Menu
Expat.com

Feeling sad :(

Last activity 28 July 2011 by GuestPoster16700

emiliausa

Hi....I moved to the USA with my husband earlier this year and am struggling to cope sad.png

I had a good job in England which I gave up (happily) so that I could move to the USA with my husband as his company was transferring him. We have been together for 7 years and married for one (we don't have children)

I have applied for jobs here but no luck so far, I think maybe not being from the USA counts against me and its also still a difficult job market, but I am still trying.

I just feel so miserable and lonely. I feel like my husband is the lucky one as he is doing the same job as he did back home, he has opportunities to go out with work colleagues/friends all the time for lunch / drinks after work etc (he is going out 4 nights out of 7 this week).

I don't have any friends here and am quite shy so feel very alone. It is difficult for my husband to understand how I feel and I feel guilty about not being excited about this 'adventure' we are having of moving abroad / living in a new country.

I just feel my job is now to cook, clean, iron his work shirts etc which doesn't make me happy. I have tried talking to him and he says that he will support me but then I feel under pressure from him to find work, although we are not stuggling for money.

I don't really know what I am asking, but I just feel so upset and don't feel like I have anyone to turn to. I feel like my friends and family back home are getting on with their lives and I am stuck here in an unhappy situation sad.png

mun neko

Hi, Emi.
I read your blog today. you are so lonely in your life of our society.
I think i am younger than you, not full to share your sorrow, but may be we can talk to begin step by step.
would you like to share with me?
I wish your life will be opened:D
Best wished for you.

Harmonie

Hello emiliausa and welcome to Expat.com!

Don't worry, I am sure that you will have a lot of nice contacts here.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

globetrotter

Hi, now that I have become a mother I am too busy to be gloomy, but I was in the exact same situation as you are about 6 years ago.

You have to remind yourself of one thing: you have to create your own happiness.
If you love your husband and want to share his life you will have to find a way to fill your days. I did my grocery shopping every morning. I like to read so I joined the library. I went for a walk almost every day. I blog. In short: I tried to put my sorrows aside and accept my situation.

If you continue like this you will isolate yourself and create problems in your relationship. Look for other English people in your area and if you are to shy to meet them face to face use the internet. But be careful not to stay behind your computer the whole day. The real world is still outside!

Feel free to turn to me for support. I understand.

mlazarre

Hi...I feel for you. Loneliness after a  move can be very difficult. I went through something similar when I moved from the north of the US to the south. Believe me, it was still a culture shock. What I have come to realize is that transplanted women have a harder time adjusting because we are relational, sensitive beings. I will share with you what got me out of my rut:
  - decide for yourself whether you are staying or leaving; if leaving is not an option, then you have to do your best to adjust
  - your husband, as much as he wants to, will not be much help; men get satisfaction from their work and cannot fathom what you are talking about or feeling
  - try as hard as you can to make new friends; study the culture you are living in so as not to be insensitive when dealing with your new friends
  - get involved; if you can't get a job, volunteer...it's a good way to meet people and get a feel for your community
  - get physical (exercise), get a hobby

I hope this helps. For me, healing began when I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and do something...it worked!

Mlazarre

catherinedeusa

Hi Emiliausa,

Where are you in the U.S.?  I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  If you're in the L.A. area, may be we could hang out to rid your blues?

Catherine

GuestPoster16700

I greet you emiliausa!

I  have no husband, but had attitude with man, so...
Think of that,try find a job,I know,you do,and move in this direction,but.
Don't leave your attempts,not because of somebody,cause of you,try further,look, and seek,try to find it-like you are in the dessert,and you are,THIS IS YOU ARE THIRSTY,not your husband,mother or friends,think of you,think about yourself,o'k?
Then, you are with the man you loved,this is happiness,does he don't take you with himself to the co-workers parties,try to speak at this theme, I think,you should be together with him,to know the curcle of his friends,colleagues,sincere,and of course,try to read man's magazines,many interesting things are written about mans,this is another world,different than we ,women,and you will find new news about mens,I am sure!"Men's Health"-one of the men's magazines, and sex,is always interested theme as of women as well mens ,gp to the countryside market-have a look,what you WANT TO EAT-that you would put all into yourself,with delicia on spanish-mean  enjoy,with enjoy. And music,put all love music,  listen to them, and love with your husband,YOU MET HIM AT LAST! Take a bath,then enjoy with a good,menthol -fresh or fruit-fresh gel for shower,make yourself happy! You must be happy in this world, and only YOU needed to do this,bring yourself-fresh breath,if you are beside ocean,forgive me,I didn't look, at the place you are living now,go at the shores,listen to the thundering of the breakers,I am sure life will come into your life... If I said something you don't like ,and you are angry with me,forgive me please...

Have a great day,
at your side of the planet you only,wake up,
cheers, all is excelent,o'k?
mery.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles