Menu
Expat.com

Retire in Jamaica

Last activity 01 January 2014 by claudemq

cdemark371

I am planning to move to Jamaica after I retire in 2013.  I been going to Jamaica since 1972 and know the culture well but I have a lot to learn.  Looking forward to talking with others who did this or considered it.

PollyW

What? No replies yet? What are the smoking down there anyway :-)

Christine

Hi cdemark371,

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Wish you good luck
Christine

jamica girl

[Moderated: off-topic]

southseapark

Did you indeed retire to Jamaica? Read our blog jamaica-paradiso.blogspot.com about adjusting and living in Jamaica

Christine

Hi southseapark,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe you could give some information on the Jamaica forum wink.png

Thank you.

Guest7965

What sort of yearly income do i need to live in jamaica comfortably? does anyone know?

mrose

If you are interested email me at marsharose1@gmail.com, maybe I can help you out. I am sure people are trying to scare you off but as with anywhere you just have to be wise in your decisions when you come back.

claudemq

You need a monthly income of approximately US $600 as follows:  rent $230; Food $100; Entertainment $150; Utilities/Internet $65; Misc. (Taxi) $55...and if you are getting USA social security monthly, give yourself a raise monthly...(exchange rate)...the current exchange rate is $106.50 (December 2013).  So if you are getting the social security average of US $1179, monthly, then you can live like a king...without a car.  with a car (2004 Toyota Corolla) add another $100 monthly that will cover insurance (liability only), fitness, license, maintenance and gasoline (for trips to the beach).  The minimum wage is JA $ $5000, weekly, so you can even hire a maid to come in three times for the week at maybe JA $1000 for the day.