Carpooling in the United Arab Emirates

Hello everyone,

In order to move around in the United Arab Emirates, you will have to spend time on the road; for your work commute, to drop your children off at school or for everyday trips. Carpooling could be the right option for you. We would like to know your views on carpooling as a means of transport, and whether it is a practical and cost-effective option.

Is carpooling and cost-sharing common practice in the United Arab Emirates? What about the regulations in force?

For which types of journey does carpooling seem more suitable in the United Arab Emirates? How much is the cost of a carpool trip?

Is there an app or other means available to connect people looking to carpool? How do you find other carpoolers?

If you are carpooling in the United Arab Emirates, what precautions should you take to travel safely?

According to you, what are the advantages and disadvantages of carpooling?

Thank you for sharing your experience,
Diksha

carpooling but individual is illegal in UAE, but there are transport companies who licensed and authorized to so carpooling

if you have a UAE license you can use Careem, Uber they have their app this is allowed by the UAE government.

I moved to al ain by September 2019 & have been using Carpooling option for my daily commute to Dubai. Buses are there, but Bus Stand (Al Ain) to Bus Stand ( Dubai) will take atleast 2 hours. Cost & time involved to reach bus stand from home is a different billing.

Taxis - will cost a bomb. On an average it will take 250-350 aed depending on which part of Dubai. Keep in mind . THIS IS ONE WAY ( govt taxis mentioned)..  Forget about UBER or Careem.

I met few people from carpooling & my regular carpooling partner is like a brother to me now. We keep the radio on ..songs...cricket... random topics..tea & shvarma breaks.  carpool world is a legal website, but i am not sure whether it can be used as an option ( didnt find any law against it. the website itself should have been banned just like couchsurfing)

There is a service named Udrive.  Try this.  Web site and mobile app are available.
Car pooling is illegal in UAE.

if it is illegal why do we have the website active and running ?
Udrive got limitations if used outside Dubai.. even if they say per minute billing.. no.. its not.. final bills will come totally different as per the per min calculations.

Udrive may have limitations.  But still people are still using.  In the meantime, for carpooling, websites may exists for a certain period of time till the authorities block it or the portal expires.  BTW, it will be safe not to go for an illegal way.  I did mean it.  Thanks! :)

this carpooling is not the expatriates in visiting visa driving with no licenses .. :) .. all working people offering the ride in the free seats they have..
found it sensible..

@kelvinkwilson
Yes I know about it those people with valid visa who drive for carpooling.  Btw, even we have valid employment visa, we can't offer carpooling to anybody by any means according to the Law existing here in UAE.  If found, they have to face heavy fines/jail/confiscation of vehicle/deportation (may be all together).  So, it is a risk by all means.