Getting post in Hungary

Hey all, I think I could find some help here.

I have a situation. An e-shop I want to order from doesn't deliver to my country - Slovakia. But it does to Hungary. So I was wondering if it'd be possible to order a package to the closest Hungarian post office to my city and go get it there as I live close by the border.

Here in Slovakia, I can just input a post office address as a delivery address and it will get delivered there and will stay there for some 18 days or so until they send it back. I can come whenever in between, present my ID and pick up the delivery. Does it work the same in Hungary? Are there some things I should think about?

Thanks for the answers.

Stan

What you are describing is post restante or postán maradó.

Used it once in HU myself but it should work and you definitely need ID.

You can find the options here (in English):

HU Post Restante (and options)

If you want to do a lot of it, you might find it better to get a PO Box.

BTW, another thought, there are probably serviced offices in some border towns - you might be able to have it delivered there for a fee.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Do I have to register for that MyPost service tho? While trying to do it, I encountered a problem when I can't put in my whole phone number, because it expects 12 characters (+36...) and my number is 13 characters (+421...).

Would it be possible to just get the package delivered and pick it up in a day or two after the delivery?

stan_ wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply.

Do I have to register for that MyPost service tho? While trying to do it, I encountered a problem when I can't put in my whole phone number, because it expects 12 characters (+36...) and my number is 13 characters (+421...).

Would it be possible to just get the package delivered and pick it up in a day or two after the delivery?

No idea on any of that.  I only know it exists.  I used it once and I just went to a large PO to pick it up.  This was way before we had mobile Internet/Smartphones. I've used it in other countries and it worked just fine without any messing about registering.

Ordering to a post office works only if they can send it with the Hungarian Post, or their "MPL" service, but whether you could pick it up without a hungarian residency card, that's another question. You can inquire at their web site: https://www.posta.hu/international_main Did you ask the seller if he could make an exception and send it to you directly?

I contacted the customer support of Posta and they replied that it's possible to get the package delivered poste restante and that the package will be held at the post office for 10 days until they send it back.

So once again, thank you for all your helpful replies and have a nice day!

stan_ wrote:

I contacted the customer support of Posta and they replied that it's possible to get the package delivered poste restante and that the package will be held at the post office for 10 days until they send it back.

So once again, thank you for all your helpful replies and have a nice day!

Very good.

Please let us all know if it works out. 

Would be useful to share so others know it worked out (or not).

Yeah, I'll update you all when it hopefully gets delivered.

This was an interesting and informative thread.  :one:cheers: