Menu
Expat.com

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS

Last activity 13 October 2019 by kohlerias

jayhb62

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS (DOG)
I live in playas del coco and am in the process of building a home in the immediate area.  My dog is still in the US.  I am retired, have a 27 year old daughter who lives in North Carolina, and have no real support systems in CR other than friends I have met here.  I have very few living family members and they are scattered about in the US.

My dog is registered as an emotional support animal and I have a prior long-standing history of depression.  I want to transport my dog to CR on my next trip this month (I am in CR now, going back to US in 2.5 weeks, then returning to CR as soon as possible thereafter, hopefully with my dog).  In the US, my dog was my constant companion and I lived alone (other than with my dog).

Does anyone have experience in bringing an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL into Costa Rica from the US?  If so, what airline did you use, what paperwork (other than the standard health certificates for the dog) did you have to show, and what comments can you add on this topic?

Any information you can share is greatly appreciated.

J

Celadon

Here is a page from a Google search for Pet Therapy Support. If someone at one or another of these groups doesn't have specific answers, they should have resources to someone who does. Assuming you have everything lined up w/an English-speaking MD, meds, prices, etc. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&a … tion&*

pebs

Hi as a fellow animal lover  MUCH nicer than most people smile.png   Unless they have changed in recent years , there is not much trouble to bring in a dog in good  health Get a Vet to write he/ she is in good health.You never said from WHERE you are coming How many hours flight etc LAYOVER  at connecting airport or not? 
ASK THE AIRLINES IF THEY HAVE A PLACE WHERE DOGS CAN BE WALKED BY YOU...SOME AIRPORTS DO SO YOU MUST CALL AROUND TO SEE WHERE IT IS BEST TO CHANGE FOR CONNECTING PLANES ..SOMETIMES THERE IS A DELAY WHICH HAS BEEN TRAGICALLY CAUSED THE DEATH OF SOME PETS ...So PLEASE ask ALL Airports if they have dog waliking facilities and see if you can connect at THAT Airport
Good Luck ...there was a few deaths with pets left stressing out on delayed layovers BE sure to ask your VET..What size DOG? some are allowed to fly INSIDE Cabin with you IS small enough to fit in a cage under your seat..

THEN call ALL the Airlines ...to see the methods  of taking a vet and from WHERE I will post a site so that you are AWARE that it can be very stressful if your dog has a LONG layover ..I INSISTED on seeing that my cat had water on a long lay over..miraculously I won.. I wil try to find the recent link I saw re traveling carefully with your dog..
Good Luck and I wish you the best WHERE do you plan on living here ? I hope I can help
... I will look for the link..mean while ASK AIRLINES
a if small enough  then maybe can travel INSIDE Cabin (Under the seat
IF larger sometimes extreme weather is harmful for dogs..
2. IF have to travel with baggage does the Layover Airport allow you to see and WALK your dog?
3., any charges  for flight?
I will search for the link or Google Traveling or "Flying with a dog"

kohlerias

Emotional support animals, are usually permitted to ride 'in cabin' no matter what size they are and at no additional cost ... so make sure you have all the required paperwork. 

Check with your airline of choice.

They do still require up-to-date vaccinations and health certificates, etc.

jayhb62

Yes, ESA are permitted to fly free in the cabin with their owner who requires emotional support.

I am hoping someone who has such an animal/dog and who has traveled with them from the US to CR can reply about their experience.

My pet is registered as an ESA.

I am aware that he is still required to have the appropriate paperwork, vaccinations, parasite treatment, etc.

If anyone has an ESA that they relocated to CR, I would be very interested to hear your experience about the adventure.

Thank you.

J

kohlerias

I have a question regarding your instructions of how to bring in a ESA into Costa Rica or anywhere else : why are you providing help to those who doesn't really require an ESA animal, like yourself as you have admitted in your blog, who then spoil it for those who do really need it?

An article today on fake service animals.

Please, pay for their transportation, if you want them to travel with you. I am not anti-dogs and presently have 3  former street dogs.

joanlebednikwilkins

hi jayhb62:)
have u & yor emotional support animal been in C.Rica now for awhile?  what has been yor experience going into places there w/ yor EMS?  are there laws & guidelines re how officials there look upon & treat ESA?  are they accepted everywhere in CR: like in restaurants, shops, hospitals, gov offices, etc?
thank you!  joan

kohlerias

I don't think that you will find that ESD's will be permitted in restaurants, stores, hospitals, in public buildings or transportation.  Of course, I may be mistaken.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Costa Rica

All of Costa Rica's guide articles