Security/safety in Dhaka

Hello everyone!

My name is Jay and I am considering taking an expat assignment with a major energy company in Bangladesh.  My time in country would be split up between an office in Dhaka and also working in remote work settings at various north-east sites that are somewhat near the city of Sylhet.

I am excited about the potential of working in Bangladesh, but I had some questions to help me understand what it would be like, mostly around friendliness and security/safety.

I am a very open minded US based expat who has had work experience in Indonesia and elsewhere in the world.  I am open to meeting and befriending local people, and I am very comfortable in Islamic culture.

With that said, I have been made aware of issues surrounding political protests in Dhaka and also extremist violence targeted at foreign nationals.  I've read the reports and see the US State Department warnings. 

In actuality, can someone help me understand what it is actually like in country?  If one was to significantly limit their social presence in public in Dhaka and travel smartly elsewhere, would it be considered a safe place to work for a 40 year old man?  Is it safer because of learnings from the 2016 attacks, or has it just been lucky the last couple of years?  Also, what is the airport / customs situation like?

Thank you ahead of time for any input you might be able to share.

Jay

Hello Jay,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

A new topic has been launched with your post so as to give more visibility to your query.

I hope that our members have some feedback for you regarding safety issues in Dhaka.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Don't know about Dhaka, but I'm in Northern Bangladesh, and it's all calm and peaceful here. Embassy warnings to avoid political demonstrations are typical and sensible for most countries in this region.

Hello I  am Mohammed Mone I live in sylhet.if you need any kind of help please contact me thanks.

Hello sir, hope you are fine. With my due respect I like to say that your "US state department warning" is such a bullshit, nothing else. If you think that I say wrong then let's have cup of tea and arguments....hahaha.

Bangladeshi people are highly famous for your hospitality. So I believe your concept must be changed after you come here.

There are no worries about safety and security generally. But yes, you must be aware about the pandemic virus.

Feel free to say anything.

Have a good day.

Regards
Robin