What's your favorite world city missing from this list?

Hi all. I moved back to the US after living abroad for 6 years and just can't get used to it. America is not for me. I will be working a remote job and planning to move somewhere... but where? My preferences are something like:

-great annual climate
-low cost of living
-low government intrusiveness (i.e. they don't throw people in prison for drug or sex laws)
-big international (and mindful) community and easy to meet people
-activities such as rock climbing, acroyoga, SCUBA, beaches, waterfalls
-clean air and ability to live healthy
-safe
-English-speaking or the local language is learn-able (i.e. Spanish, not Mandarin)

So far on my list I have Lisbon, Buenos Aires, Medellin (although safety score is plummeting for some reason), and Taipei (although not sure about the government there).

What's you favorite city that meets most of my preferences that you think I'm missing? Thanks!

My favorite place to live is Malaysia or Singapore

I'm in Ghana since September 2018. It's gorgeous.

Try it

Eng.MAAKA wrote:

My favorite place to live is Malaysia or Singapore

I really like Malaysia but have yet to experience the pleasures offered by Singapore. However, these are hardly good places for druggies as both have strong laws regarding that activity. The same applies to most countries so the OP's need of drugs is going to limit his choices.

Fred wrote:

I really like Malaysia but have yet to experience the pleasures offered by Singapore. However, these are hardly good places for druggies as both have strong laws regarding that activity. The same applies to most countries so the OP's need of drugs is going to limit his choices.

It's true. And it's a shame because I really love SE Asia. BTW, I am no "druggie", I just prefer to live in a country that ranks higher on the World Index of Moral Freedom. It's a values thing.
Singapore is out of my price range, unfortunately.
Ghana huh? Wow!
Thanks for the tips guys. Any others?

Personally, I would forget the politics and stick to  countries with low crime rates.
If, as you say, you aren't a druggie, any given country's anti drug laws are of no concern save the places with low drug user numbers tend to be safer (rule of thumb).
My chosen country, Indonesia, has what amounts to a shoot to kill policy with dealers, but it's generally very safe unless you put yourself in danger. 'Safe' normally meaning avoiding a few dodgy bits of Jakarta or hanging around with foreign drunks in Kuta, these being areas with higher numbers of drunks and drug puddled idiots, thus more general crime.
IMHO, the World Index of Moral Freedom is idiotic as it concentrates on 'freedom' without even considering the freedom to live safely, thus is the last list I would look at when considering a move.
One country high on the moral freedom list at number 8 is Mexico, a dangerous place that saw over 33,000 murders in 2018, that being a really good reason to dump their daft list into the first fire you see, perhaps in number 22 on the list, Australia.

Fred wrote:

World Index of Moral Freedom is idiotic as it concentrates on 'freedom' without even considering the freedom to live safely

I wasn't considering the Index to be all-encompassing, otherwise I'd choose the Netherlands. I use separate resources for safety, weather, cost-of-living, etc. I know we disagree on this, but I just have moral/ethical issues with paying taxes to a government that would imprison or murder its own residents for moral crimes.

Anyway, I think we are getting off-topic here. My reason for posting was to see if there were any obvious world cities that I was missing.

The list still sits at Lisbon, Buenos Aires, and maybe Medellin (depending on safety) and Taipei (depending on government).

Argentina - Your tax goes to corruption

Colombia - Your tax goes to corruption

Portugal - Liberal drug laws and a 30% increase in overdose deaths over the last 5 years. A lot of reports of police violence / racist attacks - Happy with that use of tax money?

Taiwan - Your tax goes to corruption

The lesson here is forget politics and concentrate on finding safe and pleasant places instead.

I didn't intend for this thread to go this direction. I will unsubscribe now. Sorry.

You asked for ethical governments, but that's about the same as asking for rocking horse manure to fertilise your garden.
Sorry to ruin your day with reality.

Taipei should not be on your list.  Although it is a wonderful city in many ways, it does not meet your criteria.  It rains a great deal, capital punishment exists for several crimes, including drug trafficking, the beaches are unimpressive, and the local language is difficult to learn.

This must be the weirdest thread on the topic of "favorite city" that I've ever seen.
It starts with 'impossible' questions (no right answer/mostly matter of taste) that can have nearly every city as an answer, pretty much no cities are given as answers (even Singapore can be seen as more than just the "city") and then there's the question of morals or ethics of governments... if my criminology studies taught anything, it's that most of the crimes in the world are committed by governments (including agents such as govt bureaucrats, the police, military, intelligence...) and the only measurements for govt corruption is how much & in which way. You might consider that highly immoral and unethical.

So, as a conclusion: wow!?

Willem de S wrote:

This must be the weirdest thread on the topic of "favorite city" that I've ever seen.
It starts with 'impossible' questions (no right answer/mostly matter of taste) that can have nearly every city as an answer, pretty much no cities are given as answers (even Singapore can be seen as more than just the "city") and then there's the question of morals or ethics of governments... if my criminology studies taught anything, it's that most of the crimes in the world are committed by governments (including agents such as govt bureaucrats, the police, military, intelligence...) and the only measurements for govt corruption is how much & in which way. You might consider that highly immoral and unethical.

So, as a conclusion: wow!?

Well, it's been a long time since there has been a moralizing philosopher ...

If we had to stop at conspiracy theories with an American mentality. Like what it is the governments who are responsible for all the global criminal forensics, all of humanity would be in prisons or in the cemetery ...

And to come back to the starting point of this discussion, it is on the contrary interesting because it makes it possible to realize that no one (and it is a chance) is like no other.

And if you had read everything, you would have seen on post # 9 that the initiator of the post had ended his request ...

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR