Living in Thika

Hi, we hv recently moved to kenya and currently living in nairobi. My husband works in thika and we would like to move to thika. My question is thika good enough and safe to live. Any nice apartments there? I know of one thika gateway Plaza but that isn't functional yet. Any other suggestions. Or living in nairobi os better from family point of view. Please guide

living in nairobi will be better from your child's education point of view.. also most of the expat community is in nairobi... thika is too far to commute to and fro from, and your social life will literally be zero if you're looking to hang around with people from nairobi..

Yes.. Even i am also getting the same feedback from people around. Thanks for your reply Sam1010

I think the question is, Tanugupta; who is giving you the advice about life in Thika.  People who actually live there, or Nairobi people who think that they know?

I have lived in Thika for a number of years.  Its a lively industrial town.  There is a sizeable Indian population, rents are cheaper than Nairobi, power and water supply more reliable.  Traffic not as bad as Nairobi.  There's a decent social life and a great golf club (Thika Sports Club).  True, there are fewer expats than Nairobi, but does that really matter?

To pick up on Sam's comment;  Thika has a Braeburn International School.  Juja Preparatory id just down the road and although Nairobi has more choice of schools, in Thika your children won't spend hours stuck in traffic commuting to and from school.  Sam doesn't seem to understand that there won't be as much commuting if you moved to Thika, as your Husband works there.

Thika is as safe as anywhere else, if you choose the right areas.  For example:  Bendor Estate, Maki and  Bahati Ridge are all OK, though houses rather than apartments.  Section 9 is the area where many asians live.

Thika is very nice and a great place for a family. There are nice apartments and houses around. I live here with my family and it's awesome.