Finding a House for Rent

I'm moving to Helsinki soon and I'm trying to find a house for rent. Not an apartment, but a house. It can be small (even very small), but I want a garden, since I have two large dogs and keeping them in an apartment would be a nightmare. The house doesn't have to be central, as long as I can reach the city in 45 minutes or less. I'm at a loss as to how to look for one, since I'm currently out of the country. I've lived in four other European countries and I was always able to rent a place over the internet, before my arrival. I'm hoping to do the same for Helsinki, but can't seem to find a way to get started. Help!

Hi dotx! Did you try to have a look at the Helsinki classifieds > accommodation section. You can event post your ad there as well.

I wish you good luck in your search
Christine

Unfortunately, everything listed there is apartments/shares. I've never seen a house advertised. I also searched Craigslist with no luck. I was hoping somebody had an idea of where to go or could recommend a specific real estate agency. Seems weird that there are no places to go to for house rentals.

dotx, I don't know if you have already found something, but I took the trouble to search for something for you on the website oikotie.fi.

tinyurl.com/2c9qqn3
/tinyurl.com/36ff6wo
tinyurl.com/25e2e7p

The small single-family house hardly exists in Helsinki. You may have to go outside of town and you may have to travel for more than 45 minutes. Unless money is no obstacle to you.

Good luck!

citizen1 wrote:

dotx, I don't know if you have already found something, but I took the trouble to search for something for you on the website oikotie.fi.

tinyurl.com/2c9qqn3
tinyurl.com/36ff6wo
tinyurl.com/25e2e7p

The small single-family house hardly exists in Helsinki. You may have to go outside of town and you may have to travel for more than 45 minutes. Unless money is no obstacle to you.

Good luck!

I meant that most single-family houses are big. Also, unless your dogs are huskies, you probably need to take them indoors for the winter anyway.

You can ask a dealer to find you a house, but that will cost you. Rather browse oikotie.fi with a Finnish dictionary.

Thank you so much for replying. Are these houses in the city or out of town? I don't mind living out of town. 45 minutes or less to the center would be ideal, but if I have to travel longer, that's ok too. I'm assuming the prices I see on the website are for one-month rental, right?

My dogs sleep inside the house, summer or winter. I want a yard so they can run and play around, but they wouldn't sleep outside or spend the whole day outside either. I work from home, so it would be nice to keep the doors open in summer, so they can run in and out (this means it can't be a townhouse without private yard, plus the yard should have a fence all around, so they can't run into the streets).

I know I'm asking for a lot. I wonder if it's even possible to find something unless I'm already there.

dotx, The ads that say Helsinki are within the city, if not downtown, the ones that say Espoo/Vantaa are in the metropolitan area.

Yes, the rent is per month. In the case of a flat, you usually don't pay extra for heating, but with houses it varies. It looks like a lot of the lessors don't want tenants with pets. Look for "Sallitut lemmikkieläimet". If it says "Ei" or "ei ole", that means they don't want your dogs.

Rentals usually come with an equipped kitchen, at least a sink, fridge and stove.

Lessors usually want a deposit, up to three times the sum of your rent. They usually also want you to stay for at least a year.

If you try to call a Finnish number from abroad, replace the first zero with +358.

Or it may be easiest for you to contact a dealer since you have questions that aren't usually answered in ads. Try emailing e.g. Kiinteistömaailma at info@kiinteistomaailma.fi. If they have an assignment from the landlord, they won't charge you.

Hi. Did you manage to get a house?
I may have to move to Helsinki in the summer, and am trying to see if there are houses available for rent. As you mentioned, most European cities have online portals rhat one can at least have an idea...but none can be found for Helsinki.
I know most people live in apartments in Helsinki but having lived in a 5000 sq ft house, it is hard to move into a 500 sq ft apartment. What is the "typical" size of a single family house in Helsinki? I have 2 growing children (teenagers) and thus need something with at least 3 bedrooms. Anyone can point me to the right direction?  Sorry to 'hijack' your post, dotx.

I think the reason it's hard to find anything about rental houses online is because renting houses isn't very common in Finland. Houses are usually only for sale, hardly ever for rent. Usually if a house is for rent it's on the private market and those are much harder to find online as they don't go through a real estate agency or anything.

I'm sad to say that altho I'm finnish, I can't point you to a site where you can find rental houses, as I've honestly never heard of houses for rent.

Don't be silly, people! Houses in Helsinki are rented at the same websites as apartments! You just check the box that says "omakotitalo".

I ran a quick search, and got these results: tinyurl.com/5u6f9rc

All these were advertized for rent at oikotie.fi People, get a Finnish dictionary and navigate your way on the Finnish-language site for more options.

Hi. Hi.
Actually... I dud manage to find quite a number of houses online...they were all in Finnish actually.
Think the only one in English is celine.fi