Menu
Expat.com

100% disabled veterans and healthcare in Mexico?

Last activity 02 July 2019 by Brow9515

TEXTOMEX

I'm 100% DAV and not sure how vets use this for healthcare in Mexico.  I'd prefer not going back to the US if possible.  I'm not against paying out of pocket for minor visits (I do that here in Texas rather than mess with the bureaucracy to get reimbursed).

Kolobog58

Unfortunately  as  veterans  we  cannot  use  our  VA benefits here in Mexico.  The  only  option is to see  a  local  doctor "consultorio"  which I use for routine checkups.  In San Miguel de Allende I use the local doctor next to Similares Farmacia  which   commonly  have a consultorio next  door  to  their pharmacy/farmacia.  For  urgent matters  I  am  aware of   the hospital  in San Miguel de Allende but  I  have not used it.   I  know that if I have an urgent need,   my  local  doctor here  is  willing  to  help me if need be.  Develop relationships with local  doctors and locals in general as this community has shown me  their compassion to help  me  become a part of the community  and  adapt to a new life here.
I hope  that  I've  answered  your questions and feel free to stay in touch.  Semper Fi  brother veteran.

Brow9515

I’ve been in Mexico for almost 5 years and have not needed major medical assistance yet. I contacted the Va and was told that it was like Tricare Overseas. You pay for the service and submit a form and get reimbursed. I’m retired AirForce and 100%VA. I’ve used the tricare and it takes time, but it works. I suggest you contact the VA and discuss it with them. Good luck!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mexico

• The healthcare system in Mexico
    The healthcare system in Mexico

There are two types of hospitals in Mexico: public and private. Many public hospitals are free, but some can only ...

• Pregnancy in Mexico
    Pregnancy in Mexico

Are you already living in Mexico or thinking about relocating and planning on extending your family? This ...

• Health insurance in Mexico
    Health insurance in Mexico

Both Mexicans and foreign visitors highly regard Mexico's healthcare system. As a result, it attracts a large ...

• Accidents and emergencies in Mexico
    Accidents and emergencies in Mexico

Being an expat in Mexico, you may be unsure how to handle an emergency, such as an accident or other tragedy. This ...

• Dating in Mexico
    Dating in Mexico

We can recognize an intrinsic spark of love in the Mexican culture, "la serenata." Remember that ...

• Leisure activities in Mexico
    Leisure activities in Mexico

Mexico has activities for everyone: from exciting adventure to peaceful relaxation, high culture to rowdy street ...

• Working in Cancun
    Working in Cancun

Cancun and surrounding areas are popular destinations for both tourists and expatriates alike. Cancun is the ...

• Accommodation in Cancun
    Accommodation in Cancun

Like in other parts of Mexico, the best way to find accommodation in Cancun is by searching for one while ...

All of Mexico's guide articles