Menu
Expat.com

The pet culture in Maldives

Last activity 21 March 2019 by pd5683

Priscilla

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Maldives just to make sure that their little expets feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Maldives by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Maldives? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

pd5683

What part do pets play in society in Maldives? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

- Long time ago its not easily accepted. But now I can see its better. So I would say depend on the type of the pet, It will be ok.

Is it common for families to have pets?

- Its now very common in Maldives .

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

- DOGS are not allow to even enter to Maldives, since Maldives is a 100 percent Muslim country. So we do not have dogs.

Normally people have cats as pet. Or birds.

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

This was a big problem still in Maldives, cox I have seen some people looking for foods, grooming stuffs, accessories for their cats. By last year there were no shop. People always bring from other countries. But maybe now they might have a shop. Even have a shop also, I do not think can be more than one shop.

But I saw from news now there is a pet hospital, that is a good news.

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Depend on the person and how much love for their pet, yes there are people spend money a lot also. Anyway even we want spend money for our cats for example, but can we get from Maldives. haha

Hope this will help you.
If you have any more need to clear, let me know.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Maldives

All of Maldives's guide articles