Satellite antenna in Hungary

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask if any of you uses a satellite antenna ? It seems there is a law in Hungary which prohibits placing an antenna outside the flat or at the window and so I am confused  where I could actually place it. Unfortunately there is no way I could get the channels from my country (Romania) online. Neither of the tv providers here in Hungary do not offer packages that suit my needs....

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks you very much in advance. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

crina2783 wrote:

....ask if any of you uses a satellite antenna ? It seems there is a law in Hungary which prohibits placing an antenna outside the flat or at the window and so I am confused  where I could actually place it. ....

Look around. Are other dishes on the walls? Balconies?

I don't know of any law like that, but perhaps a rule of your apartment building. Some countries do have laws to say the dish should be below the roof line so it is not as visible but they don't stop you putting one up. In yet other countries, you cannot fix dishes to monuments, very old buildings or in areas where the character of the environment would be damaged.

Generally the best place for your dish is on the roof with a clear line of sight to the satellite. On the balcony or just inside the window might not get you an optimum signal.

For Romania, the dish would be quite small. If you bolted your dish onto the balcony, I doubt anyone would actually say anything.

You can also try and get a transparent dish so no-one can see it easily or you can paint your existing dish in the same colour as the wall to disguise it.

Hi, thanks a lot for your message. I looked around but unfortunately i could not see any such antenna placed on the balcony or window...

You are mentioning about a transparent dish..do you know where i could purchase it?

Thanks again.

crina2783 wrote:

You are mentioning about a transparent dish..do you know where i could purchase it?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately no, but I assume your broadcast satellite is using the "Ku" band for transmissions so you could in fact, buy any transparent satellite dish of the right size (ask the seller for the right size for the location) in Romania and bring it or send it to Hungary.

You should also ask the supplier to provide the correct LNB (the bit at the end of the arm on the dish).

Hi,

Yes, most municipalities, districts and/or condos has a rule on putting satellite dishes on balconies or facades in general.

I'd second fluffy2560 that rooftops are way better. Yet you need a good housemaster and/or neighbors to let this happen. We have once managed to install a huge dish for watching Turkish non-satellite broadcasts on the inner part of Andrassy for a client.

Good luck,