Menu
Expat.com

I need an advice, please! I don't understand where I'm making mistakes

Last activity 15 February 2014 by Sander van Houdt

NorthernStar

Hi!

I'm an Italian lady based in Rotterdam and I'm looking for a job. But my job hunting is a real disaster! I send my cv everywhere, for any job, but nobody replies me. I'm also studying Dutch at the first level, but I don't practice it becasue making friends is difficult, here. I live with my boyfriend, who luckily works for an American company.
Staying at home is so boring! I don't know what to do! I corrected thousands times my cv, removing and/or adding stuff.
I'm also thinking to remove my trainings in a travel agency because they are old and they haven't been so important. Or, well, they're important only for the fact that I made them through the school and their purpose was to learn something practical about the things that I was studying at that time.
I don't know what's wrong with my cv. I don't understand what employers don't like.
So, if someone would be so kind to help me, I would be happy.

Fijne dag!
Licia

Primadonna

Ciao Licia,

Maybe because there is not enough jobs for every one?
I know that the Dutch economy is climbing so maybe you need more patient.

If you want I can take a peek on your cv?

For boredom and practice your Dutch I have an other suggestion: try to do some volunteers work in a field what suit you the best.
And if you add your volunteers work on your C.V it will give a good impression for the employees.

NorthernStar

Many thanks for your reply. Can I have your email address to send you my cv? Maybe you can see something that I don't see. Thank you very much!

Licia

Meisje

Hi Licia,

I understand how you feel, it's been my second year here and I have had a hard time finding a suitable job. I applied for jobs via the internet, job agencies, linkedin, walk in and even just hand out my CV to any retail vacancies available. I only get jobs that are either not suitable for me or those I do not enjoy doing.
Like you, I too don't understand what the employers here want, other than good command of Dutch to begin with. But I've been told on countless occasions my Dutch is pretty good despite the fact that I self studied it. Maybe it's just the darn economy or my location is too of grid.
Anyway, keep trying and who knows maybe some company will respond to you soon.
Cheers,
Kris

Sander van Houdt

Ciao,

Forget about it, do not despair. The job market in Holland is a complete disaster at the moment........ For every vacancy there are at the very least 500 people available.

Your Italian language might be a way to make a difference. Capisce?  :-)
This company might be interesting for you: Unique Multilingual www.unique.nl/umls

Or try to find an Italian company whom you can help do business over here...... Maybe in the travel agency business?

All the best! Tutto il meglio!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Rotterdam

All of Rotterdam's guide articles