Children integration in a new school in China

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to China, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to China by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in China?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in China?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in China.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I am afraid that I am a bit of an outlier in this matter. We have opted for our children to be fully and completely integrated in Chinese culture. We decided that an International school was out of our budget and not necessary to accomplish the goals that we have laid out for the children. That being said...

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in China?

The top criteria is the ability to make friends. When the child is international, the ability to speedily make friends becomes of upmost importance. Having friends enables them to quickly integrate into culture. It offers support, play, and shared experiences and understandings that us parents cannot provide.

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in China?

Make sure that they can speak Chinese to a basic conversational level. Talk with the teachers and principal. Closely monitor to make sure that the child's integration is successful. Look for bad behaviors or other signs of problems.

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Help the child make friends. Where possible link up with other parents and go out to eat together. Have the kids share meals with the parents and you all. The most important aspect is integration. Once integration is achieved, the learning part comes easy.

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

I do not advise it. I would try to avoid changing schools once the child is out of elementary school.

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Acting out. Poor behaviors. Not doing their studies. Not eating well, and odd twitches or glitches that might indicate that they are being bullied at school.