COVID-19: Not allowed back in your home country?

Hello everyone,

We are looking for testimonies of persons who are blocked abroad and not being allowed into their home country.

If you have any friends or family facing this situation or if you would like to share your own experience, please get in touch with me.

Thanks in advance.

Veedushi
Expat.com Team

I am stuck in Dominican Republic  The airline Tui Belgium is not interested other than to give you a voucher for another of their flights.  We see no prospect of leaving the country in the near future.

Ducketts

I wonder how many people will continue to fail to understand the meaning of the word "containment".  I am in Ghana for work while my wife and children are in Belgium.  Do I want to go back, YES.  Will i do it?  NO.  Why ?  Simply because I don't want to take the risk of being contaminated at the departure airport, then on the plane and then at the arrival airport.  And it's the same risk for my family if they wanted to join me.  Be responsible and stop wanting to take the risk of spreading for sentimental reasons.

I agree with the gentleman working in  Ghana.
I am an expat in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, also due to go back to the U.K. in April.
I would also like to go home, but to play safe and not run the risk of catching the virus, then infecting others back home, I will stay put in Saudi, until it's safe to make travel arrangements.
Perhaps more people should consider others first and not themselves at this critical time.

Hello Phipiemar and Jessica,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm sending you a private message.

Warm regards,
Veedushi

We have Indonesian tenants here in Germany, a family with two small kids, who were scheduled to return to their country last week. It was all cancelled with only a few days notice - and now they have to stay here for at least three more months - on packed bags.
I had to, on equally short notice, cancel the planned renovation of the apartment after their departure.
A more heartless landlord could have avoided this complication by kicking them out of the (already terminated) rental contract - and would thus be on the legally correct side (especially given that they told me they don't have money left for the rent, after losing the paid flight tickets and having to buy them again). But I will not do that!

On point Sir!

I could easily go back to my home country at any time.  Having been exposed to infected patients, I will not.  It is far better to stay where I am.  The travel restrictions throughout the world are not there for our inconvenience.

Meet expats all over the world

OR