Solar power

Has anyone successfully fitted solar power, lighting or hot water systems to their cottage? I have not really seen many houses with this in Hungary but it is everywhere in the UK
Thanks

anns wrote:

Has anyone successfully fitted solar power, lighting or hot water systems to their cottage? I have not really seen many houses with this in Hungary but it is everywhere in the UK
Thanks

You can do it in Hungary easily enough but don't expect to make any money. The Hungarian FIT (Feed In Tariff) is not high enough to make it a really serious investment with quick payback.

What most people do here is solar thermal:
Boost their hot water boiler and winter heating with non-PV panels.
Needs a pool to dump excess heat in the summer though.

Thermal insulation or heat pumps with underground pipes are also often better investments.

My neighbour has recently fitted a water solar system on the roof. It looks like a row of glass tubes and a cylindrical tank. I don't know if they have to drain it down for winter.

fidobsa wrote:

My neighbour has recently fitted a water solar system on the roof. It looks like a row of glass tubes and a cylindrical tank. I don't know if they have to drain it down for winter.

No, it uses a special liquid like anti-freeze.

fluffy2560 wrote:

The Hungarian FIT (Feed In Tariff) is not high enough to make it a really serious investment with quick payback.

That is the truth. The usual incentives from the Hungarian government are lovingly referred to as "a joke". But it is nearing the elections, so who know what money will be spread around in the next few months.

Most of the people I know who have installed either solar voltaic or hot water systems are expats, not Hungarians.

klsallee wrote:

....That is the truth. The usual incentives from the Hungarian government are lovingly referred to as "a joke". But it is nearing the elections, so who know what money will be spread around in the next few months.

One of the only reasons I can think that solar power would be worthwhile if the FIT is too low, is to use the power for oneself (of course) but primarily to charge up an electric/hybrid car, i.e. offset on fuel taxes.