New members of the Nepal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Nepal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Nepal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hola! I am an xpat currently living in Mexico for 13 yrs. However, from my experience trekking 4 x in Nepal....I would like to retire there. My interest in this blog is to gather useful info from other xpats
already in Kathmandu or especially in Pokhara. My name is Denise Aughtman and I am a Doctor of Oriental Medicine - acupuncture and herbal homeopathy. Let me hear from anyone out there!!!!
Gratefully - D

Denise, Welcome. Sorry I missed your post. Retiring in Nepal is a bit difficult. On a tourist visa, you can only stay for 5 months. If you have a lot of money to invest you can get a business visa, but that's expensive and not necessarily what an older person needs.
My suggestion is to come for the winter. You could come in August and stay until the following March 31 and then come back in Nov. and stay until March the following year, which would be 5 months. But I've been told that if you go to the embassy in the US (and hopefully elsewhere) you can get a 6-month visa. I think if you could contact them outside of Nepal I've heard it's easier.
If you'd like a winter vacation instead of shoveling snow the Kathmandu Valley is really nice in the wintertime. You can get your teeth fixed really cheap and some other medical testing and alternative treatments and live for less than $1,000 a month-a lot less. The people are kind and society is gentle. It's really a safe place to live. I absolutely love it here. PM me if you have questions or post them here. I'm always happy to help. I have a Youtube channel to help tourists with tips. Just #WhatAboutNepal

Hi Denise. Like MadagascarNow quite rightly points out, retiring in Nepal is difficult, not made easy by any means. Also, if you had any intention to practice acupuncture/herbal homeopathy to earn some extra money, it's strictly against the rules and regulations to do that here on a tourist visa, so you can forget that. Nepal is pleasant enough in August, September, October, and early November, but for my money, come December, and during January and February, it's just too darn cold for me (and notably most other post-retirement people who've reached the seventies ++)  As it's been pointed out here in these columns, central heating is non existent in Nepal!
P.S. I love Mexico!!

Hello,

I am considering a move to Pokhara, I am leaving Pondicherry, IN.  I have three dogs that I will fly to Nepal.  I plan to visit in a couple of weeks to try and gain a sense of Pokhara, housing, etc.  I would love to connect with anyone there and some guidance on housing, etc.

Thanks!
Sophia

Pokhara is a very beautiful city of Nepal. You are warm welcomed here. Please contact me if anything I could do for you. My contact no. is ***

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum

Nice to see u sir....let's connect sometime may be for a coffee

Any help u need please feel free to message me...No charge this is just for a social....****

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Kamala

For security reasons please do not post contact details on the open forum.

Hi:

I am new to this forum.  Currently I live in New Mexico (USA), and am a professor.  I am thinking about Nepal more often these days from the perspective of both leisure and purpose. 

On the purpose side, I visit Nepal occasionally, but lately once a year for a month or so to get involved in some community projects (environment, health, bio-diversity, and women's empowerment) in and around the town of Siddharthanagar.  I joined the forum to see if there are  expats who have expertise and/or volunteering spirit and interest to get involved in some of these projects/ideas. Please write to me for details. 

On the leisure side, I wanted to spend my time in the nature away from KTM's crowd and pollution.  Flanked by two small community forests, and connected to the Kodari highway, I have access to a hilly land near Dhulikhel with the mountain view.  Not that far from the famous Mountain View resort, and the Dhulikhel Hospital and the university town of Dhulikhel itself (3 KM), it looked like a great opportunity for organic farming, B&B for sustainability, enough plot for camping, and a pollution free location with star filled nights -- at least that was the thinking behind my leisure plan for Nepal stay. The earth quake incident set me  back on this.  Even though I am originally from Nepal, I wanted to read the posts from various expats on the forum to see what they are thinking about their Nepal living, and adjust my own thinking along the way. I have been away from Nepal for a long time, and so I thought I needed some different perspective on my thinking. Hence expat.com!

Thanks for letting me indulge.

Best,
Alok Bohara

Welcome to all the newbies on this forum. It's been pretty much troll-free and a nice group of members.

Just to let everyone know I heard about US citizens being able to stay here in Nepal for 5 years. I'm trying to get more info. but since a lot of people in this forum had questions on this you can call the Nepali embassy in the US and see what you can find out. A lot of time, India for sure, you need to apply in the US. The local people don't have the info. I think India has a 10 year for US money (oops, I mean tourists).

Just thought I'd pass this on to everyone. I'll be interviewing someone from the government very soon about it and will post the video up on Youtube. Here's our channel's first trailer. It's still a bit rough, but I'm enjoying doing the videos a lot more than my last diversion-guesthouse hostess. https://youtu.be/qEeNcuk0pGM

Anyone who can get info on this please share.

I was at the Tourist Police and asked about this USA special 5-year visa and I was told it's still in parliament. So check with the Nepal Embassy in the US for the latest word. Please post it in the forum here if you can find out anything to help.

Nepal is one of the most beautiful Country to visit once in tour lifetime. So If you are thinking to travel to other places in the world or being confused about where to go for Visit then just think about Nepal.

Hello all!!!

I am beginning to consider relocating to Kathmandu, Nepal for health reasons. I understand that Nepal has one of the lowest rates of cancer. I wonder why?

I'm currently in the US & selling my home ASAP.

Wow!!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Hi, I'm Hannah. Currently in Edinburgh. I'm married to a Nepali, we have a house in Nuwakot that we've nearly finished rebuilding. I'd love to find a way to meet people when we're in Nepal so I'm not so reliant on my husband for social needs. I've a 6 yo son too. Also wondering if anyone had any contacts for learning Nepali? Kindest,  H x

Hello Julien. Thank you for the hospitality :).

I am considering to move to Nepal on a contract but have kids that need to go to school. I am looking for information for any  good and affordable international schools in Kathmandu before I make a decision. The prices I found online are around 20k USD for secondary school, certainly out of my reach.

I would appreciate any info on this.

Hi Sophia,
  Could you write a bit more about your preferences. I shall help you with the informations and other possible arrangements.

With Best Regards'
Evad Dave

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880492

Thanks!

Closed