Roommate!

Anyone here in need of a roommate? Or know of an apartment open? Looking to spend no more than $250 a month.

Thanks!

Hi all!

Recently moved up to Quito from Ambato for work. I am looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment, room to rent, or someone who is interested in finding someone with me. If anyone has any information at all, I would love to hear from you! Thank you.

Hola!

Me mudé a Quito recien de Ambato. Voy a pasar este año trabajando aca. Ahorita busco un departamento de 1-2 habitaciones, un cuarto arrendar, o encontrar alguien interesado en buscando algo conmigo para compartir. Uno que sabe algo o se queda interesado en algo me avisas por favor! Gracias!

We were wondering if you were moving from Ambato to Quito. Good luck with the search. May you find something in Dr. BillŽs neighborhood, although DefueraŽs hood doesnŽt sound too shabby either.

Hi suprsweets,

I also invite you to post an advert in the Shared accommodation in Quito section.

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Nards,

Who are these people you speak of?

suprsweets wrote:

Nards,

Who are these people you speak of?

LOL. We the peeps, readers of Expat-Blogs.

When you posted the first comment, my reaction was that you probably should provide some more information about the area you are looking to live in. Then you immediately clarified with a follow-up post. So it was really me who wondering, but I decided to project my curiosity on to others. An inane comment on my part, but I still had the Quito apartment discussion from this thread on my mind.

I've got a three bedroom apt in North Central Quito, the Jipijapa neighborhood. 5 minutes walk to the bus. Nice safe area. You be sharing the place with me, my gf, and her 6 year old son.

[moderated: no free ad on the forum. Please use the housing section.]

Hi,
I was wondering if you ever found a flat share in Quito, and if so, how/where?
Thanks, Nora

Hi Colleen,

Tbh I've only been here about a week, so not sure how much insight I'll have. I think the safety depends on the area to a big extent. In the day time I think it's fine to take out your phone on the street in most places you'd be going, but watch out for pickpockets once you put it back. I might not take it out in some areas at night, but again, I just got here so I don't know. I think it's fine to bring a laptop to a cafe in certain areas of the city, while in others walking around with a laptop might make you more of a target. I think it's like a lot of cities in developing places (or anywhere really): you can minimize the risks by using common sense, but obviously can't eliminate them entirely. Don't walk alone at night, only take the official taxis (and there's also an app called Easy Taxi that's safer; I haven't used it yet but I will I think), don't wear really flashy jewelry or walk around with expensive electronics hanging out so they're easy to grab (plus it's best to not look like you're carrying a lot of expensive things and money!). I hope this helps, even though I don't have much experience here yet!

Nora

Quito feels quite safe to me, about as safe as most large US cities. i haven't ever been robbed here. I did almost get beat up when I foolishly flipped off a car full of very drunk guys that nearly ran me and my wife over. My wife did get robbed in Quito last year. Someone followed her from the bank after she made a large withdrawl and robber her in a busy area in broad daylight.

There are safer cities than Quito, and there are places that are much more dangerous.

jessekimmerling wrote:

My wife did get robbed in Quito last year. Someone followed her from the bank after she made a large withdrawl and robbed her in a busy area in broad daylight.

Short of being express-kidnapped* or attacked with a weapon, this is about as scary a scenario as an Expat is likely to contemplate.

In fact, it deserves more exposure than it's likely to get on this "Roommate" thread.

So, a new thread has been created titled:  "Robbed For Big Bucks in Broad Daylight After Leaving a Bank."

To navigate over there, type the first few words of the new thread into the Search Expat.com box that normally appears atop this page, and then click on the search icon just to the right of said box.

I hope Jesse will continue to participate, as I have a question for him at the new thread, and his answer may be of considerable interest on this blog.

cccmedia in Quito

* Although it could occur anywhere, express kidnapping has historically been perpetrated in Guayaquil far more than any other place in Ecuador.  A typical scenario is for "malditos"' to enter an Expat's stopped taxi and force him to get money for them from ATM(s) until they obtain $600.  It's widely known that police in EC normally do not investigate robberies at that level or below.  In about ten months during 2012, a total of 510 express kidnappings were perpetrated in Guayaquil.  (Jan.-Nov. 12, 2012, as reported by the publication "Dialogo.")