Menu
Expat.com

Random observations

Last activity 19 March 2019 by OceanBeach92107

Jim-Minh
Veterancat48 wrote:

JIM-MINH

That is rude to say about American Women !! Plenty to show and more Pal. A post from January 2019 " Most American women don't have much to show off" I am surprised I am the only one commenting on this.

The latest federal data show that nearly 40 percent of American adults were obese in 2015–16, up from 34 percent in 2007–08. (this includes women)

Vietnam has the lowest rate of adult obesity: global study -
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 98832.html

Perhaps you prefer your women obese. American women have too much to show off and it is getting worse. Compare a 5-minute video of pedestrians in Saigon to a 5-minute video of pedestrians in New York. The differences are BLATINGLY obvious almost to the point of comedy.

Guest2023
Jim-Minh wrote:
Veterancat48 wrote:

JIM-MINH

That is rude to say about American Women !! Plenty to show and more Pal. A post from January 2019 " Most American women don't have much to show off" I am surprised I am the only one commenting on this.

The latest federal data show that nearly 40 percent of American adults were obese in 2015–16, up from 34 percent in 2007–08.

Vietnam has the lowest rate of adult obesity: global study -
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 98832.html

Perhaps you prefer your women obese. American women have too much to show off and it is getting worse. Compare a 5-minute video of pedestrians in Saigon to a 5-minute video of pedestrians in New York. The differences are BLATINGLY obvious almost to the point of comedy.

Give it a few decades and the same thing will happen here. Just check out the all fat kids you see all over Viet Nam.

Jim-Minh
colinoscapee wrote:

Give it a few decades and the same thing will happen here. Just check out the all fat kids you see all over Viet Nam.

I have seen some overweight Vietnamese children. But if you go to an American school you will see a collection of Sta-Puffed marshmallow creatures. It is a real problem. I visited a Viet school at Tet and didn't see anything like what I've seen in America.

I agree it is a growing problem, especially with the proliferation of electronic games and their attendant inactivity.

That being said, I was criticized for making an absolutely accurate observation. I have every right to contest.

THIGV

Jim-Minh:  Would you be willing to tell us your waistline and BMI ratio?

Jim-Minh

I don't know my BMI but I am 6' 2" with a 34" waist and weigh 193#

An online calculator says 24.8

THIGV
Jim-Minh wrote:

Not bad.  Certainly not as svelte as the typical Vietnamese woman but certainly better than the typical American male.  Your are free to criticize.   one.png

OceanBeach92107
Jim-Minh wrote:

I'm 6'2". Obese

In my defense, Twinkies...

lol.png

Ciambella
THIGV wrote:

Certainly not as svelte as the typical Vietnamese woman but certainly better than the typical American male.  Your are free to criticize.   one.png

My husband is 5’7”, 65 - 66 kg, wears 32” waist Levi’s, not a typical American male either.  Too slim IMO.  I constantly push him to breakfast out at the local NZ bar/restaurant several times a week and have protein powder drink with the hope that he would gain more kilos, but he burns it all in bike riding anyway.

Jim-Minh
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jim-Minh wrote:

I'm 6'2". Obese

lol.png

I remember the twinkie defense...
SFO 1983 or so, used junk food as an excuse for murder.

OceanBeach92107
Jim-Minh wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jim-Minh wrote:

I'm 6'2". Obese

lol.png

I remember the twinkie defense...
SFO 1983 or so, used junk food as an excuse for murder.

Yep.

My students...

🤣🤣🤣

Guest2023

The ants here are tiny and extremely fast compared to ants in Central Europe.

The dogs here bark much faster than in Central Europe. While a dog in Central Europe barks "woof" once, a Vietnamese dog barks "woof, woof, woof" (three times).

THIGV
Andy Passenger wrote:

The ants here are tiny and extremely fast compared to ants in Central Europe.

The dogs here bark much faster than in Central Europe. While a dog in Central Europe barks "woof" once, a Vietnamese dog barks "woof, woof, woof" (three times).

You seem to be a regular Charles Darwin, Andy.   wink.png

OceanBeach92107

The little bananas are SO much better than the big ones.

Rice (Cơm) is not a side dish. It is the central part of a meal, and much more culturally. I wish I'd kept a copy of an article in the Vietnam Airlines inflight magazine; an "ode" to sticky rice, for lack of a better word. Anyway, I've discovered that if I just want rice by itself, I either have to translate "no meat, no vegetables", or simply point for a sidewalk vendor that I only want THAT.

The price of fresh juice helps me determine if a menu is overpriced. There are a couple of vendors here in Đà Nẵng who sell fresh Pineapple juice for ₫10,000. ₫15k is more common in non-foreigner areas. ₫25k to ₫30k is the going rate in everyday cafes here. Nicer restaurants may charge ₫40k to ₫50k. Anything over that indicates a rip-off (to me). In a nightclub or fancy coffee shop, I've seen prices up around ₫80k. Anything much over that is overpriced in my book, unless the location and entertainment are outstanding.

Ciambella
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Anyway, I've discovered that if I just want rice by itself, I either have to translate "no meat, no vegetables", or simply point for a sidewalk vendor that I only want THAT.

Next time, tell them “Xin cho tôi cơm trắng.” (Please give me plain rice.)  The literal translation is white rice, but it’s also understood as plain rice.

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Anyway, I've discovered that if I just want rice by itself, I either have to translate "no meat, no vegetables", or simply point for a sidewalk vendor that I only want THAT.

Next time, tell them “Xin cho tôi cơm trắng.” (Please give me plain rice.)  The literal translation is white rice, but it’s also understood as plain rice.

Yes, the other day I did discover that "cơm trắng" is understood at my favorite cafe. Now though, when I walk in the door they ask me, "rice?" in English. I say "vâng" and get exactly what I want.

My latest diet is to cut out virtually all fat, and I'm finding that the carbs in plain rice are actually helpful now to my digestion, especially if I don't eat it while it's piping hot and let it cool. It has to do with the theory of "resistant starches":

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/re … starch-101

Jim-Minh
Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

She nailed it OB. There's no excuse for the vendor to try to force meat or veggies on you if you say it like that. And if they do you can say "Tôi không muốn thịt hay rau." (I don't want meat or vegetables.)

Jim-Minh
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

My latest diet is to cut out virtually all fat, and I'm finding that the carbs in plain rice are actually helpful now to my digestion, especially if I don't eat it while it's piping hot and let it cool. It has to do with the theory of "resistant starches":

One of the objects for my trip back to Dallas is to learn how to control my diabetes so I can discontinue about $500 per month of medications. That would pay for very much of a comfortable Vietnamese lifestyle. The meds also have side effects I do not like.
And limiting carbs is very much a part of what I have to do, which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do.

OceanBeach92107
Jim-Minh wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

One of the objects for my trip back to Dallas is to learn how to control my diabetes so I can discontinue about $500 per month of medications. That would pay for very much of a comfortable Vietnamese lifestyle. The meds also have side effects I do not like.
And limiting carbs is very much a part of what I have to do, which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to do.

I've been limiting carbs one way or another since I first did Atkins in 1978.

This may be a repeat of what we discussed in your other thread, but I've learned that all carbs truly are NOT created as equals.

Also, the problem for me as an Agent Orange related diabetic is not simply carbs. The huge problem is the insulin response from many carbs.

So the "Glycemic Index" and levels of "Glycemic Load" indicate which carbs are safer and even beneficial for me (put green apples & mangoes on that list, along with black cherries and beans) in causing a mild insulin response.

"Fit For Life" taught me about good food combinations, and how I need to avoid eating protein or fat with my carbs. Today my lunch was white rice cooled with tomato, cucumber and white onion salad.

Tonight I'll have grilled fish with a green vegetable.

Now, "Resistant Starches" theory has shown me why certain carbs have always instinctively seemed safe to me: cold boiled potatoes, cold boiled spaghetti noodles, cold beans cooked from scratch without sauce; all without any added fat and eaten without protein at the same time. Taro root boiled and cooled also.

I have discovered that "slipping" and adding fat to my carb of choice can increase my blood sugar 100 points or more.

Jim-Minh

During my stay in the hospital in Saigon, they measured my blood glucose two hours after every meal. That was a real eye-opener for me. My blood glucose only went over 140 twice in three weeks. And when that did happen, a two-unit shot of insulin brought it right back down.
Now the food was bad and that may have a lot to do with the low levels because I didn't eat much of it but I also didn't get any exercise.

I am going to review the websites you linked us to and I'm also going to work with my doctor to see if I can get things under control.

It's 4:03 AM in Dallas so I'll sign off for now and pick it up tomorrow.

OceanBeach92107
Jim-Minh wrote:

During my stay in the hospital in Saigon, they measured my blood glucose two hours after every meal. That was a real eye-opener for me. My blood glucose only went over 140 twice in three weeks. And when that did happen, a two-unit shot of insulin brought it right back down.
Now the food was bad and that may have a lot to do with the low levels because I didn't eat much of it but I also didn't get any exercise.

I am going to review the websites you linked us to and I'm also going to work with my doctor to see if I can get things under control.

That glucose level is especially good, considering you were in there for treatment for an infection, which usually raises blood glucose levels.

I'm surprised at (and personally not in harmony with) their decision to be so aggressive in covering your glucose.

As an R.N., we generally didn't start our sliding scale for insulin coverage for less than a blood glucose reading of 200. I'm aware some physicians prefer to start coverage at 150, but as more internists are becoming educated as to the long-term dangers of elevated insulin levels, it's more common (in my experience) for coverage to be less strict.

One time I made the mistake of calling a particular physician in the middle of the night when a patient had a 160 reading.

I was heavily schooled by him and our nurse educator the next day.

That's the standard we were taught: "Is the level so high that you would wake a physician in the middle of the night for an order?"

There's a reason Medicine is called a "practice"...  wink.png

OceanBeach92107
Jim-Minh wrote:

Personal update:

I've been eating fat-free, mostly rice, salads and vegetarian Mì Quảng for three days now, eating pineapple, bananas, mangos and drinking juice in reasonable amounts, plus some beans & tofu and shrimp & broiled fish, and drinking plenty of water

My AC blood glucose at 17:30 today was 120

I haven't taken any diabetic meds of any kind in over a month.

My gut that had been chronically bothering me for a few years has totally quieted down.

I'm just saying buddy, I'm 100 lbs more than you at the same height, and I really think that diet plus reasonable walking, no alcohol and good fluid intake could get a lot of diabetics under control and off of meds.

I hope all is going well for you.

Jim-Minh

Wow, OB, that's a great number. Especially considering you haven't taken meds for a month. I've been taking metformin for years. That's like having all-day every-day diarrhea. Getting off the meds would have great financial as well as quality of life benefits.

I noticed you mentioned staying hydrated. I stay dehydrated to a great degree and wondered how much maintaining a hydrated lifestyle might help.

OceanBeach92107
Jim-Minh wrote:

Wow, OB, that's a great number. Especially considering you haven't taken meds for a month. I've been taking metformin for years. That's like having all-day every-day diarrhea. Getting off the meds would have great financial as well as quality of life benefits.

I noticed you mentioned staying hydrated. I stay dehydrated to a great degree and wondered how much maintaining a hydrated lifestyle might help.

I personally think it's absolutely necessary. Especially if you are prone to any sugar spikes. It's one of the best first lines of response to drink a couple of glasses of water to start to bring your blood sugar down

Jim-Minh

There is so much conflicting information being published.

One camp says almost no carbs with fats and protein is the way to go and the insulin resistance camp says no fat and selected high carbs is the way to go.

It is very confusing.

FOR THE MEANTIME, I am going with the approach that limits my glucose spikes while I evaluate the insulin resistance aspect. I view that as the safest approach for me to take at this time. I have neuropathy issues so I can't afford to aggravate that condition by experimenting with insulin resistance moderation. I can do that later when I understand the whats and whys of how that works without further damaging the nerves in my hands and feet.

So I am going to test, test, test, and stay safe while I continue to educate myself.

And by the grace of God, someone may stumble onto the drug that reverses insulin resistance and makes it possible to eat the foods we ate in our youth.

Ciambella
Jim-Minh wrote:

And by the grace of God, someone may stumble onto the drug that reverses insulin resistance and makes it possible to eat the foods we ate in our youth.

I still can eat the foods I ate in my youth, I just don't anymore because my taste buds have changed, but I would pray to all Gods for anything that can reverse signs of aging.  What is the purpose of wrinkles?  What in Hades are laugh lines?  Crow's feet, forehead rows, and glabellar lines,  they have no business embedding themselves on my face.  Out, damn'd spots!

michaellieptourists

Maybe those that wish to discuss there medical conditions could do so under a new heading and others that do not wish to know how over weight you are could return to the original heading of RANDOM OBSERVATIONS.

I have a couple to mention,
Today we took my wife’s 87 year old Mother out for a change of scenery, she is here on holiday from Australia.
There is no shopping centre that could supply a wheelchair, we visited or phoned them all.
Last night we decided to visit the Creperie in D2 and to check out the amazing Japanese restaurant called Moku just up the road. There is either no pavement at all or just broken concrete, didn’t know whether to watch where we were walking or dodge the traffic.
Feel sorry for the restaurant owners who are not getting the passing trade they could and should be getting...

Jim-Minh

Point well made dear lady.

Heinlein made mention of a statue in his novel "Stranger In a Strange Land" of a beautiful woman trying to support a great stone but being crushed in the process. That stone represented age.

I can imagine the beauty of your youth and I can read the beauty of your intellect. Be content to wait for the technology that will once again match your physical beauty with that of your mind.

michaellieptourists

You might notice that I mentioned my wife’s Mother...
My youth unfortunately has gone, I celebrate my 72nd Birthday on the 5th March...
I have also just passed the 12 month mark having had cancer removed from my prostate...
Now I’m talking health,
To get back to my random observations......

Jim-Minh

Michael - I am very happy your mom-in-law was able to join you in Vietnam and I hope she had a great visit. I am also happy your cancer has been excised.

OSHA and ADA have no compliance obligations in Vietnam. This is the real world, buddy.

Back to Random Observations...

Jim-Minh
michaellieptourists wrote:

You might notice that I mentioned my wife’s Mother...
My youth unfortunately has gone, I celebrate my 72nd Birthday on the 5th March...
I have also just passed the 12 month mark having had cancer removed from my prostate...
Now I’m talking health,
To get back to my random observations......

This is the real world, Michael. Would you destroy present-day Vietnam by having them upgrade to ADA  standards?

OceanBeach92107
michaellieptourists wrote:

Maybe those that wish to discuss there medical conditions could do so under a new heading and others that do not wish to know how over weight you are could return to the original heading of RANDOM OBSERVATIONS.

Since the back and forth on that was between me and the OP, you'd think he would speak up if he thought the posts were out of place in the thread he started and titled.

Are you peeved because you feel inappropriately ignored again?

I'm not surprised that you are the one who would take it upon themself to restrict the definition of "random"...

Jim-Minh wrote:

Point well made dear lady.

Heinlein made mention of a statue in his novel "Stranger In a Strange Land" of a beautiful woman trying to support a great stone but being crushed in the process. That stone represented age.

I can imagine the beauty of your youth and I can read the beauty of your intellect. Be content to wait for the technology that will once again match your physical beauty with that of your mind.

It was my impression your post was a reply to @Ciambella, Jim.

I suppose it makes sense that @michaellieptourists would assume you were talking to them...

Jim-Minh

OB, I am very happy to evoke brain activity in anyone, regardless of the stimulus.

Ciambella is a beacon of light in a sea of darkness - what a talented lady.

The daughter of my wife shares the light - she is also great fun.

Ya know what I mean, Vern?

Well edited, OB...

GaVinh

The bloody plastic ! Vietnam needs to start moving away from that garbage , sooner rather than later . But that’s easy for me to say as a New Zealander... less than 5 million people here . I really think the only way to beat  the problem , is if products like those horrible polystyrene containers etc ., stop being manufactured. Down here , in the land where no one lives , we have many biodegradable options.

SteinNebraska

I saw a highway lane striping crew today.  One guy with a 4" roller applying a clear (I assume) adhesion promoter, a second guy chalk lining the stripes with the outlines of the current start/stop lines for each hashed line even though the current lines were clearly visible.  Last guy with a 4" roller and a rolling bucket/roller tray painting the lines by hand.

OceanBeach92107
SteinNebraska wrote:

I saw a highway lane striping crew today.  One guy with a 4" roller applying a clear (I assume) adhesion promoter, a second guy chalk lining the stripes with the outlines of the current start/stop lines for each hashed line even though the current lines were clearly visible.  Last guy with a 4" roller and a rolling bucket/roller tray painting the lines by hand.

No unemployment there... 😂

Jim-Minh

I visited Ha Tien in 1998. On my way back to Saigon we passed road workers that were paving the road with rocks. They were sitting in the middle of the road pounding the rocks into the surface of the road with hammers.

Jim-Minh

I almost forgot this one... In 1999 I attended a wedding in Can Tho. That night my GF and I went upstairs and went to bed (which was a 7' X 7' sheet of mahogany with no mattress). I woke up about 3 hours later, needing to go to the bathroom. I was astonished to find the entire room was full of people sleeping on the floor - wall-to-wall people. They had to unlock a door to the downstairs to let me go to the bathroom. I woke up everyone in the room in the process.

OceanBeach92107

When crossing the street on foot, no matter how much space is behind you--between you and the corner--motorbikes will always cut you off (in front of you) when turning, instead of turning behind you.

I think I know why, but I'll let someone else brainstorm it.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles