Menu
Expat.com

Buying a guesthouse in Chiang Mai and retire there

Last activity 27 July 2018 by Mark louw

Mark louw

Would it be possible to buy a guesthouse in Chiang Mai and retire there  and live off the profits and employ some Thai people to help run it.
.I am currently living in south Africa.
Regards
Mark

Nemodot

You cant legally own freehold in Thailand as a non Thai. Basically you need a leasehold. You have to employ Thai workers - you cant do any work without a work permit. If you do any work you would be deported and lose the business (many stories of this happening) usually to the Thai partner - usually a wife.

You need expert legal advice and plenty of cash to do this. Many hostels in  Chiang Mai - just been there for a week in one. Cut throat business! Remember any issue of foreigner vs Thai the Thai wins. Odds are stacked against you. Only for the brave.

Mark louw

Hi Thanks for info How do you get a work permit. ?
What else can a foreigner do there .I am 60 in October but have lots of energy left I have a partner that will come with me
Want a safe and comfortable place to retire in  .Would still like to earn an income and dont mind helping others to start a business ..
Doesn't sound like they want expats to come and stay there and improve there lives.
Regards
Mark

Nemodot

Oh you are being naive! Thai saying "foreigner who know too much is no good" as in they want to extract your cash they dont want foreigners improving anything. Thais for Thailand.

To be honest its mad to invest capital in Thailand. Use investments outside of Thailand to generate income to rent a house and live there. Especially as a retiree. Why do you want stress at 60? It is possible but a young mans game imho. Of course mostly its bars for older men to invest in and thats a fools paradise.

It isnt safe. Its the death hub of the world - no 1 place to die in as a foreigner (not natural deaths). One of the main issues is health at an older age and poor health care. At 60 decent insurance will start to be expensive. And death by "suicide" where a man is found tied to a chair with a plastic bag over his head and a "grieving" girl widow 1-3rd his age inherits his cash. Pattaya divorce its called. And many a relationship breaks up in Thailand as the allure of a younger partner weakens many a man. Seen it happen a lot.

Just go for an extended holiday. You will get bored eventually and it isnt that cheap. Flexibility is the key. Many nice places atound to stay in Asia as a retiree.

tipmick

Every country have 2 side. My English husband we met on internet after 1 year  met in Thailand and married, almost 15 years now. We been to around 22 countries and found the most happy life with low cost of living is Thailand.

WE bought  land and house on company name. Investment on  stock market , good income for living in 2 countries.

Zeus.wmo
Mark louw wrote:

Would it be possible to buy a guesthouse in Chiang Mai and retire there  and live off the profits and employ some Thai people to help run it.
.I am currently living in south Africa.
Regards
Mark

Hello,
To answer your question, yes, it's possible if you really want to do it. I don't know many of the rules, but I do know that foreigners cannot own property outright. You would need to put ownership in Thai company name. Then you have to research the hotel/condo/apartment rental rules to make sure you can operate this place of yours. It's probably not as easy as you think. But, if that is what you want to spend your money on, then go for it. The Thai people I know are very grateful to foreigners who help bring prosperity, money and jobs to their country.
Kindly...  Zeus

Mark louw

Thanks Zeus.
Going to come through in October and have a look and see how it goes.
Would be nice to stay in a place where people appreciate you and can also help others as we go along the journey of life
Regards
Mark

Mark louw

Thanks.Will keep all that in mind.I have a partner so not interested in ladies there..
Just a nice place to enjoy .Will come for a holiday.

Mark louw

What other places do you think might be an option in Asia.?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Chiang Mai

• Accommodation in Chiang Mai
    Accommodation in Chiang Mai

More and more digital nomads, teachers, entrepreneurs, retirees, volunteers, and NGO workers are flocking to the ...

• Accommodation in Thailand
    Accommodation in Thailand

If you are about to move to Thailand, one of the first things to look into would be where you will live. Thailand ...

• Buying a property in Thailand
    Buying a property in Thailand

The astounding beaches, smiling people, and gourmet food will make you want to own a property in Thailand. ...

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

• Income tax in Thailand
    Income tax in Thailand

Thailand is not a tax haven. In Thailand, there are two main types of taxpayers — residents and ...

• Working in Pattaya
    Working in Pattaya

Pattaya may not be as idyllic as some of Thailand's other beach destinations. However, it is still one of the ...

• Getting married in Thailand
    Getting married in Thailand

The kingdom of Thailand is a stunningly beautiful wedding destination. Its crystal clear beaches, lush green ...

• Starting a business in Thailand
    Starting a business in Thailand

Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and the 26th-largest economy in the world. It offers many ...

All of Chiang Mai's guide articles