Menu
Expat.com

Where to buy good cheese in Jakarta?

Last activity 19 February 2019 by indostocks

laurel94

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Jakarta - have just celebrated the first month here. Currently dying for some good cheese (Cheddar, Gouda etc), but so far the selection available at local supermarkets has disappointed. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

Fred

I don't much bother with the post demi-western shops but I gather Ranchmarket and other similar places keep stocks of that sort of thing.
Likely to be expensive because of luxury goods import taxes.

lukereg

Try Kemchicks in Kemang or Pacific Place but beware its not cheap. They have a fantastic range of dairy or if you are close to a Hero try them.

GuestPoster0210

Dont bother with the local markets etc give
Rosalie cheese in Jakarta a go it is your best bet for “real” cheeses
Similar prices to Singapore but a hell of a lot better than the long shelf life crap in the shops / imported cheap stuff, it’s all made locally  using local ingredients, very tasty stuff and no artificial crap in its ingredients
They is a supplier or shop some place in Jakarta you can visit as I get it brought over every so often no idea of the location though

Fred
Gwmeath wrote:

Site looks good

http://www.rosaliecheese.co.id/

GuestPoster0210
Fred wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

Site looks good

http://www.rosaliecheese.co.id/

Never even crossed my mind to see if they had a website, a friend visits Jakarta monthly or so, so I usually place a order with him, pretty good stuff to be honest

indostocks

Rosalie cheese is also available at R&B shop in Yogyakarta.

Availability of flavors and prices (per Kilo) vary. As stated by other posters Rosalie makes an honest product and can be compared to similar Chevre etc cheeses produced in France or Australia in terms of quality of product. They still have to work a bit on their packaging but that is less important.

R&B also sells Gorgonzola, Haloumi cheese etc.

Prices are high compared to industrial cheeses but this is the same as in other countries in the West.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Jakarta

All of Jakarta's guide articles