Pass the ball

Not much time left till football World Cup starts! I suppose there must be at least a few football fans here, so who are you gonna support? how far you expect them to go? and who you think is gonna win?? tell me all about it :)

I support Germany, sure they have a chance (as always) but for some reason I feel that I'm gonna be disappointed :/

Well, I'm just hoping US makes it out of the first round.. possibly the second?  That would be fabulous!

My favorite S. American team has always been Argentina.

European team?  Italy but a few World Cups back I was really rooting for the Turkish team (underdogs who were playing so, so well!).

I think it's gonna be tough for US team but they are improving fast and they might surprise us.

come onnnnnnnnnnn.. we both know that any team can beat any given team on any given day.  Skill plays a big part, of course, but there are so many variables.

I didn't say US doesn't stand a chance alliecat infact they have a pretty good chance but its gonna be tough becuase the rest of the teams in the group aren't easy.

By the way I wanna ask you a question, did you observe any improvement in the popularity of football in the US in the past few years? is it attracting more athletes now than before?

Support the Asian representatives!   --- Australia.

I didn't say US doesn't stand a chance

Well, we don't stand at chance at winning the thing; I'm an optimist but not delusional lol

But we have made it through the second round before and I'm hoping we can at least match that :)

did you observe any improvement in the popularity of football in the US in the past few years? is it attracting more athletes now than before?

'Soccer' is very popular in the US (both my kids played all through grade school and into high) but we'll never have really good players until schools/youth sports programs have good, experienced coaches.  When my kids were playing, 'Dads' who had no experience and who'd never played were the coaches.

At the university level, I'm sure there are good coaches but as we all know, in order to be World Cup material, a kid should be dribbling a ball (as opposed to dribbling his milk lol) from the time he or she is a toddler!

Also, you have to remember that in the States, we have numerous popular sports (American football, baseball, basketball and hockey) vieing for the same pool of student athletes.

I support France, without enthousiasm though. Several french players are currently involved in an underage prostitution scandal. Plus France stole Ireland its place at the WC finals by scoring a goal with the hand during the qualification phase.
so we clearly donot deserve to win.

Beside France, my favorites are Germany, Spain and the Netherlands. My european blood is certainly speaking.

Well Heady what can we say it seems as if football (like almost every other sport) has become another victim of the win-at-all-costs mentality :( hope we won't see any of that in the finals this year...

its always has been and always will be the one and only Samba football team...BRAZIL...but i guess knowing the current coach, their free flowing football wont be seen too often.

If I cared, I would support Brasil, my second home country.

But, by and large, I don't.

I have been in two different countries during the World Cup; USA (Boston) and Korea...

Just can't get excited about a game that can end 0-0 and be decided on "Golden Goals".

But for those of you who are "footie" fans, have a great time.