Menu
Expat.com

Home Time?

Last activity 01 September 2012 by stumpy

hidley

Hey all,
for those who have returned already: how did you decide that you were ready to return to your home country? Do you regret it?
for those who are still abroad: do you ever think about when you'll go back?

I'm living abroad and loving it still, but struggling to get jobs and a bit de-motivated on the language front. Have considered going home but, well, I'm not sure if I'm ready to leave.. Anyway let me know your experiences/ thoughts!
thanks!

Jo Ann

Hey Hidley, welcome.

I'm 26 and I've lived 18 years of my life abroad... So I think I'm gonna stick with France for a while ;-)

expat.com

I came back home twice at the end of my contracts (I was living in London then Madrid). Going back home is not so easy... I moved again!

EuropeWord

It is nice to return to your home country/town, but in most of the cases you must be really motivated. For example, you miss your family, your friends or simply the life there.
When I'm missing my family, I just call them. And I visit them a couple of times per year. Of course, I don't regret it.

Ayten Mehaya

I found it little hard adapting at first ..

ECS

I've been living away from "home" for five years now and I don't miss it as much as I think I'm supposed to by now.

I miss family and friends of course and the visits home are frustratingly short because there are so many people to see during a few days.  But, I am not ready to go back to my home country and wonder if I ever will be.

Adding complication to the matter is that my significant other is not the same nationality as I am. If we stick together that means one of us will never be "home".

joeshik

The bitter truth is that u r more happy in your naive country but more successfull abroad.

ladyliberty
joeshik wrote:

The bitter truth is that u r more happy in your naive country but more successfull abroad.

This is quite blanket statement, and one that I doubt is true for the majority of expats (certainly not for me).

madam gray

Lived in Europe for 7 yrs, been home for 20 and have never stopped wanting to leave, so, at 65 I'm selling everything, and going to give So. Amer. a try. Planes never stop flying.

all9bouTpriNt01

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

kiwiinkorea

I went back home to New Zealand earlier this year and after 2 weeks all I could think of was being back here. Kind of a strange feeling as the place I call home is no longer where I come from originally.

Fred
kiwiinkorea wrote:

I went back home to New Zealand earlier this year and after 2 weeks all I could think of was being back here. Kind of a strange feeling as the place I call home is no longer where I come from originally.

I think I'd find it very hard to return to the UK.
I'm not even especially bothered about a holiday over there.

James

I've been living in Brazil for over ten years now. I'm married to a wonderful young Brazilian woman and we have a beautiful five year old son. This truly is my HOME now, I really don't have any plans to return to Canada other than for a visit.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

stumpy

Kiwi born, settled briefly in Australia then spent 40 years working around the world. Now married with family in Laos. Go there on my leave breaks. 
Only go back to NZ to visit my eldery dad.

Articles to help you in your expat project

• Finding accommodation in Australia
    Finding accommodation in Australia

There are many types of flats, rentals, and houses in Australia, ranging from modern units to more traditional ...

• Accommodation in Manila
    Accommodation in Manila

There are lots of renting options to choose from when relocating to Manila. Most expats in the Philippines live in ...

• Renting accommodation in Qatar
    Renting accommodation in Qatar

Due to the constant movement of expatriates in Qatar, there is a huge variety of rental options to suit all ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Buying a property in Hong Kong
    Buying a property in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is home to a large number of expats, many of whom call the city their second home. Thus, it comes as no ...

• Accommodation in Iloilo
    Accommodation in Iloilo

Iloilo, nicknamed the 'Heart of the Philippines', is a province stretching over 4,663 km² in the ...

• Accommodation in Davao
    Accommodation in Davao

Davao is an established metropolitan area with its capital, Davao City, catching up to the main Philippine cities ...

• Accommodation in Cebu
    Accommodation in Cebu

Located in the Visayas region, 750 km from Manila and West of the Negros Island, Cebu is one of the major ...

All guide articles