Menu
Expat.com

Social Security payments and Temporary Resident Status

Last activity 03 February 2020 by THIGV

FloridaRefugee

Hello everyone...hopefully someone can answer this question please...If I apply for a Temporary Resident Status here in Vietnam, will I lose my Soc. Sec. benefits? My wife is Vietnamese and I have been living here for 10 years. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

OceanBeach92107
FloridaRefugee wrote:

Hello everyone...hopefully someone can answer this question please...If I apply for a Temporary Resident Status here in Vietnam, will I lose my Soc. Sec. benefits? My wife is Vietnamese and I have been living here for 10 years. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

IF you are a US citizen, you will NOT lose your benefits by establishing residency in Vietnam.

You might want to join the discussion in this sticky thread which contains pertinent links:

expat. com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761380

FloridaRefugee

Thank you for your courtesy and encouragement. I emailed SSI Admin. and am awaiting a response from them as well and will post response in relevant thread. Thanks again...positive waves are a good way to start out my day.

THIGV

Remember that non-citizens are allowed to collect US social security payments.  Their only added burden is that they can't let their green card expire but I think that is a 10 year cycle.

OceanBeach92107
THIGV wrote:

Remember that non-citizens are allowed to collect US social security payments.  Their only added burden is that they can't let their green card expire but I think that is a 10 year cycle.

*I think* you have a compulsion to troll my posts AND you are posting misleading information which will prove to be incorrect in some cases.

If the OP chooses to continue this discussion in the appropriate, well-established thread, and should he not be a U.S. citizen, he will find the correct information and link in the OP of the sticky thread I mentioned to him.

However, so that no one ends up being misinformed or misled as a result of your post here, I'll share that direct link to the SSA site:

US Social Security Payments Abroad Screening Tool

THIGV

How kind of you.  I stand corrected.  A Vietnamese citizen who holds a green card will have his/her payments end after 6 months away from the US.  The fact remains that if that person chose to go back and forth repeatedly he/she could keep up their payments.  Please note that I qualified my comment with the words "I think."  I never want to put my knowledge out as the gospel truth as I can very well be incorrect.

Just for the record I am not trolling your posts.  I am sorry to say that you seem a bit paranoid about that.  As far as I know your name is neither Mark, Mathew, Luke, or John.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles