Menu
Expat.com

pub for the evening

Last activity 21 June 2014 by Christopher Wong

howietp

Any suggestions for a decent pub this evening? Not a loud nightclub, but just a relaxed place to have a couple of beers or wine.

sghsaigon

Universal Bar, 90 Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao, District 1.

ngao010388

Hi there,

Boston bar, 28/4 Bui Vien, District 1.
It's also my favorite one.

laidbackfreak
sghsaigon wrote:

Universal Bar

bloody awful place, it doesn't know if it wants to be a sports bar or a live music place. It tries to be both, but fails miserably.
They can never get the sports set up right without flicking around the channels during games and the band is mediocre at best.

Certainly not a venue I'd chose for a quiet drink!

howietp

Ended up going to wine embassy. Not a pub but certainly relaxed and quiet enough for conversation. Thx for the suggestions.

sghsaigon
laidbackfreak wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

Universal Bar

bloody awful place, it doesn't know if it wants to be a sports bar or a live music place. It tries to be both, but fails miserably.
They can never get the sports set up right without flicking around the channels during games and the band is mediocre at best.

So a bar has to limit itself and do just 1 thing ??
So a bar that expands double it's size after 1 year is a failure ??
lots of the owners of the big live music bars come to Universal to search for talent ... The bar is open 24/7, outside of when a band is on it's a quiet place for a drink ...
where do you drink at ??

DRUNK_PHO_KING_MONKEY

I know it wont work for tonight but in a few more days we will be open. its a small quiet outside bar for expats and locals on bui vien called the Drunk pho king monkey. Hope to see you there soon! big_smile.png

saigonmonkey
sghsaigon wrote:
laidbackfreak wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

Universal Bar

lots of the owners of the big live music bars come to Universal to search for talent ... The bar is open 24/7, outside of when a band is on it's a quiet place for a drink ...
where do you drink at ??

Sghsaigon - are you the owner of Universal Bar? If you are, be advised that the customer is always right. If you're not the owner, be advised that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like Universal OK, and wouldn't say it's "bloody awful", but there ARE better places to go. It just depends on one's taste.

lirelou

Just my two cents. A world class city is not a world class city without a decent pub. If you're lucky, they'll have several. My favorite in Seoul was the Three Alley Pub. Gunter has since relocated to Thailand (Pataya?), and there were several other younger and louder pubs worth the effort. Three Alley was good for trivia nights and sports, but otherwise you could actually have a conversation. A younger, mostly English teacher crowd preferred a Sports Pub whose name I've forgotten, owned by a young kiwi. It was great on hurling and gaelic football nights, and English Soccer league nights. On summer and fall Saturday nights, the South African crowd would brai up some Boerwors in the street and sell Springbok by the bottle.

So, a good pub is where Yanks and Commonwealthers alike can sip a classy beer at and enjoy themselves with mates. If Saigon has any, I'd appreciate a shout. I can't imagine Can Tho would have one.

laidbackfreak
sghsaigon wrote:

No not at all, but it should be able to adapt to the customers on any given night, this place has a jumped up little guy running the place who doesn't know the meaning of customer service. Some of the staff are great and friendly and even apologise for him!

sghsaigon wrote:

Bar's here always boom in the first year as others check them out. I've also see the numbers drop as they get bored and move to the next "new kid on the block".

sghsaigon wrote:

lots of the owners of the big live music bars come to Universal to search for talent ...

And probably leave without finding any big_smile.png ok maybe they do but I've only seen the same band play there several times and as I've said they are mediocre. I see plenty of good\decent bands elsewhere both resident bands and guest gigs.

sghsaigon wrote:

The bar is open 24/7, outside of when a band is on it's a quiet place for a drink ...

I'm sure it is, all places have "quiet periods" especially if your open 24/7 big_smile.png But that balance of evening time and quiet is always tricky while customers may want that, publicans don't often want the same.

sghsaigon wrote:

where] do you drink at ??

Plenty of places depending on my mood and requirements. Let me know if you want to buy me a drink sometime smile.png

sghsaigon
DRUNK_PHO_KING_MONKEY wrote:

I know it wont work for tonight but in a few more days we will be open. its a small quiet outside bar for expats and locals on bui vien called the Drunk pho king monkey. Hope to see you there soon! big_smile.png

What is the address ?? i will drop by ...

sghsaigon
laidbackfreak wrote:
sghsaigon wrote:

No not at all, but it should be able to adapt to the customers on any given night, this place has a jumped up little guy running the place who doesn't know the meaning of customer service. Some of the staff are great and friendly and even apologise for him!

sghsaigon wrote:

Bar's here always boom in the first year as others check them out. I've also see the numbers drop as they get bored and move to the next "new kid on the block".

That is true ...

sghsaigon wrote:

lots of the owners of the big live music bars come to Universal to search for talent ...

And probably leave without finding any big_smile.png ok maybe they do but I've only seen the same band play there several times and as I've said they are mediocre. I see plenty of good\decent bands elsewhere both resident bands and guest gigs.

Can you recommend some good bands around town, there has been a big void since Juram left ...

sghsaigon wrote:

The bar is open 24/7, outside of when a band is on it's a quiet place for a drink ...

I'm sure it is, all places have "quiet periods" especially if your open 24/7 big_smile.png But that balance of evening time and quiet is always tricky while customers may want that, publicans don't often want the same.

sghsaigon wrote:

where] do you drink at ??

Plenty of places depending on my mood and requirements. Let me know if you want to buy me a drink sometime smile.png

yeah no problems lol

levis101

Deutsches Eck a german restaurant at Hung Vuong 1 District 7..

DRUNK_PHO_KING_MONKEY

Thanks, the address will be 155 bui vien. Should be open this saturday night :-)

skads

try a Bar called GAME ON D1

Katie_Le

May I suggest you Maya lounge at 152 Nguyen Hue, Dist 1, or Broma rooftop at Nguyen Hue , Dist 1 also, you can enjoy cocktail & environment with friends there ....

Olf2000
levis101 wrote:

Deutsches Eck a german restaurant at Hung Vuong 1 District 7..

I have been several times there. Good Food, Good Service (mixed Filipino / VN Staff), Good beer selection.
And always cooler than D1!!

sghsaigon

Try a new bar called The Orient, 24 Ngo Van Nam, D1. Off Le Thanh Ton.

Christopher Wong

Try a bar named Red Bar nearby Bitexco Tower. Good music , good food , and good people. And they have the longest " Happy hour " in HCMC as they claim that. Cheers mate.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ho Chi Minh City

All of Ho Chi Minh City's guide articles