Menu
Expat.com

Tico Lifestyle

Last activity 01 November 2010 by georgy_it

ArnieB

I have read that many gringos settle into gated communities with essentially a de facto north American lifestyle, paying the premium prices and not realizing the real cost of living benefits available to retirees in CR.
Apparently the secret is to adopt the Tico lifestyle, but what exactly does this mean? We are accustomed to a kitchen equipped with a stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, etc. Our laundry facilities are a washer and dryer. We would want telephone, internet and satellite TV as well. Surely Ticos cook, preserve food and wash like everyone else. I doubt my wife would appreciate a life full of chores without the conveniences in our golden years.
I have read much about the crime rate in CR. There is concern that living in the general population (vs. a secure, gated community) could mark us as 'rich' (we're certainly not!) Americans, good potential victims of theft.
We are not flashy, flamboyant people... usually preferring blue jeans and t-shirts as our daily garb but there is some concern.

georgy_it

so you want to imigrate to Costa Rica uh!
And you are concern about what to expect living in this country, that is a pretty common question which get the same reply all the time, come here to live for sometime and decide for your self, I did it and it didn't work , but for many people it does, so you have to try your chance. Il will depend if you are ready for, not knowing your background it is difficolt to say. Just one thing, staying in CR is like living in a country life style, you have to give up some of the comforts you are used of at home and to adjust to the standards of  this underdeveloped country. Many people move to CR for economical reasons, some for the adventure, think about your reasons to move down to here and decide if it is worth.
About Ticos?
Dont worry because you will be a stranger among strangers.

erin m.

There are definitely ways to save here - electricity costs are lower, phone bills lower, internet lower...but most Ticos save on cost of living by not buying things. There is a lot that we, as Americans from the US, take for granted. For example - hot water heaters, dryers, dishwashers, inexpensive exotic cooking ingredients, inexpensive fluffy sofas, baths...the list goes on. It is expensive to import to Costa Rica, so if it is not made here, you can bet it will have a high price tag.

The crime rate rose as a result of drugs being trafficked through the country, but Costa Rica is still by far the safest country in Central America. Ticos in general are the nicest, kindest, warmest, happiest people I have ever met in my life.

I'm living the Tico lifestyle to try and learn more about where my fiancé and his family come from. I spend a lot of time washing dishes and clothes, and cooking with rudimentary tools. But I can't complain, I'm also learning how to be more relaxed and not stress about stuff. Plus it's GORGEOUS here!

I wrote about some of the efforts my Tico family puts into conserving (environment and money). You can read it here if you are interested:
delapuravida.com/2010/05/the-culture-of-conservation-in-costa-rica/
Good luck with your decision!

georgy_it

I am sorry but I have to reply to Erin, I sense from your post a warm affection toward ticos, being fiance with one it is an event that must be really heartfelt, anyway to stick on the practical aspects of tico life, I would like to comment about what you wrote , yes, one can live in an economical way in Costa Rica, indeed the bills are lower, but the relative services are wretched, the inflation is crazy,ticos are not reliable, and the list may go on and on.
I am happy that you found the home for your soul in CR, at least somebody did it.

erin m.

I did find a home for my soul here. The top two reasons are for the natural beauty here in Costa Rica and for learning how to live without stressing the small stuff.
The latter is a really important concept to grasp here because often times you do have to wait a seemingly dreadful long time for services. e.g. 3 hours in line to get my cell phone hooked up, or Ticos waiting 30 years for the new highway (autopista del sol) to be completed.
This is only my experience that I am sharing, I can't offer any more than that. Everyone's experience is different and if you are not very adventurous, I would definitely recommend a test run before committing to a move 100%.
As far as Ticos being the happiest people on earth, they were voted #1 happiest people by several worldwide polls using a variety of measures.

georgy_it

Again, I am sorry to pick on your optimistic feelings, you just bring up the crucial references which I have dealt too during my test run in this country,you are right about a living without stressing, if you accept to live like an hermit, otherwise soon or later you have to face the reality of a small stuff life, I spend comprehensibly 36 hours waiting in line at the ICE ,water and electricity offices, actually I did it because I had time to waste, otherwise I would feel it very paranoic if I really needed to be there for serious business, one last thing, the autopista, ticos waited 30 years to be completed,now they can wait 15 more before they can ride on it safely.
Dont get me wrong, I am not being judgemental as character, I am only evaluating my experience based on what are my needs, which Costa Rica didnt fulfill at all.
I dont know where you read about ticos being the happiest people, I noticed that they dont smile much, the tico humor I saw around and in television is made by gags which I saw at the circus during my childhood, it may sound bad but I think the people of CR dont have real traditions to identify their culture with, they would need an injection of spirit to make their life more interesting.
But if your stay is good,as a countryman and I can understand it and wish you the best.

erin m.

Google "happiest people on earth".

georgy_it

i found the Forbes statistic about the happiest people, it put ticos at the 6th place before Denmark and Holland and the scandinavian countries, all based in Europe, the result is given on the thriving evaluation, which I dont deny a certain self-satisfation among ticos, you can tell by the way they stuff themself with food, anyway it is a small country, the weather is fine all year long and that would please anybody.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Costa Rica

All of Costa Rica's guide articles