Coronavirus news Indonesia

That's useful Fred. We have been using the same website too. It's the official numbers but a pity that it isn't really representative of the true situation.

Thank you, Tokopedia - Well done

https://jakartaglobe.id/tech/tokopedia- … om-covid19

Tokopedia has dumped people that are trying to make massive profits from overpriced coronascare products.

It's OK now. But can deteriorate rapidly if things go worse.

A lock down would hamper distribution channels for farmers, which would hurt them financially and then it would lead to riots.

Shill88 wrote:

That's useful Fred. We have been using the same website too. It's the official numbers but a pity that it isn't really representative of the true situation.

All the numbers from all over the world are likely to be  massively inaccurate  as most only get mild symptoms so never test or report as suspected positives.
That'll be a mix of scared to test, not bothering because press hype makes it sound as if getting it is instant death but they only have a cold like thing, and unreported cases because the panic hadn't started at the time they were ill.

The great thing for the rest of us here is that only you alone can give us the best information on the coronavirus. So not sure how we could cope without your wise words. I only get my information from the news and from talking to people on other sites about it. I am not an authority on the subject. In fact, up until a couple months ago I hadn't even heard of coronavirus.

Certainly in Indonesia due to the incredibly low number of people that were tested, and the fact that quite a lot of people died before being tested and were subsequently wrapped in plastic and buried quickly, then the figures on Indonesia are probably very wrong.

Recently, the Deputy Mayor of Bandung caught the coronvirus. Well my wife's friend's husband who lives in South Jakarta was in a meeting with the Deputy mayor this month and is now coughing all the time. He consulted his doctor and asked about getting tested for Covid-19. The doctor told him that if he goes to the hospital he'd probably need to join the queue of people waiting to get tested, and that if he doesn't have Covid-19 now then he would very likely have it once he left the hospital. The doctor's advice was to stay home and self-isolate and only get tested if he shows the more serious symptoms such as difficulty breathing etc.

This advice is good for anyone who has the more mild symptoms of Coronavirus.

My first delivery of supermarket online ordering is due to be delivered today by Grab according to the supermarket, after waiting for a full week. Unfortunately we were planning to order again this morning but the supermarket's website is down, almost certainly due to being overloaded by orders. The supermarket opens at 6am so while they might not be fully stocked up at that hour, I may have to visit early tomorrow morning.

Shill88 wrote:

. I only get my information from the news and from talking to people on other sites about it.

The news and sosmed are highly reliable - NOT

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51710617 - African rubbish

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51819624 - Italian rubbish

https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-ne … -the-virus - Rubbish from Malaysia

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as … net-hoaxes - Indonesia rightly arrest fake news fools in Indonesia

My kids' schools have parents' WA groups - both full of total rubbish, the latest being about a rat carried disease in China. Turns out only people in direct contact with rat dropping that don't wash their hands after being around it are in any danger - but that didn't stop some idiot spreading the story.
Still, a load of the fools on that group bought overpriced mail order handwash was it was still available locally at normal prices, so that's the sort of utter cretin we have to ignore.

Basically, believing news stories without checking is unwise, especially the nasty tabloids - believing the utter crap on social media is positively retarded.

However, if you want to read and believe it - go for it, but fake stories and panic spreading are unwelcome on here.

2 more deliveries yesterday - A whatever transport set up by the company I ordered from, and a go-jek food delivery.
The former took the usual 2 days, the latter in less than an hour.
I will be popping out for a few things later so I'll report on the state of the shops.
So far, every shop I've looked at in West Java, and in Jakarta itself, have been fully stocked so there are no issues at all when it comes to food and other essentials.
No panic buying at all, and delivery services are normal.

The supermarkets are very quiet, as are the roads, so it's pretty easy to avoid crowds - That being a reasonable idea at the moment.

I do not participate in school WA groups, it's full of gossip mostly, never have belonged to those. But according to my wife they don't discuss Covid-19, they only talk about class work and teachers.

Newspapers are full of rubbish too as you say.

It's great to know your food deliveries are so smooth and fast. Mine aren't. I wonder why that is....perhaps different area, different supermarket chain, different size of town or city? But glad you have yours so efficiently Fred. That's really great.

Also, we rarely go out as we are trying to take self-isolating as seriously as possible. We all need to do our part in this horrible pandemic.

I will no longer comment or give advice on this thread. Thank you Fred.

Wives and partners etc here (expats finance it 🤪) have organised huge deliveries to several local orphanages food, clothing, toiletries, basic medicine, etc etc and its the same possibly 5/6 days for delivery

Gwmeath wrote:

Wives and partners etc here (expats finance it 🤪) have organised huge deliveries to several local orphanages food, clothing, toiletries, basic medicine, etc etc and its the same possibly 5/6 days for delivery

We did for an orphanage a couple of years ago, and that was about the same. It's good to see people helping out.

Fred wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

We did for an orphanage a couple of years ago, and that was about the same. It's good to see people helping out.

We usualy/ always do with BPJS money and whip rounds (ususlly happens when mabuk) especially around ramadan but only absolute if needed, as awful as it sounds they cant become reliant on us although they is a large wedge of cash its for absolute needs only, one or two have even had scholarships/ further education financed etc

Just back from shopping

My wife wandered into a local market - All but empty of shoppers so no problem
We went on to a supermarket - Fully stocked as normal but fewer staff that I usually see.
Aqua gallon - Loads in stock

No need to panic buy as only that silly activity will cause problems.

Same here but very very few customers, a few things are short in stock but mostly what old fashioned / fussy bule eaters like myself prefer
Very strict with hand zpray in and out security and staff all with gloves and face masks

A lot of places are doing IR thermometer, but not all. I've passed the local veggie man three days this week, and he's doing a great trade.
Local are skipping the markets in favour of guys like him.

Received my supermarket delivery this morning, 7 days after placing the order. It was missing most of the food items which means they'll refund me probably about 80% of the money I spent on the order. Anything fresh or cold which is actually available online when we placed the order was not there along with all the juices and tins of food too. Heard from some local friends that the same thing happened with them and they basically have given up. Wish I had hoarded a bit more earlier but then we didn't know it was going to be like this.

Tomorrow morning at 5.45am I'll be waiting for the main supermarket to open and can then buy things like salmon steaks, fruit juice, fresh veggies, shimeji mushrooms, minced beef and chicken breasts, cheddar cheese, Lurpak spreadable, and cans of nasi goreng paste, tinned foods and so on.

The latest news in the city of Bandung is that six shopping malls have all but closed due to attempts to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. These include some large ones like Paris Van Java, 23 Paskal and others. However, most of them are keeping open their supermarkets and pharmacies and a few other important stores.

I am glad to see these places taking more responsibility

Fred wrote:

A lot of places are doing IR thermometer, but not all. I've passed the local veggie man three days this week, and he's doing a great trade.

These ir thermometers are grossly inaccurate and practically useless.

tiganasfx wrote:
Fred wrote:

These ir thermometers are grossly inaccurate and practically useless.

Most operators I've seen with them fumble about in a clueless sort of way so, regardless of anything else, that makes them a waste of time.
However, they are handy PR for the places that use them.

Transmart.
Fully stocked
Hardly any customers
Some restaurants closed
No Rice krispies - End of the world

The main supermarket in our place changed it's opening hours from 6am to 7am. It was pretty packed this morning, everyone wearing masks and long queues of people with one or two full trolleys. The cashiers were wearing masks and gloves. Managed to buy all the things they didn't deliver the other day plus a lot more. Went to a Superindo supermarket after that and got 4 full shopping bags of foods, followed by a trip to Indomaret and then Alfamart. Spent about Rp3.5 million in total. Some was for my wife's charity for donation. She also managed to order hand sanitizer in bulk from a reputable manufacturer.

Well that was the biggie. Will not bother again with the home delivery service since they mostly will not deliver fresh food or vegetables or even tinned food due to the one week delivery time. Hope some of you guys are faring better in your own towns with delivery.

Now for some serious self isolating...

A lot of Indonesians and expats have serious doubts about the true number of people infected with Covid-19.  I don't know whether or not this will actually happen, but perhaps a lockdown is in order. So far, I believe there is still only self isolation with the authorities saying that they will not impose a lockdown. Yet still lots and lots of people are out and about.

I read these two news article and it is indeed worrying that Indonesia is probably completely unprepared. My concern is that there are people who think it will never get so bad, but I think we all need to be better prepared.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u … 5bada0c393[link under review]

What is also very worrying is that while countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand have basically closed their borders, Indonesia and especially Bali is still allowing flights in from many countries in Europe.

No country has been prepared, i will hold my hand up and admit i thought nothing about it at first, i dont think the great pretender over the pond helped "telling" gullible idiots it was a hoax, then many more idiots believing him and then saying how prepared they are, hmm just how well is that going?
The true number or even close to it wont ever be known, one thing i will put my head on the block about with, here will explode with cases "if" the truth is told, but i expect that around the 25th May onwards, imagine trying to restrict peoples movements at such a time, idiotic at best

You couldnt make this up if you tried, 🤔

https://www.thejakartapost.com/amp/news … ction.html

I was amused by a story about Mexicans protesting about Americans entering their country and demanding they be stopped at the border.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com … virus/amp/

This (now) American disease has brought us a bit of a laugh in some ways, however, the bright side for those of us in Indonesia is we've done reasonably well in that the only panic buying and shortage has been handwash and facemaks, and they're back in the shops now.
Saw loads of handwash today, then ignored it because hand washing with a good soap works better anyway.
I like Dettol antibacterial soap, but there are plenty of good choices out there, and all easily available.

Gwmeath wrote:

You couldnt make this up if you tried, 🤔

https://www.thejakartapost.com/amp/news … ction.html

Boris, the covid 19 PM of England and the other bits can take part if he's feeling well enough.
The leader of HM opposition probably wants to catch it in order to prove he can do what Boris can

If Boris cant get to Harley st im sure Harley street can go to boris, i wonder who his contact was for the test

My wife has been ordering online with Hypermart and it seems it worked very well. Unfortunately, I can only say "it seems" as I am stucked in France right now while she is in Bogor with our boy... And I have no idea when I will be able to get back home.
I do believe that numbers in Indonesia are particularly innacurate so far as they certainly are in every country affected since it also depends on the ability to test  the population.
Nearly every country has been caught by surprise and underestimated what was going on.
All I know, is that now I wish I could fly back to Indonesia and be home but I do understand the policies adopted by countries all over the world...

scotocs wrote:

My wife has been ordering online with Hypermart and it seems it worked very well. Unfortunately, I can only say "it seems" as I am stucked in France right now while she is in Bogor with our boy... And I have no idea when I will be able to get back home.
I do believe that numbers in Indonesia are particularly innacurate so far as they certainly are in every country affected since it also depends on the ability to test  the population.
Nearly every country has been caught by surprise and underestimated what was going on.
All I know, is that now I wish I could fly back to Indonesia and be home but I do understand the policies adopted by countries all over the world...

Online is easy so she is unlikely to have any problems, and go-food is operating normally at the moment except for restaurants that have closed.
Testing appears to be very limited so numbers here, as everywhere else, are unreliable, but most seem to be getting a mild form and recovering with no need for a doctor. The long and the short is, as long as they have cash for food, they're a lot more than likely to be safe and well when you get back.

Banking apps are really handy to use as you can top up go-pay and pay bills for online shopping with ease if you want to avoid the shops altogether. However, shops are all but empty of people so there's minimal risk if she needs essentials. Every place I've been has been fully stocked so no shortages worth a mention.

In my experience, online shopping for food is only easy in some locations, possibly most locations, but not in all locations as we have found out.. So I don;t think it's reasonable to make a generalized statement based on one's own specific town or city.

Soaps and hand wash and most items are easy to order online. Dry goods such as UHT milk, packets of crisps, instant noodles, cleaning products, rice, sugar etc also are easy to order online.

The problem for us is that fruit juices, butter, cheese, yogurts, minced beef, fresh fish, all fresh vegetables, frozen foods, ice cream and other fresh or cold items were cancelled from the order by the supermarket and we were refunded. That means that in our city we need to either stock up and store these items in our fridge/freezer or visit the supermarket whenever we need them.

Also, where we live, the supermarket chain hotline admits that they are struggling to cope with the huge number of orders.

So I think it would be incorrect to assume that shopping online is easy all over Indonesia. That would be making an assumption for the whole of Indonesia based on one's own town or area. So making sweeping statements about online shopping are clearly not very accurate.

Fortunately, after my big shopping spree yesterday we are well stocked up to last at least a month if not longer.

The thing about Indonesia is that many of the lower income people, and I means probably tens and tens of millions, do not even own a fridge, so the only way thay can buy fresh produce is from street carts (as we do for veggies, yakult etc) or visit the local wet market. The problem lies there in that they are not doing a good job of self-isolating and there risk either spreading or catching Covid-19 from others.

Irresponsible journalism, and damned lies, are making some people think panic buying is an issue here. It's utter rubbish.
I have personal experience of Jakarta and other parts of West Java, so can report from personal experience I have seen fully stocked shelves everywhere with (excepting hand wash, and that was back in stock yesterday) no shortages of anything much, but I have been unable to find any Rice krispies.

Here's a prime example of utter rubbish being sold as news

https://m.cnnindonesia.com/gaya-hidup/2 … nic-buying

https://akcdn.detik.net.id/visual/2020/02/08/f275870a-a571-4fd5-8eb6-af4f84bc31d7_169.jpeg?w=360&q=90

illustration: The outbreak of the corona outbreak in Indonesia has undeniably made some people panic buying. (Roslan RAHMAN / AFP)

Then you check the picture and find it' also used to "illustrate" panic buying in a few other countries.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/251340-f … -singaporehttps://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/316833https://www.theborneopost.com/2020/02/0 … rt-raised/

The truth for Semarang is here - and pretty much follows for everywhere I've been

https://m.cnnindonesia.com/ekonomi/2020 … han-pokok?

No problems, however, we have to be careful of internet trolls, silly rumours on WA, and rubbish in what is supposed to be the news media.

Ive just nipped out to work with some paperwork and handed to security, they is a large number of Army peronel moving around in vehicles, and when i say large i mean many hundreds, i pass 2 Malls and 2 trucks of army at each so roughly 40 ish at each Mall, so i presume either locally or nationally something is about to happen, airforce/ army chopper flying around also, police precence is large also, didnt realise we had so many, may just call into a Mall later to see if any procedures are in place

My account of what happened in my city when I ordered online from our local supermarket chain is truthful and I have the order form aswell as an email from the supermarket chain offering me a choice of a refund to my bank account or a store credit. I am happy to provide that to Expat.com Admin should they request it. I tihnk that anyone who makes up things during such a serious crisis as this pandemic is foolish.

For me, I don't believe that there is panic shopping yet in Indonesia, that is something that may or may not occur in the future. I haven't even seen it online, in the news or via WA. Certainly we see it in other countries though. My grown up children in Paris, France are certainly seeing it and I think I mentioned it in the France Forum in answer to Helene or Loic's thread, they are Admin here in this site. Actually no one else is talking about panic shopping.

In our city though, the supermarket shelves are not empty, totally agree with what you say. However, as I mentioned earlier, the supermarket did not deliver our complete order and the items that were not delivered are the fresh goods such as meat, vegetables and even some canned goods, fruit juice, snacks etc. They even didn't deliver the bars of Silverqueen chocolate that we ordered.

So I stand by what I say as I know what I ordered, what was delivered and I have the proof to show for it.

As for panic shopping, nobody is talking about it. I do not believe it is happening, but who knows what ill happen in the future as this pandemic gets worse over time. I honestly believe that Indonesia is still in it's early stages of the pandemic and things will worsen considerably so some preparation is definitely something I would recommend. And, my actual feelings that the deniers are as dangerous as those who say everything is fine. A balance of common sense and taking some precautions is all that is needed.

My advice to expats living in Indonesia is to make sure you have plenty of Aqua gallon bottles, UHT milk that can be stored for a long time, canned goods such as tuna, corned beef, sardines etc, rice, cheese, butter etc. For those who have a freezer, then I would recommend doing as I do which is to freeze some loaves of bread, freeze minced beef, fresh fish and buy a few packets of frozen veggies, chips etc.

Now what is important is to know that this is not panic shopping. This is in order to stock up so that we can properly self-isolate which means not having to go out to the supermarket or local minimarket store. That's is because every time you go out you stand the risk of catching the virus. You may see that supermarket cashiers are all wearing facial masks and wearing plastic gloves. You may also see that many places insist that you use hand sanitizer before entering a store. I saw that yesterday in a Superindo supermarket and also in a fruit store. But above all, since I am of that age where it gets dangerous and because I have young children, then I prefer to be cautious.

So while absolutely not recommending panic shopping, I do however recommend that you expats take some precautions but stocking up on important food items.

Please take care everyone and limit you time outside of your home, and hopefully we can all get through this safely.

Cheers

Gwmeath wrote:

Ive just nipped out to work with some paperwork and handed to security, they is a large number of Army peronel moving around in vehicles, and when i say large i mean many hundreds, i pass 2 Malls and 2 trucks of army at each so roughly 40 ish at each Mall, so i presume either locally or nationally something is about to happen, airforce/ army chopper flying around also, police precence is large also, didnt realise we had so many, may just call into a Mall later to see if any procedures are in place

I hope there is not going to be anything serious happening Gwmeath. I would just advise expats to make sure they have enough stock of essential things. If I receive any news over here of major steps being taken by the government or the military I will certainly give it a mention.

Gwmeath wrote:

Where is this?

Kepri Mall in Batam, just nipping to my usual in Nagoya will see if the same