Menu
Expat.com

Do you ever miss anything from home?

Last activity 05 March 2014 by beppi

elyse256

Hi, my name is Jeanette and I am moving to Singapore soon. I was wondering if any of the other expats ever miss anything from home? I haven't really traveled in that area of the world much, so I am wondering what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hubbennrelle
elyse256 wrote:

Hi, my name is Jeanette and I am moving to Singapore soon. I was wondering if any of the other expats ever miss anything from home? I haven't really traveled in that area of the world much, so I am wondering what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SG is a great country, they have lots of good places to go

you'll enjoy here. . .smile.png see you

Bitcoin

Nothing can be wrong singapore is a nice country unjust need to find new friends like me smile.png

Bronwyn Joy

There's always something, but if there's anywhere in the world you can find reminders of home, it'll be Singapore. Such a melting pot, a big port of trade, and of course the entrepreneurial spirit means if money can buy it, someone will probably get it to you!

Probably the biggest thing I miss (not counting people) is an occasional bout of cold weather and a lifestyle a little less hectic.

beppi

Some people (not me) miss seasons.
Some (incl. me) miss nature and wide open spaces.
Many miss friends and family.
Most people miss some small items from home, like familiar brands or foodstuffs, but these are small issues compared to the above.

shogo

I miss Farmer's Union Iced coffee and iced coffee in general. A lot of places in Singapore charge up to 8 dollars for a 'coffee extract premix'. The only good iced coffee I can find here is at Dome and Jones the grocer.

beppi

Iced coffee (of a differend kind than what you might expect, but still good and addictive) is available for approx. S$1-1.50 per mug at every hawker centre. Please try it!
Edited to add: You need to order "Ais Kopi" or "Kopi Beng".

Jasmine Foong

I am missing my hometown Malaysia Ipoh "White Coffee" or "bak kopi".  It is very "gau" or delicious.  Miss that much and sometimes I went to old town white coffee (branch in singapore) and taste it.  Singapore coffee is not as tasty if compare to Ipoh province in Perak state, Malaysia. 

Regards
Foongsister (Jasmine)

KikiK

There is nothing that you cannot buy here (be prepared to spend more on particular products though). I miss my family, my friends, fields, cold fresh air, snow. I miss the German bread and my hairdresser who knew how to handle my hair smile.png. What I want to say is, you will miss things and people but you will get so much back: new friends, a nice tan all the time, you'll see places many people won't see, etc. It's def worth it smile.png

elyse256

Thanks everyone. I arrived two days ago and finally understand a bit of what you have been saying. So far I can't complain about the weather, but the one coffee I had so far was pretty awful. Mostly, I would have to agree with missing friends and family. People seem very nice in general so far, but I still haven't figured out the best way to meet people here. I think I got spoiled in my last city; it was just so easy there.

radnomaciotns

Either Singapore or any other country in the world - nowhere it is possible to find Russian Buckwheat. It seems like only Russians like this food. I think people all around the globe should consider eating buckwheat along with rice. Have anyone tried it?

beppi

Japanese Soba noodles are made from buckwheat.
I am not sure if Japanese foods stores have the raw material (buckwheat flour), but it may be worth a try.
Also health food stores might have it.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

• Expat deaths in Singapore
    Expat deaths in Singapore

It's hard to face, but there comes a time when we must end our time on Earth. While we can't predict when ...

• Banking in Singapore
    Banking in Singapore

Singapore offers a wide range of personal banking services and has a complete offering of international banking ...

All of Singapore's guide articles