How to bring your car to Ecuador

Well, my Spanish is NOT rudimentary - I've been speaking, reading and writing the language for over 60 years now.  And as I said, there is NO mention of importation in the document you cite (and which claimed mention you decline to copy to this forum).  Please copy the part about importation and post it here...

Again, the link you cite:
https://bit.ly/2FwRJj7
...has no mention whatsoever about importation.

Nor is there anything highlighted in the link you provide, and not in any link when searching for the document  No. 027-DIR-2014-ANT.  Perhaps you could explain where the highlighting is by providing a link that shows highlighting?

This page says that the only people who can import a vehicle into Ecuador are registered importers, and also "personas con discapacidad, diplomáticos y vehículos que forman parte de programas del Ministerio de Transporte y Obras Publicas":

https://ecuadorec.com/importar-vehiculo … equisitos/

This page which is an official page of the Aduanas (Customs) of Ecuador, the infamous SENAE, states that only Ecuadorian citizens returning to Ecuador to live may import a vehicle only as part of their menaje de casa, and there are strict limits even then:

https://www.aduana.gob.ec/para-migrantes/

Your failure to post or point to anything that says you as a foreigner can import your 35 year old car, invalidates your claims.  The document you say that allows it, has NO mention whatsoever about importation, contrary to what you claim.

This article from 2016 in a Quito newspaper repeats what the other links say about importation of vehicles:

https://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/e … duana.html

You may think you know more than the Ecuadorian bureaucracy, and perhaps you do - but THEY still get the last word.

Why on earth are you so hostile? You must have been trained in America. :(  Hispanics are far more courteous and elegant. Or are you one of those that have been advising people for years that they cannot import classics? Then you are not angry at me you are merely angry at yourself. I can understand that and sympathize. In my case, I have NO problem being wrong. After all, I have had two years of experts advising as you do. I am prepared to acquiesce but this law stands in my way.  

I understand that we seem to have a common interest in importing classic cars..but your attitude is standing in your way here. I have a need of someone who speaks great Spanish.   Why don't we work together rather than at odds? On my side I have LOTS of expertise with British classics, parts source and restoration. Sincerely, calm down. This is not a winners-losers thing. If I am right, we both win.

The first link given was for anglophones. I gather that you did not read my post carefully. Did you google the Resolution number I highlighted? For the actual law in Spanish, the Ecuadorian government system of posting laws does not display them on the net but rather only gives clickable links to download them. Since you did not follow my/their instructions, you have nothing so far. That would mean I have to find a way attach the law here (impossible) or find a web site and upload it back to the internet for you, with a link.  Tedious but I will do it in extremis. Pity. It would be so much easier for both of us if you could simple downloaded it as I suggested.

Let us go through my instructions together and I will try to help you. If it doesn't work for you again I WILL find a website and upload back up to the internet.) If you did a google on the Resolution number I quoted and highlighted you (again Resolución No 027-DIR-2014-ANT, you should find this page . https://bit.ly/2JAHzSs or others that lead you there.  On the page at the left you will see a small grey-backed clickable button with the word Descarga I stated earlier. Please click it with the left button of your mouse or pointer.

You will now be offered the choice of saving the file to your computer or opening it with Adobe Reader (not to worry, the Ecuadorian government is not trying to hack our computers). Frankly they do not display the expertise that would require as the quality and alignment or their postings is askew. :)  I would suggest you choose to open it in Adobe and save if you think it worthy from there. If any of this is beyond anyone's skills, I will find a way to post it to the net.

Please read it. And THEN we can continue. Meanwhile, I will try to render their pdf into a text file in case your internet skills or English is not up to managing the download.

I am trying for you. I was able to cut their low quality pdf into separate pages and make the pages into low quality jpgs. I found a site I could upload to. Let's see if this works. You downloading the pdf would be far better and people like yourself are normally far happier when they download themselves rather than relying on people. There is a worldwide reluctance of people refusing to believe what they don't want to believe. That being said, I have NO problem if you wish to call me an idiot. I have nothing invested in this so far. However, it would be good of you to add an OBJECTIVE polite opinion. If you still have a problem with this stuff..I will find another way to help you. I have no issue with you posting links indicating I am wrong. That is pretty typical o what I have run across. And EVERYONE in Ecuador ends communication when I send them to the actual LAW on classic car importation below.  I gather you are from Ecuador.. Loosen up.

https://ibb.co/jRtjdsthttps://ibb.co/hYSqvJShttps://ibb.co/9WNhRXthttps://ibb.co/b2FJCnmhttps://ibb.co/pJdTYV3https://ibb.co/1nrcPLm

I'm not hostile - I just seem to have this "thing" about people putting out misinformation (I'm calling it that to be polite) on a forum, and not backing it up with anything concrete.  Your posts fall into that category.

Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems - I already told you that not only did I read what was at the link you posted, in English, but that I read the entire document in Spanish as well.  Your condescending instructions to be "helpful" are not necessary.  And you , with your rudimentary Spanish, how do you even know what the document says? 

Obviously, you DON'T know what the document says.  There is NOTHING in the document you cite that relates to the IMPORTATION of classic vehicles.

If you think there is, I challenge you to post the language.  I've asked you to do that several times now and you don't - because you cannot.  That language is not in the document.  Why you persist in your fallacious claims, I do not know.

YOU obviously did not read the information from Ecuador government pages and other internet pages I posted about the importation of vehicles to Ecuador, and what the requirements are, and who may do it.

Why don't you just go ahead and ship your classic vehicle to Ecuador?  It will be an expensive lesson for you, but some people will learn only from their own mistakes, if at all - you seem to be one of those.

Please review law posted and how it creates an exception to the merely general rules you keep referring us all to.

However, your comments suggesting I hurt myself badly tells so MUCH about you.  :(  Is it a fear of being proven wrong that make that malicious?

You have apparently refused to read anything I post or recommend..even when I spoon feed it.

In that case..since you are not prepared to help, leave the topic. Your animosity has clouded your effectiveness and credibility here. We need a Ecuadorian lawyer's translation. I am merely a French Civil Law professional..

Alec Inglis wrote:

Please review law posted and how it creates an exception to the merely general rules you keep referring us all to.

However, your comments suggesting I hurt myself badly tells so MUCH about you.  :(  Is it a fear of being proven wrong that make that malicious?

You have apparently refused to read anything I post or recommend..even when I spoon feed it.

In that case..since you are not prepared to help, leave the topic. Your animosity has clouded your effectiveness and credibility here. We need a Ecuadorian lawyer's translation. I am merely a French Civil Law professional..

I guess you are right, I have animosity.  My animosity is against people who do not tell the truth.  And no, I will NOT leave the topic, as long as you continue to post untruths.

I have read the document, both in English and Spanish.  I have told you that several times but apparently you do not understand plain English, or plain Spanish either.  There is NOTHING in the document that addresses importation - and you refuse to post any language in the document supporting your claim that it makes importation legal for classic cars.  That you refuse to do so, but still claim it allows importation, is a sign of YOUR bad faith.

Article 1 of the document which I posted clearly states the document's objectives - importation is NOT one of them.  The document covers the categorization, registration, licensing and circulation within Ecuador of classic vehicles.

YOU are the one who has no credibility, since you continue to claim the document says something that it doesn't - and you refuse to back up your claim by quoting any language at all, not just from this document, but from anywhere that would back up your claims.

What an ugly person!  :P  I hope you are in NO way involved with classic cars in Ecuador, that would be a curse on them. Considering your demeanor and prose, you are definitely not trustworthy as an opinion giver here. Remember, you started off telling there were no provisions In Ecuador for classic cars at all. Now you tacitly admit there are, but that they do not apply to imports which means that the law was passed with no sense at all, merely an expenditure for any pooor Ecaudorian that wants to spend money and time for nothing for a car that is already here (giggle).  I am going to push on.

Btw, the other signatories to the same agreement (Columbia for one) are VERY clear that it has everything to do importation).  In fact, the entire law is a cut and paste of the similar European laws..as is the entire Ecuadorian Civil Code. I am outta here. I have only limited patience for rude children.

Alec Inglis wrote:

What an ugly person!  :P  I hope you are in NO way involved with classic cars in Ecuador, that would be a curse on them. Considering your demeanor and prose, you are definitely not trustworthy as an opinion giver here. Remember, you started off telling there were no provisions In Ecuador for classic cars at all. Now you tacitly admit there are, but that they do not apply to imports which means that the law was passed with no sense at all, merely an expenditure for any pooor Ecaudorian that wants to spend money and time for nothing for a car that is already here (giggle).  I am going to push on.

Btw, the other signatories to the same agreement (Columbia for one) are VERY clear that it has everything to do importation).  In fact, the entire law is a cut and paste of the similar European laws..as is the entire Ecuadorian Civil Code. I am outta here. I have only limited patience for rude children.

Please don't lie.  I guess that's too much to expect from you, though!

I never started off saying there were no provisions for classic cars - the whole discussion was started by your claim that classic cars could be IMPORTED to Ecuador and you claimed the document you linked to proved that. 

I pointed out what the document did do - it addresses categorization, registering, licensing and circulation of classic vehicles within Ecuador - and I noted that the document says nothing as far as importation goes.   And I asked you to please show where it did, if it did that - even though I had read the document in both English and Spanish and so I knew that it did not address importation.

You repeatedly failed to back up your claim, never posting even one portion of a sentence that would show you are correct about importation.  I provided links showing what the importation rules are. 

You are the one who is not trustworthy.  And you have proven that further by lying about what I posted - anyone can go back and see for themselves.

My God. You have no end of problems.  ;)  You should see about that. It can't be fun for you. I see you have me as I am a liar as well now. (You have graduated from "untruths".)

Let me explain to you and others still with the stomach to follow this thread just how all government bureaucracies work. They pass laws creating a legal class..in this case "classic cars". They can cut-and-paste that simply from the legislation from other countries, preferably with a same or similar language. In this case, I imagine it was Spain. https://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-s … le-import.  AND then, in a separate resolution, they they state what laws or exemptions apply to that class. You are trying to convince this audience that Ecuador signed the Treaty, wrote the same law I tried with great effort to get you to read, and created a special class, namely classic cars..for no reason whatsoever. Ecuadorians don't need laws that have them spend money for nothing.

Here is the Colombian government and how THEY see it. They signed the Treaty along  with Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia. Here is their take. https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/colomb … -a-vehicle Scroll down to the section entitled, (weirdly enough) Importing a Classic or Collector Vehicle 

I am not suggesting that the law is well-known and it will not create another struggle with the Ecuadorian authorities. They may well react with inexplicable ugliness as you have.   But it will be a good thing for Ecuador to have the ability to add to its heritage with classic cars. Forgive me, but what I have seen so far (6+ years) is not that impressive, of course there are exceptions).

I have helped to achieve this other countries. This one doesn't seem as tough as others. However, from your attitude and animus, I imagine you will do anything to stop importation or clarification of the law. (shiver!) What on earth do you have against importing classic cars?

Alec Inglis wrote:

My God. You have no end of problems.  ;)  You should see about that. It can't be fun for you. I see you have me as I am a liar as well now. (You have graduated from "untruths".)

Let me explain to you and others still with the stomach to follow this thread just how all government bureaucracies work. They pass laws creating a legal class..in this case "classic cars". They can cut-and-paste that simply from the legislation from other countries, preferably with a same or similar language. In this case, I imagine it was Spain. https://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-s … le-import.  AND then, in a separate resolution, they they state what laws or exemptions apply to that class. You are trying to convince this audience that Ecuador signed the Treaty, wrote the same law I tried with great effort to get you to read, and created a special class, namely classic cars..for no reason whatsoever. Ecuadorians don't need laws that have them spend money for nothing.

Here is the Colombian government and how THEY see it. They signed the Treaty along  with Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia. Here is their take. https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/colomb … -a-vehicle Scroll down to the section entitled, (weirdly enough) Importing a Classic or Collector Vehicle 

I am not suggesting that the law is well-known and it will not create another struggle with the Ecuadorian authorities. They may well react with inexplicable ugliness as you have.   But it will be a good thing for Ecuador to have the ability to add to its heritage with classic cars. Forgive me, but what I have seen so far (6+ years) is not that impressive, of course there are exceptions).

I have helped to achieve this other countries. This one doesn't seem as tough as others. However, from your attitude and animus, I imagine you will do anything to stop importation or clarification of the law. (shiver!) What on earth do you have against importing classic cars?

You would have us believe that since this Resolución passed nearly 5 years ago in 2014, that only you have been smart enough to realize what it means, that now you as a foreigner can bring a classic vehicle into Ecuador.  In nearly 5 years only you have seen the light!

You still have yet to post even a sentence fragment from any source, official or otherwise, that would indicate that foreigners or anyone can now bring classic vehicles into Ecuador.  I eagerly await the proof, instead of your tiresome bombast.

It's not me that has the problems.  Yes, you graduated from "untruths" to "lies" - and you did it all on your own!  Please, ship your classic vehicle to Ecuador, now!  Show everyone how it's done!

Ah..you wish me to hurt myself again, go to great cost and pain for your pleasure. (giggle). Yes..I definitely detect an America heritage.  :) 

I am merely gathering information. You have proven yourself an unreliable and ill-wishing source. You did not even know or acknowledge the existence of relevant law in Ecuador about classic cars until I spoon fed you. I am not saying your ignorance is uncommon here and likely has prejudiced Ecuador's classic car scene. I have been doing research for a few months and it is not hard to see. I am trying to improve on that for myself and Ecuadorian heritage. You only motivation is to win, whether you are right or not..and I am already married.  :D

I find the same law as I found in Ecuador with every signatory of the Andean trade agreement. I also find the importation exemption for these countries. It could very well be that the Ecuadorian bureaucracy itself doesn't know what the law is. Anyone who has immigrated here in the past decade knows exactly knows what I am talking about. Bureaucracies in every country do not always draw on their nation's best. Your own country even advises against using Ecuadorian import professionals and proceed on one's own.  "The chaotic customs system, creates disincentives to import goods through formal channels.....

I am no longer interested in what you believe as you have proven to me that you have no credibility here. But you have spurred me on! I shall continue until I get the truth.  I now have the names of the relevant officials who enacted the law in all countries. I have the resources and the professionals to assist me. Even if the Ecuadorian Resolution (the one you assured us all does not exist) is useless an inane as you suggest, it is not a tough approach them and point out their omission. Been there, done that before. As St. T. Aquinas said, a nonsensical law is not a law at all. 

For the rest of you..I have posted the Colombian position on the same law..there is another from Peru, another signatory of the same Treaty, mirroring theirs as well. I have no wish to keep spoon feeding this guy. As I said earlier, some people only believe if they think they have discovered it themselves. As for whatshisname, he has painted himself into a sad corner.

Alec Inglis wrote:

Ah..you wish me to hurt myself again, go to great cost and pain for your pleasure. (giggle). Yes..I definitely detect an America heritage.  :) 

I am merely gathering information. You have proven yourself an unreliable and ill-wishing source. You did not even know or acknowledge the existence of relevant law in Ecuador about classic cars until I spoon fed you. I am not saying your ignorance is uncommon here and likely has prejudiced Ecuador's classic car scene. I have been doing research for a few months and it is not hard to see. I am trying to improve on that for myself and Ecuadorian heritage. You only motivation is to win, whether you are right or not..and I am already married.  :D

I find the same law as I found in Ecuador with every signatory of the Andean trade agreement. I also find the importation exemption for these countries. It could very well be that the Ecuadorian bureaucracy itself doesn't know what the law is. Anyone who has immigrated here in the past decade knows exactly knows what I am talking about. Bureaucracies in every country do not always draw on their nation's best. Your own country even advises against using Ecuadorian import professionals and proceed on one's own.  "The chaotic customs system, creates disincentives to import goods through formal channels.....

I am no longer interested in what you believe as you have proven to me that you have no credibility here. But you have spurred me on! I shall continue until I get the truth.  I now have the names of the relevant officials who enacted the law in all countries. I have the resources and the professionals to assist me. Even if the Ecuadorian Resolution (the one you assured us all does not exist) is useless an inane as you suggest, it is not a tough approach them and point out their omission. Been there, done that before. As St. T. Aquinas said, a nonsensical law is not a law at all. 

For the rest of you..I have posted the Colombian position on the same law..there is another from Peru, another signatory of the same Treaty, mirroring theirs as well. I have no wish to keep spoon feeding this guy. As I said earlier, some people only believe if they think they have discovered it themselves. As for whatshisname, he has painted himself into a sad corner.

When you continue to post lies about what I said, you show that you have no credibility.  When you make claims, you should be able to back them up - but all you provide is empty words and no real proof.  I don't like to see you lead others astray.

What other countries such as Colombia and Peru do, is their business - Ecuador may or may not follow suit.

You have yet to post ANYTHING that substantiates your claim that foreigners may import classic cars to Ecuador.

Anyone reading this sequence of posts can decide for himself.  Again, I invite you to go ahead and ship your car to Ecuador and see what happens - put your money where your mouth is.  I bet that you won't, because you are just a wordy blowhard.

Never heard of this classic car rule and infact was looking for something exactly like that as had my "classic" van here a few years ago (is considered classic in EU) but nothing of the kind existed and there was absolutely no way to get it into the country at all.

Tried  speaking to every body in any department that might have known about a process to do it but nothing. Also  the wife as a returning ecuadorian was supposedly able to bring in a vehicle, but couldn't with this one (was a few years back but I think that rule was only if shipped it here and we drove it here).

In the end had to sell it / have it stolen* for next to nothing

* sell / stolen depends if they actually get round to paying for it smh

Hi User,

Thank you for a normal person post.

As you see, a law respecting classic cars does exist. That being said, I had the same experience you had when a started a few months ago. However, my recent discovery of the law lead to the people on-the-ground and responsible They have changed since 2014 . ..along with a top customs lawyer, involved in the Treaty who knew of it.

If course, there is still a long hill to climb..to get all the facts and get some governmental someone to make a decision and move it forward with details...or not.

If you'd like, I can keep you updated by private post. Posting here on this subject has proven to be distasteful. We merely need patience.

Alec

> ..along with a top customs lawyer, involved in the Treaty **who knew of it**.

The all important factor. I found that what the law is tends to be irrelevant and what the person you are dealing with thinks it is more important.

With the vehicle, I had the issue of when doing a border run, being told the vehicle can not come into the country again and would need to get an extension to previous entry. I was told I could do this at the port in Guayaquil.

I go to the port, get told yes, they do so and did it for a German couple the other month.

2 months and 3 weeks later of being told wait / come back / it's not ready that in fact this extension does not exist and as the vehicle had been in the country nearly 3 months without the papers (that should have been given at the border when I came back in ) I now had a $20k fine to pay. 1 week of sitting in various offices in customs from 8am to 6pm with a very heavily pregnant wife, being lied to, shunted from office to office, at 5pm on the last day was back at the first office and got permission to speak to a boss, who was shocked at what we had been told, told us it was completely wrong, that in no way will we have a fine to pay, that the vehicle is allowed in if the tourist is allowed in.

Next day I was at the border as my visa was about to expire, minor issue at the border, but a phone call to confirm all was in order sorted it and managed to get out the country with no fine.

Tried to come in the next day with the van, a spring in my step, not expecting any problems.... and I was refused entry lol - but that is another story.

> If you'd like, I can keep you updated by private post. Posting here on this subject has proven to be distasteful. We merely need patience.

Thanks but not thanks. As I mentioned, we no longer have the vechicle and I am still sore about that, to find out we could still have it after all that would be too much to handle.

All the best to you though. I will just say be careful, I haven't read all the thread so have no idea what you have done / spoke to. But we met a few people who could "sort" it for us. All wanted several thousand $$$$, none were what I would call official, regardless of what they said. Reading online about this, lots of warnings of people offering such a service who they disappear into the sunset.

Although his Spanish is rudimentary at best by his own admission, Alec thinks that only he has been smart enough to realize that a resolution almost 5 years old, from 2014, now allows classic cars to be imported into Ecuador by foreigners.  But he does not understand the resolution, neither its language nor its meaning and purpose.

The Resolución No 027-DIR-2014-ANT REGLAMENTO DE VEHÍCULOS AUTOMOTORES CLÁSICOS does not say anything about importation - it sets out how classic cars must be categorized, registered, licensed and inspected, and how they are allowed to circulate within Ecuadorian national territory.  Nothing more and nothing less.

Alec has yet to point to or post any words in the document that would support his wishful thinking about importation of classic cars, by foreigners or by anyone.

The resolution was issued by ANT, the Ecuadorian government agency controlling internal traffic.  ANT stands for Agencia Nacional de Tránsito, Ecuador's National Traffic Agency.  The agency in Ecuador that controls imports is SENAE, not ANT.  Their responsibilities and authority do not overlap - ANT has nothing to do with importation of anything, period.

Ecuador does not allow even its own citizens to import a personal vehicle except in special and restricted circumstances - summarizing, if they are returning from overseas to once again live in Ecuador permanently, they may bring only a single new vehicle, whose motor size is less than 3000cc, and whose original cost is less than 60 basic salaries, about $23,000 for 2019.  There are further restrictions still, specifying that they are not allowed to sell this vehicle in Ecuador for 5 years.

Because Ecuador is so restrictive in the importation of vehicles, classic or not, charging incredibly high import taxes and with endless paperwork necessary to import a vehicle, if this were to change it would be written about in all the papers and government news releases, and people would have been taking advantage of it to no end since 2014.  But that hasn't happened, and guess why?  Because you still cannot easily import any vehicle, that's why.  The import rules have not changed, and Ecuador's car dealers approve of this policy to protect their sales, and so does the government who do not want to allow in to the country any more high-emissions, pollution-spewing vehicles - they have plenty of those already.

"All the best to you though. I will just say be careful,."

Thank you for that. I deeply sympathize with what you went through and it is no excuse that this happens in other countries. It is not evil, merely a country that has been forced to become and assimilate concepts too fast. The bureaucracy has learned that saying yes is risky while saying no can never get one in trouble and justifies the position.

I am a prudent soul by nature. My former legal/diplomatic background I suppose. I have dealt on similar matters in many jurisdictions. We kept a classic in the West Midlands for many years..Hartlebury to be exact.

My connections preclude excess cost, though that is not a problem. I thank you for your concern. A real breath of fresh air.

You are English. Seems to be a closer synergy. We are Canadian..Quebecois.  If you ever need it, call on me for help and anything with V8 LRs..up to 2000. There are many examples here. A pleasure "meeting" you

cheers :)

INNNNTRODUCING IN THE RED CORNER.....

TLDR, you guys kiss this out yet?  Thank you both for your effort.  It seems it's just easier to buy a car there, even if it's a rape job.  You want to live in Ecuador?  Leave your baggage at the door I guess.

Seems easier. I was wondering if I could bring my Disco. or  C70, and am glad I could not after being here for one year. The roads would soon kill it. I am settling for a Ranger 200R Motorcycle for $1640 new. It's the one which looks like a little Harley and I was surprised they still make it.

Some people Buy a cheap new car like Hyundai or one of the Chinese models, and drive it until the wheels fall off. That is the best idea to me.

Be like Johnny cash and bring it one piece at a time

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

Be like Johnny cash and bring it one piece at a time

NICE!  I love that song.

I recently saw a youtube video with many really nice US classic cars.  There was even a Shelby Cobra!  I have a nice '75 450SL my wife would love to bring.  We are going to be in Cuenca in October and I will see what I can find out.

My wife and I Just established ourselves in Loja with a temporary residential visa for a retired person. I have a 1971 Ford Bronco back in California that I would love to bring into Ecuador. I have read through this thread and find myself quite confused about importing 35 plus year old “classic vehicles “.  Has anyone actually done this? If so could you please reference the lawyer and/or the shipping company they used to facilitate their vehicle import? I would much appreciate this. Thank you.

About vehicles, I will not import but MIGHT by local. I think there is a tax break if you are declared disabled. I fit that criteria easily in USA but understand that Ecuador government needs to be involved. Anyone here know if the tax breaks are true and is it a difficult process

I spent quite a time researching about shipping classic cars to Ecuador because some clients ask about it in the past 2 years and the answer is NO.

Only dealers are allowed to import cars or Ecuadorians returning to the country.
Even if a dealer wanted to import a classic car, the traffic regulations will not allow to matriculate and use the car in Ecuador.

There is many classic cars in Ecuador but they were used here for many years, not imported.

So maybe someone knows other way to do it, other than expend thousand of dollars in tips and illegal import.

Yes, there is a discount on vehicles if you are disabled.

You have to get a disabled ID form the Conadis and the Ministery of Health to present it on a dealer.

I think this is the only document they ask for.

Vicente

Hi,

I was just curious as to how you went with the importation of your car to Ecuador. I am in the same position and am thinking about moving to Ecuador from Peru next year (I have a permanent residents visa) and would like to take my car. Hope to hear from you

Rgds,

Wade

wadeM wrote:

Hi,

I was just curious as to how you went with the importation of your car to Ecuador. I am in the same position and am thinking about moving to Ecuador from Peru next year (I have a permanent residents visa) and would like to take my car. Hope to hear from you

Rgds,

Wade

You cannot import your vehicle to Ecuador, period.  Ecuador's laws do not allow it, except in special circumstances such as if you are an Ecuadorian returning to live in Ecuador from a foreign country, or if you are a diplomat being posted to Ecuador. 

You should read the thread and see where the applicable laws are referenced.  Start at the beginning of the thread. 

The only people who say you can bring your vehicle to Ecuador, have never done it and never cite even one sentence in even one law that says it may be done - they can't, because it is specifically prohibited.  Many of those who say you can, cannot read and understand Spanish, as you will see if you read the whole thread. 

On the other hand, many posts which correctly say you can't import your vehicle, cite the applicable Ecuador laws and words which specifically prohibit the importation of vehicles by individuals, and at least several speak from personal experience.

You cannot import your vehicle to Ecuador, period.  Ecuador's laws do not allow it, except in special circumstances such as if you are an Ecuadorian returning to live in Ecuador from a foreign country,

Even then, it is not as simple as that. We tried to do that (ecuadorian (wife) returning from EU), but for reasons I don't remember it wasn't possible. Of course this is Ecuador, so there are hoops, regulations, the person who you currently are speaking to deciding on things that may / not be true, infuriation and constant changes to the law

The only people who say you can bring your vehicle to Ecuador, have never done it and never cite even one sentence in even one law that says it may be done

Generallyy correct. I know of one person who did it. But money was not a problem for them, the vehicle was brand new. So it is possible, but costly (this was probably 10 years ago, perhaps things have changed)

I am curious how people go about passing through, overlanders driving the Pan American highway. Or do they avoid Ecuador altogether?

Is this an importation of a vehicle, or just tourism?

https://landcruisingadventure.com/drive … n-highway/

lebowski888 wrote:

The thread has mostly been about people wanting to import a vehicle into Ecuador, to keep it there.

Bringing a vehicle in as a tourist is another thing, and it is permitted although there are bureaucratic hoops to jump through.  Generally you are allowed the use of a vehicle you bring in, for whatever the legal duration of your stay as a tourist.  This almost 5-year-old article addresses at least some of this step by step:

http://comunidad.todocomercioexterior.c … urista-djt

user159 wrote:

I know of one person who did it.

I do, too.  My Dad did it in 1959, not as a diplomat but as a member of the US Army sent to Quito, Ecuador.  He brought in a 1956 Chrysler Windsor Newport, and sold it for a good profit when we left.
I'm sure other foreigners did it, too, back then.  Heck, we even had guns back then, for sport and for personal protection in the home, and with shotguns went hunting for perdiz and codorniz near Cotopaxi.

I'm pretty sure none of it works that way anymore...

lebowski888 wrote:

I am curious how people go about passing through, overlanders driving the Pan American highway. Or do they avoid Ecuador altogether?

https://landcruisingadventure.com/drive … n-highway/

Is easy. You turn up at the border, do your passport paperwork, then get your papers for the car which is basically a carpassport and gets the same tourist visa as you. You have to pay for a temp insurance whatever Ecuador is calling it this year, but is not much, IIRC $20-$40 was all it cost

OsageArcher wrote:
user159 wrote:

I know of one person who did it.

I do, too.  My Dad did it in 1959, not as a diplomat but as a member of the US Army sent to Quito, Ecuador.  He brought in a 1956 Chrysler Windsor Newport, and sold it for a good profit when we left.
I'm sure other foreigners did it, too, back then.  Heck, we even had guns back then, for sport and for personal protection in the home, and with shotguns went hunting for perdiz and codorniz near Cotopaxi.

I'm pretty sure none of it works that way anymore...

This guy did it in 2010, all officially.  It is possible. Very costly, so if money is no object to you it can be done. For most people, it is all but impossible

Hello everyone,

Please note that some inappropriate and off-topic posts have been removed.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Danny! Please send me your contact info! I am looking to ship my car there. Please!