Menu
Expat.com

Purchasing a home

Last activity 30 January 2018 by RexB

RexB

I have read so much conflicting information on the internet, can anyone advise whether :-
1. Is VAT payable on resale homes?
2. If so, are transfer fees, stamp duty and property tax calculated on the price including VAT?
3. Is a sale price generally agreed by negotiation or is an offer below the advertised price culturally unacceptable?

Thanks in excited anticipation. Our move to Peyia is booked for April 4th and our household effects get loaded into a container in 3 weeks.

Toon

Hi and welcome in advance to Peyia lol

Hi I dont think VAT is charged extra over against the purchase of the property.

Stamp duty is calculated on the purchase price but transfer tax is calculated on a valuation of what the land registry think the property is worth.

The sale price is agreed by negotiating with the vendor possibly even via their agent and as far as i am aware negotiation or making an offer is always worth it

Toon

From  what i can find out from others i know who have bought here

Purchase price is not vatable

vat is charged on things such as lawyers costs stamp duty, transfer fees etc etc

and the people ive spoken to all made offers despite being told that the properties are never overpriced thus  priced to sell -   they made offers and didnt pay the full asking price so id say it would be culturally unacceptable not to haggle

good luck

Toon

another friend of mine who is in the realty business said this

"There is no vat on a resale. The taxes are based on an index linked government valuation of the house & bears no resemblance to market value (when you pay they ask if you will be appealing) so some of the sums may be higher than you expect. So be prepared..... An old Immovable Property Tax bill showed us the government valued the house double the market rate"

so be aware

Toon

i have some other information for you so will PM you with it as its from a personal friend of mine OK

RexB

Thanks Toon. Really invaluable advice. I have PM'd you regarding your friend's advice.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

• Buying property in Cyprus
    Buying property in Cyprus

Are you thinking of investing in property in Cyprus? You are definitely not alone. The interest for real estate in ...

• Accommodation in Cyprus
    Accommodation in Cyprus

With a population of 1.19 million, Cyprus is the third most densely populated island in the Mediterranean. ...

• Accommodation in Nicosia
    Accommodation in Nicosia

With a population of 200,452 people, the capital city of Nicosia is the most densely populated in Cyprus. Dubbed ...

• Raising children in Cyprus
    Raising children in Cyprus

As Cyprus is one of the safest countries in the world, you shouldn't have any worries about raising your kids ...

• Driving in Cyprus
    Driving in Cyprus

As Cyprus is a small island, the best way to get around is by car. But is your drivers license valid in the ...

• Northern Cyprus holidays
    Northern Cyprus holidays

North Cyprus is one of the last unspoilt, most beautiful and popular island holiday destinations in the ...

• General visa requirements for Cyprus
    General visa requirements for Cyprus

If you are planning on a short-term stay in Cyprus, you should know beforehand whether or not you will need a ...

• Permanent residency and citizenship in Cyprus
    Permanent residency and citizenship in Cyprus

The complexity of staying long-term in Cyprus (for more than 90 days) varies greatly depending on your ...

All of Cyprus's guide articles