Menu
Expat.com

not being a board passer cannot find better job in western countries?

Last activity 28 November 2013 by James

MYLYN PEREZ

i was really pissed of this morning with a friend who lives in the USA, at first he asked me if i have no plans to take my board exam and be a CPA, i told him that in order for me to get my CPA board examnination i will have to take another year in college for some academic subjects that required and a review classes. I'm a business administration major in financial accounting graduate which is  only 4 years course and dont have board exam, if i want to be a CPA i have to take another year because business administration major in accountancy is a 5 years course here in the PH. In the middle of our conversation i felt so little because according to him i will never find better job or even just an accounting assistant in western countries. In his words he telling me that no companies in western countries that will hire me., and i can only get job here in the PH. and in the middle east but in western im just nothing. I told him that being hired in a companies is not about your certificate its about your experience and how you hundle the job offer, for me certificate is just a piece of paper taht you get when you took a deep review in your academics and passed the exam, while experience is the most powerful weapon taht you got from teh application of your skills in the actual job.

is there anyone who could tell me that my friend is right?

James

By now you should already know that in western countries when you do an audit you must sign off on it. How can you do that if you don't have your CPA degree? Of course your friend is right. Any company you apply to work at is going to want to see your degree.

Without a degree you will be lucky to get a job entering data in accounts receivable.

MYLYN PEREZ

of course i know that only CPA can sign the audit work. but i my i am a bachelors graduate and this course doesn't have a board exam, it isnt BS accountancy, it is BS business administration major in financial accounting, maybe for other people they will think it is BS accountancy but it isnt.

So are you also saying that because i didnt take the board exam means i cannot get a better job in western countries? i know it is in high competence  if you apply for accounting job in the western but there are also a lot of different job vancies which i think is also good one not just accounting jobs.

MYLYN PEREZ

what made me really pissed of is when he said when i come in the western countries im just nothing, only because my bachelor's degree doesnt have a board exam employer will think im just nothing? what if i will apply for just sales clerk or accounting staff? they will not hire me because i dont have certification of cpa?

ECS

if you need a visa to work in a country, credentials aren't just "a piece of paper". You're competing against all the people who don't need visas for that job, and in western Europe, that's the entire European Economic Area.

Of course you can apply and maybe you'll find an employer who values the experience you have an doesn't care about the piece of paper. You won't know until you apply. However, the fact is that immigration authorities, the ones who process your visa, are notoriously unpredictable when it comes who who they approve and who gets rejected.

stumpy

When looking to work overseas the fact is that you will need qualifications for a visa/work permit. 

Experience means very little as governments hold great store in people with qualifications when it comes to issuing visas etc. 

I am speaking from experience on this.Although I have been in the construction industry for 45+years, there are countries that will not let me work there unless I have qualifications, and I have none, only experience.

James

You have a Bachelor of Science in Accounting, which in western countries will get you a job as a bookkeeper crunching numbers on accounts receivable/payable, payroll, income and expense reports and not much else.

You will never climb the ladder beyond just being a glorified data entry clerk.

My work takes me inside some of the largest financial institutions in Brazil. I see whole departments with over a hundred people, almost all of whom have BA or BS degrees of some kind. They all work together in an open plan office, simply punching keyboards, doing boring and repetitive tasks and will never climb above that since the middle and upper managment people all have CA or CPA after their name. If it's like that here in Brazil (an almost third world country still) imagine what it is like in developed nations.

Articles to help you in your expat project

• Working in Taiwan
    Working in Taiwan

Working in Taiwan depends on your skill set and the job you seek. Expats can find a wide range of jobs around the ...

• Working in the Dominican Republic
    Working in the Dominican Republic

If you are looking for a job in the Dominican Republic (DR), here are some tips and suggestions. Job hunting can ...

• Work in Costa Rica
    Work in Costa Rica

A low unemployment rate and a strong economy set Costa Rica apart from its neighbours. If you have fallen in love ...

• Setting up a business in Greece
    Setting up a business in Greece

Starting your own company or being self-employed in Greece is not easy for non-locals, let alone for non-EU ...

• Setting up a business in the Dominican Republic
    Setting up a business in the Dominican Republic

The Dominican Republic has indeed been attracting foreign investment over the past few decades, with notable ...

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Starting a business in Italy
    Starting a business in Italy

Are you interested in moving to Italy and setting up a business here? Italy's reputation for bureaucracy and ...

• Internships in Qatar
    Internships in Qatar

If you dream of acquiring professional experience in a Gulf country, Qatar can be the ideal destination for you. ...

All guide articles