Menu
Expat.com

Software Package for Learning Mandarin

Last activity 25 January 2012 by feima

Ottontarion

Can anyone recommend a software package for learning Mandarin Chinese?  I have seen high praise for Rosetta Stone.

I would like to take a course but will probably need to wait a few months before I can make the time for some night lessons.

Ottontarion

Any recommendation on an electronic english to mandarin dictionary and where I could pick one up would be welcome as well.

adoresimon

If you are in Guangzhou, I could teach you! way much better than those apps. haha...
big_smile.png

adoresimon

lingoes.cn

this is a dictionary software, you could add the vocabulary by yourself.. you might need your Chinese friends' help to install.

chinagbud

Rosetta Stone is ok, I bought it before I came to Beijing.  I have completed all 3 levels 2 times through, I would say its a good way to get an introduction, but I'm not very impressed as far as being able to speak.  It helped sure, but I think nothing can be better than taking classes, I think that's what I will have to do.  I'm from California, living in Beijing about 7 months.

Ottontarion
adoresimon wrote:

If you are in Guangzhou, I could teach you! way much better than those apps. haha...
big_smile.png

smile.png I would learn much more that way too but the 200 trillion kms between Beijing and Guangzhou would be a killer commute tongue.png

Ottontarion
chinagbud wrote:

Rosetta Stone is ok, I bought it before I came to Beijing.  I have completed all 3 levels 2 times through, I would say its a good way to get an introduction, but I'm not very impressed as far as being able to speak.  It helped sure, but I think nothing can be better than taking classes, I think that's what I will have to do.  I'm from California, living in Beijing about 7 months.

Ah.. I was hoping it would be more helpful but I have friends taking courses and in three weeks they seem to passing where I would like to be.  I guess the consensus is take a course...

Now to find one that opens late..

FeeAcer

Hello Ottontarion,
Did you think of checking out Language classes in Beijing's Classifieds?
Maybe this could help smile.png
Cheers
Arlette

TinTurtle

I have used ChinesePod (website) and it is ok.  I have the Pleco package for the iPhone and it is essential, but it doesn't teach me to speak Chinese.  ChinesePod has the videos for the iPhone too and that helps kill time in the taxi.

I am convinced you really have to take lessons full time to really get anywhere with it and I just can't commit to that.

feima

Try : Beijing International Chinese College : hibicc.com
         Chinese language education  : chinaledu.com
         Speak Chinese    : speakchinese.cn

Articles to help you in your expat project in Beijing

• Study in Beijing
    Study in Beijing

China's capital is not only the second largest city in the country (after Shanghai) but also a leading hub in ...

• The importance of English language in China.
    The importance of English language in China.

Languages are a fascinating subject, particularly when it concerns the amount of speakers. Currently, the English ...

• Study in China
    Study in China

China offers opportunities not only for seasoned professionals and businessmen but also those wishing to acquire ...

• Accommodation in Beijing
    Accommodation in Beijing

If you are moving to Beijing, one of the first to-dos on your list will be finding a place to live. China's ...

• Finding work in Beijing
    Finding work in Beijing

Beijing is the capital of China, and as the country's major city, it offers a wide range of opportunities for ...

• Must-see places in Beijing
    Must-see places in Beijing

So, now if you’re visiting in one of the national holidays (like I visited during the Tomb Sweeping Days), ...

• Accommodation in Dalian
    Accommodation in Dalian

Dalian is the biggest city in Liaoning province. The city is home to over six million people, many of which are ...

All of Beijing's guide articles