Croatian citerzenship question

Hi
I am looking to seek a croatian citerzenship via my grandparents. Who were born in Croatia than imigrated to Australia. I have spoken to the Croatian consulate in Australia. They told me i would require
-birth certificates from grandparents, parents and mine
-I would need to complete a test showing my understanding of croatian culture and the language. (In practice test i am averaging 14 out of 15.) My understanding of Croatian is at the basic level but is getting better
-A resume explaing my claim, reasons for wanting to get citerzenship and my thoughts on the croatian country.

I have also contacted a croatian lawyer who told me that what i need is
-my documents
-paragraph describing my connection to croatia and the language.
This option is going to be quite expensive

So what i am wanting to know is the following
-Which of these options is the correct method for my case?
-Are there any lawyers other people have used that were good?

Thanks
Alyssia

Hi Alyssia, this just came up in my email today hence the late reply.

Everything you specified is needed. I'm from California, my father was from Herzegovina and I'm working with a lawyer here in Split (long story but I'm her first citizenship client). In addition, I was asked to provide a criminal record (which must be under six months old), a birth certificate with an Apostille Stamp which had to be translated into Croatian by an official translator, a marriage certificate translated into Croatian, and my father's birth certificate.

I took the Citizenship test (passed), provided letters by three people who could vouch for my involvement in the Croatian community (all written in and/or translated into Croatian), and brought my father's paper's such as high school report cards (from Slavonia) and his baptism certificate (from Medugorje). This whole process has taken at least one year and my papers finally went to Zagreb recently.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your process. I think showing your ties with the Croatian community in Australia will go a long way.