Menu
Expat.com

A long trip to the far East...

Last activity 29 October 2014 by stumpy

JD5558

I would really love to hear from anyone who is working, travelling or living in the far east or planning to (Thailand/Cambodia particularly) as I am looking to do this myself really soon and need contacts and advice or just someone to have a chat about it all with. I guess I need to know where to begin or whether just to take the plunge and make it an adventure...

kenjee

Hello JD5558 and welcome to Expat.com

Could you please be more specific in what you are seeking please? So that members can bring you some help.

Also I suggest you to visit the country's forum so as to gather some useful infos rather than posting here on the Asia forum.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

stumpy
JD5558 wrote:

I would really love to hear from anyone who is working, travelling or living in the far east or planning to (Thailand/Cambodia particularly) as I am looking to do this myself really soon and need contacts and advice or just someone to have a chat about it all with. I guess I need to know where to begin or whether just to take the plunge and make it an adventure...

First is to make sure you have adequate funds at you disposal  with some set aside as an emergency fund.

Then pick a country and check on visa requirements, do some research on the do's and dont's etc.'

Organize tickets and accommodation then go for it....

As far as countries go Cambodia is the easiest to get into visa wise.

Check this site out for cost of living etc in different countries. www.numbeo.com 

Remember to take out medical insurance cover and not just travel insurance as travel insurance is only a temporary cover for a something like 3 months only in a particular country and does not cover you for accidents on hire motorbikes.

Good luck.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Asia

• Working in Taiwan
    Working in Taiwan

Working in Taiwan depends on your skill set and the job you seek. Expats can find a wide range of jobs around the ...

• Driving in Taiwan
    Driving in Taiwan

To drive any vehicle in Taiwan, you are required to have a license. This includes renting a car or scooter. All ...

• Banking and finance in Taiwan
    Banking and finance in Taiwan

Whether you're a business owner, a student, or a foreign professional living in Taiwan, having a local bank ...

• Getting married in the Philippines
    Getting married in the Philippines

Getting married in the Philippines provides a backdrop of immense beauty through stunning beaches, tropical ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Phones and internet in Taiwan
    Phones and internet in Taiwan

Relocating to a foreign country like Taiwan can be an exciting yet challenging experience. However, with the ...

• Moving to Japan with your family
    Moving to Japan with your family

So, you have decided to move abroad with your family, but how can you get ready for this new adventure? How can ...

• Marriage in Hong Kong
    Marriage in Hong Kong

There are many reasons why you may want to get married in Hong Kong. You could be a long-term expat and have ...

All of Asia's guide articles