Menu
Expat.com

I don't know where to go

Last activity 22 July 2020 by cccmedia

GloriousBit

I am currently studying (CS) and I'll have my degree in around 2 years. I would love to move to another country as soon as I have finished studying but I really don't know where. My favorites would be China, England, Brazil, Portugal.

Since I want to know the local language I already started to learn the basics of each of those languages but in the long term, I'll have to stick with one for obvious reasons. The problem is I don't know where to go. My #1 would be China but the crazy work ethic is frightening me sad.png

So, long story short... how did you choose which country you want to move to?

phipiemar

Hi,

As long as you keep Brazil as a party destination and not a place to settle, you can make your life without any problem in one of the three other countries on your list.

Texanbrazil

Not well paid in Brazil and many things to do to get a work card. Brazil hires Brazilian's first.
I would check England. No language problems.
Portuguese is rather difficult to learn and would need to enroll in a University to study Portuguese. Portugal speaks more English then Brazil.

Klaudia Auste eR

Croatia, just nice weather, very friendly people and quite easy language to learn. The other problem's quite high unemployment rate, so you have to chose the international corporation.

Travel_n_Hustle

I asked my friends about my top picks and went from there. Also researched and stuck with what felt right the most for me.

Khalida.UNC
GloriousBit wrote:

Destiny, fate, perhaps karma.

I chose the United States.  I am in Taiwan.

Life may be amused by our choices, but it finds its own path.

GuestPoster260520

Each one has to find their own path. But I hope you find as nice of a place as I have in Puerto Rico. I wish I found this place when I was younger. But this place is far from home and I would have never made it here if not for my crazy sister saying to me pack a bag we are going to Puerto Rico.  My response ?  OK!

lilykat69

Never regret not doing something when you were young ....for you as a person ....when you were young you were not ready....and now thanks to a great sister you are.

So enjoy the "now" .......never water it down with any form of regret ......as your past is your past and that was exactly how it was meant to be .

Travel_n_Hustle

^ That's true. Plus, what may be ideal for someone else won't be for you, so listen to what you really feel you'd like.

Texanbrazil

"My favorites would be China, England, Brazil, Portugal."

As mentioned before (and being on the Brazil forum) I would thinks of cost of living, politics (China very different than others mentioned), and salary.
You may want to stay in Europe. You should know more about such as well as visa issues and costs to even have a work permit.

GuestPoster260520

That's true.

porcelainqueen

I can relate. I'd like to live in quite a few countries such as Sweden, Germany and Singapore----just to name a few.

Willem de S
GloriousBit wrote:

This is how I choose (at the moment):
The place must be interesting, I must be able to save a decent portion of the salary, the place is clean, the place is safe, I must be able to walk down the street without the police stopping me for 'suspicious activity' or people mocking or pitying me for 'having' to walk.

What comes to the opening post, all of the places have their sides and sides. If forced to choose, I'd go with Portugal.

cccmedia
Willem de S wrote:

[T]he place is clean, the place is safe, I must be able to walk down the street without the police stopping me for 'suspicious activity' or people mocking or pitying me for 'having' to walk.

If forced to choose, I'd go with Portugal.

Since the place must be "safe," covid safety must be considered.  Covid safety trumps the possibility that someone might pity an Expat for having to walk somewhere.

Portugal has had about 1700 covid deaths .. whereas New Zealand has had 22 and the virus has been virtually eradicated there.

cccmedia

covid data courtesy of Worldometers website

RastaUhuru

Is Tanzania a good place if you have asthma?

beppi
RastaUhuru wrote:

Why don't you ask on the Tanzania forum?

cccmedia
RastaUhuru wrote:

Asthma, an obstructive lung disease, is a problem in all countries, according to a World Health Organization report.  Children are often especially prone to the disease.

In 2010, six of every thousand deaths in Tanzania were attributed to asthma.

Avoidance of various pollutants helps prevent asthma problems, with allergies responsible for many cases.  Such pollutants include cigaret smoke and industrial pollution, to name a couple.

Source... "Asthma, the silent killer in Rural Tanzania," an article published at The Citizen, an English-language newspaper in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles