Don't try to change Tico traditions

In Costa Rica prostitution is legal, people can drink and drive (if not intoxicated), and it has been a tradition to pay police cash when caught speeding.  Many foreigners who are not accustom to such freedoms continually criticize the "pura vida" life which Ticos have enjoyed for many years.  As visitors to this country I think we foreigners should not make efforts to change their way of life.

Paying bribes, getting AIDS and driving whilst boozed up are all good?
Ho hum.

I promise I won't do anything to try and change that, but your advert for your country isn't going to make many people want to visit.

If we see only the bad, we will never visit. I went there and generally, the people are happy and friendly. No country has perfect people that may respect every law

Sanbuenaventuraman wrote:

In Costa Rica prostitution is legal, people can drink and drive (if not intoxicated), and it has been a tradition to pay police cash when caught speeding.  Many foreigners who are not accustom to such freedoms continually criticize the "pura vida" life which Ticos have enjoyed for many years.  As visitors to this country I think we foreigners should not make efforts to change their way of life.

"Prime Directive"?

I don't think you can really change things here even if you want to, so it's a moot point.But while Ticos may get away with bribing police, as a "resident" I would be very reluctant to do so because if that police doesn't like gringos or ? you could find yourself in hot water. Just my 2 colones.

I have to say I do indulge in a beer once in a while on a hot day driving on the backroads and I like being able to do that without much fear of a fine or worse.I

Another thing is with parking. Generally speaking you can park wherever you want - but again you MAY get a ticket depending on where you are.

But this parking thing is taken to an extreme when people just stop right in the middle of a highway to talk to someone on the side of the road. Crazy and dangerous!

This is one thing I'd love to see changed about Costa Rica - the lack of respect for the road and other drivers. But again, I don't see it happening and it's probably no use trying. So you just learn to accept it.