Let's convene on a few rules

This is a first attempt to convene on a few rules (which will part of the Expat.com policy), before we reopen the KSA forums to everyone.

Believe me, I hated making the decision I had to make, but something had to be done. As I previously mentioned, please note that the decision is temporary.

I discussed with a few active members, and read most of your comments these last days.

These are a few suggestions I read and I agree with:

> The forum policy will be sticked on the forum

> we should moderate all non relevant topics, such as
- cut 'n pastes (the kind of things we all get as forwards) that have nothing to do with expats;
- articles from online newspapers unless the poster takes the time and trouble to write about what he's posting and why
[please suggest things for this list]

> Anyone completely off topic / posts irrelevant information : the team removes the thread and a sends a pm (1st notification).  This can happen up to three times (3rd and final notification), then that member is suspended or deleted.

>  Anyone who is offensive on the site gets reported immediately and suspended until the Blog team can investigate then they make a decision on whether to issue a final user warning and reinstate or to delete.

> quoting "very long post" should be avoided

> the Expat.com members should help us to identify problems, using the "report" link or sending pms to the team

> of course, every member should be aware of our terms and conditions.

[feel free to suggest more things]

Please let me know what you think,

Julien

I think I completely agree with the above said list of rules, though I would have to say, suppose a person is off topic, then he/she should be reproved only if the the original author of the post has a problem. Sometimes, the off topic comment leads to some good discussions. But I guess that this would be a bit difficult to apply.
Else of course you could try the above rules on a trial run say 3 months, and then see how the results are, ask around if people are more happier or something and then decide on what to take next.

Cheers!

Julien

Thanks for taking action and making some changes!   Only time will tell if things will be different.  Best Regards,

This is very good and encouraging to see you (Julien and team) have taken this forward, considered options and come up with a way forward.  Excellent and thank you very much.  As noted already, any change will take a little time to bed down, but it will also require all members to participate and get active with the site and lead the way forward.  It will mean some of us will have to think twice before posting the way we use to, but that will not be a bad thing.  Onwards and upwards with thanks to all :D:top:

That would be a good quality. Good Luck

:top:

Although thinking about it I always go off topic ;)

has been on vacation in India for the last two weeks, just happen to get some free time to re-visit this forum and WOW, felt very excited on the very recent developments and Thanks to Julian and team for the wonderful clean up job.

Kudos to the team and new year has started with a change and a refreshing change.  must share my opinion with most of the active bloggers that any change takes time to have a real impact, however there has to be some beginning and here is the beginning.

team, Excellent job done and thank you very much  once again..... :top::thanks:

they will definitely help :)

Oh yes, I forgot a little something ... we won't justify any of our choices. I mean, feel free to contact us, but we are a very small team and can't reply to everyone. With thousands of connexions worldwide everyday, that's just impossible