Menu
Expat.com

Notary, Translate docs, Apostille, Inheritance tax???

Last activity 13 September 2016 by Bob K

Kat11

Question 1).......My husband and I have our birth certificates and marriage Lic obviously, but how do we go about getting these docs translated into Spanish, Apostilled (not sure what that even is) and notarized? Do we A.) Take them with us to the Dominican Embassy in the US and they do it? or B.)  Do we have to have it done before we go there to the documents we already have? or C.) Do I send away to the State we were born in and married in and order new birth certificates and marriage lic that are apostilled and translated in Spanish and then take them locally to be notarized?  This question goes for anything else we have to get Apostilled and Translated too, is there a service that does this sort of thing?

Question 2)  I have heard or read that if you are living in the DR and you have a Inheritance coming to you that the DR take a large portion of that in taxes, I think I remember reading 50%??  God forbid something happens to my parents I would hate to think that a government would take 50% of that?  Is there something tax wise that I have to do to protect myself from being taxed on that?   Thanks!!!

texasdonkey

Under the Hague Convention, signatory countries have agreed to recognize public documents issued by other signatory countries if those public documents are authenticated by the attachment of an internationally recognized form of authentication known as an "apostille." The apostille ensures that public documents issued in one signatory country will be recognized as valid in another signatory country. FROM THE INTERNET

Notarizing is good for the USA. international recognize Apostilled

I just requested the documents I required  be apostilled and they sent me them (ie birth certificate)
then I got them notarized. Do not notarize them here if you can. too expensive and not easy to do like USA. I don't care what anyone says. do it in usa

I have all documents translated here and have had zero problems. there are services in both countries. I would just have them done there for now.

get apostilled copies, get them notarized, then translated to proper Spanish,

planner

For residencia documents there are specific instructions.  Go to the website of your closest Dominican consulate and look for the info there!   

Inheritance - first the law here is Napoleanic code and territorial in nature. What happens in USA has no bearing until you bring the money into the country.  Then you only have to declare source of funds.  An inheritance there is not taxable here. 

An inheritance here is taxable here. So if you own a house here, die here then the inheritance laws and taxes will kick in.  For this reason many expats hold real estate inside a corporation.

texasdonkey

http://www.embassypages.com/usa
find the close one to you

Kat11

Yes, I did go on website and printed out all docs needed, but it didn't really explain how and where to get the documents apostille and translated. I did email a lawyer earlier this week and will be calling him, so I can get the details from him on that.

Regarding the Inheritance.....so if I am left inheritance by someone living in the US I will not have to pay taxes on it even though I live in the DR correct?  But if I die and leave inheritance to anyone it will be taxed for them because I own property and am living in the DR correct?

Thanks

Kat11

So I don't necessarily need the documents translated into Spanish and Apostille when I make my visit to the US Dominican Embassy to bring required documents and the filled out Residential Visa application, I just need everything translated/apostille/notarized before I go to the DR Embassy correct?

I would probably have everything (translated/apostille/notarized) here in US before we go, because as I mentioned in earlier post, when we go to DR to apply for residency we only want to go for a week and apply at the DR Embassy and do our Medical exam......then fly home and wait to hear we are approved.  After that we will plan the big move with container and our two cats :-)

texasdonkey

I would get it all done before going to any embassy.
Maybe you can get it done in a week but I don't know. Everything here takes much time. I guess byou can get done what you can.

Bob K

With all the questions flying back and forth you might be better served by contacting a local (good) lawyer to help you through the "swamp"

Bob K

Kat11

Yep, I did yesterday and he responded today! Everything is looking great I called and spoke with him earlier and he answered all my questions and eased my mind.

Bob K

Good job!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Bob K

MKruissen

An appostille is an internationally recognized form that authenticates signatures and stamps on official documents. As it is impossible to translate a signature or a stamp it is also difficult to make sure they are real. You have to get an appostille in the country of origin of the documents.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention)

Therefore your best bet is to go to a notary public or a certified translator (into the Spanish language) in your own hometown. Translation will not be cheap, but it will be more difficult to find a certified translator here in the Dominican Republic. I am a translator, not into Spanish however, and I am not certified (yet).
But if you need help in finding a certified translator in your hometown, please contact me and I will do my best to help you.

If you inherit money in your country and do not put it into a bankaccount here, I doubt the government in the DR can touch it, but you need to get legal adcvice on that. Try the same notary public in your hometown.

planner

You MUST go to the DR consulate website to find THEIR list of approved translators. DO NOT USE ANYONE ELSE.

Bob K

Planner good point!

Bob K

planner

Anything else will not be accepted and you will not get the paperwork approved.

tonyvega53

Does anyone know of any US notary in the Santiago or Puerto Plata area who might still have an active license to notarize some doc's for us. I know we can always go to the consulate, but we live in Santiago and we are trying to get these turned around as soon as we can.

planner

Never heard of a US notary practicing here sorry.

tonyvega53

Thanks, it was long shot. I already have a reservation at the consulate in STo. Domingo. They only do this on Mondays and Thursday's.

planner

Cool, good luck!

Bob K

Actually the American consulate in Puerto Plata will also do this.

Bob K

Articles to help you in your expat project in Dominican Republic

All of the Dominican Republic's guide articles