Expand your social circle in Gabon

Hello everyone,

Moving to Gabon means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Gabon? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

hi am wilfred muma, am 34 from cameroon,its true leaving all behind u to a country u know no one is not an easy task, Gabonese are very closed and especially at the frontiers,they are friendly only when they need a service from you,when i first arrived in  october  september in a small town at the frontier to cameroon,i thought i made a mistake to visit gabon,i stayed there for a month with my cousin,but couldn't withsatnd the hostile and insecurity that invades that zone,i had to move forward to port Gentil where i have been leaving there for about 2 years now.
   thesame mentality of calling people strangers and momouring behind ur back even in public and private millieus that u are a stranger ,are common words to hear,well for being friendly i will say yes for some educated ones,but most of them even educated or not will still see u as a stranger,but living an interacting with them,when u are open and always give them small gifts they are always fun of u without that,staying here for work is better,u can walk freely and go home early is good,because alot of street drug adicts and what not.they travel less out of their home country and this is a very big barrier to the population.meeting other foreign friends is the best advice to take or consider.