Getting 2 weeks work experience in a restaurant

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I'm a private chef and I've come to Spain to get some work experience in restaurants but only for a period of 2-3 weeks.

I just saw that if I am a graduate, 6 months is the minimum time I can do under the “Contrato de Prácticas” rules.

I'm not looking to be paid. I just want to go in and work 5 days a week, for a few weeks, gain as much knowledge as I can and then leave. Is there anyway that this is achievable without breaking the rules?

I already have a restaurant in mind but they are struggling to come up with a solution. I really need a solution ASAP as if not, I will have to go back to the UK to find experience which won't be good considering I have just had my first child here in Spain! 6 days old today!

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Jake

Perhaps they can formally give you a 6 month "contracto de practicas" and you can informally let them know that you will voluntarily leave the post after a few weeks. They may be obliged to give you a minimum of 6 month contract, but you can always leave sooner I guess.

Hi Lola,

I did try to negotiate that but didn't work the way I had hoped. Thank you very much for the advice though. I will have a look for another restaurant elsewhere who isn't as strict.