How to save money in Italy

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Italy? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Italy? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello , for the transportation buy the train monthly ticket and the accommodation should be the station the food outside is amazing, but you to cook for your self for cost effective living in Rome....

Find a nearby Chinese food shop.  Besides finding lots of things no Italian store has so you can make your customary foods, they have things like peanut butter in a can for 4 euros, three times the size found in the supermarkets for the same price, also you can find cilantro, Mexican hot sauces, Thai hot sauces, and a huge selection of spices at much lower prices.  They also have vegetables that Italy shops do not bother with.
Buy  bus ticket in a carnet, you get one free.
The national train system offers cheaper seats if you search hard.  Usually at the beginning of when they start offering that month.
Near most train stations you can find a Turkish/Middle East  food shop, and for five euros you can do okay.
Ordering a pizza to be delivered is a cheap way to go. 
When going to a lot of trouble cooking, do twice as much and save half in the freezer.
Amazon. it saves me a lot, can get me things i cannot find in Padova, and delivers.
Always ask a taxi driver how much he thinks your trip will cost. 
Shop online for used stuff at Subito.it
IKEA saved us a  lot  when we were first getting set up, they even put things together for a small price.
Some movie theatres are starting to have a bargain afternoon.  Also an movie in English day.
If you are new to Italy, you will find yourself hunting best places to buy foods, and when you hit a good place, always tell others to help them.
Good luck.

Hi Dave! Nice to see you around =)

Regarding the finances, electricity bills are where it's at for me. Hate them. In winter, we use heating sheets on the bed instead of heating the room at night, works better & cheaper.

For vegetables anf fruit you rather buy from a local weekly market but beware of cheats...keep your eyes open on weights and measures
Also second hand clothes are very good to buy at these same flea markets but shoes do not compromise rather buy good quality it lasts longer
Bedding towels etc you can buy from wholesalers to the public shops.
I live in Naples and I am a scrooge by nature so I only buy things on special at the supermarket and cleaning materials better buy in bulk from wholesale shops.
The only luxury we buy is Ice Cream and we buy it from the surgelati shops where u can get a 1kg for euro 2.60