Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

The day you posted your last screen grab i started walking
So far ive done:-
& 9274 so far today
It started with me then GF joined in then one boy then the other so now there is 4 of us doing it, still cant get the 14 year old out bed before 10am but hey its a start lol

It's great that you turned the walk into a family activity.  Does it stop the boys from annoying one another?

My step count increases almost every day, but I give my legs two days off each week during which time I concentrated on sit-up and push-up only.  Don't want to burn out, that's why.

unnamed.png

Erikji

An article about "tourists" who have been stuck in Vietnam (for 1,5 year already):
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/str … 39108.html

Poor tourists, it's so sad for them  sad.png

paulmsn
Erikji wrote:

An article about "tourists" who have been stuck in Vietnam (for 1,5 year already):
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/str … 39108.html

You seem to be working the sarcasm here.  Is that the case?

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

The day you posted your last screen grab i started walking
So far ive done:-
& 9274 so far today
It started with me then GF joined in then one boy then the other so now there is 4 of us doing it, still cant get the 14 year old out bed before 10am but hey its a start lol

It's great that you turned the walk into a family activity.  Does it stop the boys from annoying one another?

My step count increases almost every day, but I give my legs two days off each week during which time I concentrated on sit-up and push-up only.  Don't want to burn out, that's why.

https://i.postimg.cc/VdWDfG3G/unnamed.png

Does it stop the boys from annoying one another? HELL NO!

paulmsn

The liaison in my building gave me a form to fill out for the second vaccine.  She told me it would be eight weeks after the first.  I told her that eight weeks after the first one I would already be in the US, but she had me fill it out anyway.  She was doubtful, but seems to think there might be a chance of getting it early, although with the language barrier I couldn't be sure exactly what she meant.  My friend will call her to find out.

Erikji
paulmsn wrote:
Erikji wrote:

Yes because for me the word "tourists" for foreigners here for two years still makes me laugh.
And even more so when a German or a French says that he is stuck here, that there are no flights to leave, that the borders are closed. It's totally false.
The reality is that they want to stay here.
Also, I can't understand when an expat lived here many months, working, didn't make saving to keep enough to buy a plane ticket in case there is a problem. If they can't keep $1000 on their bank account, and prefer spend their money at the bars or with girls, they are responsible to be stuck.

paulmsn
Erikji wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
Erikji wrote:

Yes because for me the word "tourists" for foreigners here for two years still makes me laugh.
And even more so when a German or a French says that he is stuck here, that there are no flights to leave, that the borders are closed. It's totally false.
Also, I can't understand when an expat lived here many months, working, didn't make saving to keep enough to buy a plane ticket in case there is a problem. If they can't keep $1000 on their bank account, and prefer spend their money at the bars or with girls, they are responsible to be stuck.

That's quite a judgmental post.  What exactly is morally wrong with wanting to stay in a country, and why must everyone be exactly as financially prudent as you are?  Most people in the world aren't so careful that they can easily endure the effects of a pandemic.  I don't know about other countries, but in the US, the median bank account balance is $5,300 -- that won't last long if disaster strikes.

The truth is, you don't actually know the financial conditions of any of these people -- you simply made up assumptions -- so you really cannot pass judgement.  In most places, people can rely on family, friends and community to help them out.  Here, these people may only have community.  Fortunately, the community here is not so judgmental.

goodolboy
Erikji wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
Erikji wrote:

I agree, always have a plan B & enough for a 1 way ticket out of where ever you are before you even get to where you are going. I suspect (my opinion only no proof) that most of these ex pats are travelling Bums! who dont have the brains to even have a plan B & are lucky to be "stuck" in a country where the Vietnamese people have "good hearts" & have pity for them without questioning why they are in the supposed dire situation they are in.

paulmsn

The expats interviewed don't seem to be bums, and even plan Bs can go awry.

Yes, people should plan ahead carefully, but the truth is that many people don't, maybe the majority, and some don't have the resources to be able to.  People who are living paycheck to paycheck simply don't have the luxury.  Have some sympathy and be glad you haven't been affected.

Also, I noticed that prices for repatriation flights back to the US were over $1000, so having $500 saved for a trip home wouldn't have cut it.

THIGV
paulmsn wrote:

She was doubtful, but seems to think there might be a chance of getting it early.....

Even if you can take the second shot early, you really don't want to.  The time between shots is based on medical data and designed to maximize efficacy.  Now, in the US, you can be vaccinated on a walk in basis at places like Wallgreen's and CVS so if you do return it should not be hard to stay on schedule.

dionstravels

they can save more money now that there's been a lockdown for so long 😂😂😂⚰️

goodolboy
paulmsn wrote:

The expats interviewed don't seem to be bums, and even plan Bs can go awry.

Yes, people should plan ahead carefully, but the truth is that many people don't, maybe the majority, and some don't have the resources to be able to.  People who are living paycheck to paycheck simply don't have the luxury.  Have some sympathy and be glad you haven't been affected.

Also, I noticed that prices for repatriation flights back to the US were over $1000, so having $500 saved for a trip home wouldn't have cut it.

If you dont have the resources...............living from pay cheque to pay cheque..............dont travel.......simple

goodolboy
THIGV wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

She was doubtful, but seems to think there might be a chance of getting it early.....

Even if you can take the second shot early, you really don't want to.  The time between shots is based on medical data and designed to maximize efficacy.  Now, in the US, you can be vaccinated on a walk in basis at places like Wallgreen's and CVS so if you do return it should not be hard to stay on schedule.

From what I hear & read....................having the second shot early you might as well just have one.

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Erikji wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

I agree, always have a plan B & enough for a 1 way ticket out of where ever you are before you even get to where you are going. I suspect (my opinion only no proof) that most of these ex pats are travelling Bums! who dont have the brains to even have a plan B & are lucky to be "stuck" in a country where the Vietnamese people have "good hearts" & have pity for them without questioning why they are in the supposed dire situation they are in.

I think Erikji was pointing out that they were labeled as "tourists" when in fact some were teaching english which is working and normally requires a work visa which many people have through the school they work for.

Working and then saying your just a tourist is not the whole truth, they came on a tourist visa stayed and made money teaching which he was correctly pointing out.

Maybe some kind of thread or link to help any of those in need could be set up and donations of essentials somehow be shipped to them?

Anyone have any contacts to the news media outlet to contact them?

goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Erikji wrote:

I think Erikji was pointing out that they were labeled as "tourists" when in fact some were teaching english which is working and normally requires a work visa which many people have through the school they work for.

Working and then saying your just a tourist is not the whole truth, they came on a tourist visa stayed and made money teaching which he was correctly pointing out.

Maybe some kind of thread or link to help any of those in need could be set up and donations of essentials somehow be shipped to them?

Well at up to 25usd an hour teaching English with pretty dubious credentials & dubious spoken English  they certainly should have been able to save a few bob. I wonder what they did with it all?

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Well at up to 25usd an hour teaching English with pretty dubious credentials & dubious spoken English  they certainly should have been able to save a few bob. I wonder what they did with it all?

25usd/hr ok where do I sign up?
With a GF and 3 kids - FOOD

paulmsn
THIGV wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

The labeled dosing interval for AstraZeneca is 4-12 weeks, while WHO recommends 8-12  weeks.  I read somewhere that the UK mandates 12 weeks.  The efficacy rises with a longer interval between shots, but two doses six weeks apart before I travel is still better than one dose, since that only provides 33% protection against Delta. 

I can always get an mRNA vaccine once I get to the US (no AstraZeneca available), which will then act as a booster.  It is uncertain whether the authorities here will bend their rules for me, though.

I really do want to.

paulmsn
goodolboy wrote:

If you dont have the resources...............living from pay cheque to pay cheque..............dont travel.......simple

I'd call that simplistic.  You don't have a clue as to their situation when they arrived here.

paulmsn
goodolboy wrote:

How long ago were they making money?  A few bob won't likely last for over a year.  And please don't claim they should have left a year ago -- no one knew it would last this long.

You are making up your own picture as to their abilities just to bolster your position.  You don't know anything about them other than that they are in dire straits today.  I am sympathetic to that.

Erikji

Hot news: HCMC to ban people from going out starting August 23
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hcmc- … 43577.html

goodolboy
paulmsn wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

How long ago were they making money?  A few bob won't likely last for over a year.  And please don't claim they should have left a year ago -- no one knew it would last this long.

You are making up your own picture as to their abilities just to bolster your position.  You don't know anything about them other than that they are in dire straits today.  I am sympathetic to that.

You dont know them from Adam either or are you speaking from your own experience & are actually one of them?
As for bolstering my own position, well I have more than enough money to cover my position though hard work without having to gain anything from any comment I make on these down & out bums. I am embarrassed to be an ex pat when I see them groveling & asking for charity. There are a lot worse poor  out of work Vietnamese these days without contributing one Dong to them.

goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Wize up min, you'r one of em wot cant speek & right proper Englis anyways, your a Ozie, best u cn look fir is 10usd

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Even with that hourly rate you wouldn't survive.. I tried it briefly last year and it's easily the worst working experience of my life. I cannot believe a friend talk me into to help out where they worked

goodolboy
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Even with that hourly rate you wouldn't survive.. I tried it briefly last year and it's easily the worst working experience of my life. I cannot believe a friend talk me into to help out where they worked

lol.png well you live & learn, just put it down to experience, not for me either but from what I have heard not much teaching actually goes on, just bums on seats! Perhaps you can enlighten us on your experiences.

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

lol.png well you live & learn, just put it down to experience, not for me either but from what I have heard not much teaching actually goes on, just bums on seats! Perhaps you can enlighten us on your experiences.

Bums on seats would have be a good result, but the two centers I went to had very little in the way of facilities.

What I would call primary level out in D2 was the better of the two. But classes are made up of different levels of ability, one or two very bright students and the rest a mix of cannot be bothered or no English at all. Hit sweaty classrooms with no Aircon, just desks and a blackboard. Course material was English sourced (Oxford press) but extremely boring at best. A 35 minute lesson would use just one page of the books issued.. one book family and friends level 4 teaches kids who have little language skills about the Mayans... Not relevent but simple text. However it's all listen and repeat with maybe 40 words on a page. No wonder the kids get bored. At this point it's worth pointing out instead of 'they are" the school teaches they're when the students cannot tell between there, their and they're

Second center offer in Tan Phu, secondary level had even less ability that the previous one.. bit of ashame.becusse they are at the age where distractions are easier to come by. Out of a class of 40 students maybe half a dozen have the required text book. Scholl doesn't have s photocopier so cannot produce temporary materials for any given lesson

I accept the schools and centers are budget, limited and pay outside language centers for the materials and staff. But the one I worked for briefly was a sham. Their website was very badly written, and claimed to be affiliated with Sheffield University - which after I called it quits I checked and they're telling porkies.

Do native English teachers deserve the 25USD salary some claim.. yes and no. In a bad teaching environment they can make all the difference, but often it's the materials or lack of that presents the bigger challenge. 

Walk into most lesson environments here and within 5 minutes of being asked you name at least one person will come up with "play game" because that's how many if the previous teachers occupy them for 35 mins .. try playing a ge.thay involves learning too.. you have a fight in your hands.

One of the classes I saw in a few occassions was a little easier to coerce. A bag full of Scrabble tiles and each student picked one a random.. if we were talking about food that day had to name s food begining with the chosen letter, anyone stick with Q or Z.. if they tried and have an answer got s piece of candy... Trying is better than doing nothing  at all.

I put it done to an experience, and gave me insight into how the system work's, and for a few weeks it was a way to earn money and fill up my spare time. As a career, it's not for me.

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Wize up min, you'r one of em wot cant speek & right proper Englis anyways, your a Ozie, best u cn look fir is 10usd

If that was pointed at me,,,,, i was born in Lincoln England, spent 31 years there before moving to Australia,,, I can speak English just fine, in fact maybe a little better than our dress wearing brothers up there in Scotland  big_smile.pnglol.png

AndyHCMC
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

If that was pointed at me,,,,, i was born in Lincoln England, spent 31 years there before moving to Australia,,, I can speak English just fine, in fact maybe a little better than our dress wearing brothers up there in Scotland  big_smile.pnglol.png

If not pointed at me then the dress wearing part is still funny  cool.png

MarkinNam

Why oh why are people so short sighted as NOT to plan for misadventure ? surely life taught them something before taking the plunge and traveling the world !. I have an acquaintance there in similar circumstance where she keeps on hocking her passport because she can't control her desire to spend money. I can see why people end up indentured to others. I can understand the Vietnamese thinking where by the southern people lost everything after occupation, but come on,

paulmsn
goodolboy wrote:

You dont know them from Adam either or are you speaking from your own experience & are actually one of them?
As for bolstering my own position, well I have more than enough money to cover my position though hard work without having to gain anything from any comment I make on these down & out bums. I am embarrassed to be an ex pat when I see them groveling & asking for charity. There are a lot worse poor  out of work Vietnamese these days without contributing one Dong to them.

I didn't call them bums or ascribe any other characteristics to them like you did, other than being indigent, which was the trust of the articles.  That attack fails badly.

By your position, I meant the argument that you were making, not how much money you have.  Odd that you assumed that I was talking about wealth. 

Nor did they grovel -- care groups came to them with food and money and they accepted.  Why you find that personally embarrassing is beyond me.  You can always claim there are people worse off, but that's not a logical argument against helping them or anyone else.  So rationalize away your uncaring and disparaging attitude if you wish, but you're looking really bad.

Guest2023

If people cant survive on 25 an hour, they need to take a good look at their lifestyle. Many of these people eat and drink every day in overpriced western style cafes and bars. They live in trendy apartments close to D1 so as to be close to the bars and nightclubs.100- hours per month = $2500 a month, about 60 million a month, if they cant survive on that, then there are serious problems.

Erikji

Panic in Saigon now, everybody goes to supermarkets.
"Prime Minister: The army is in charge of providing food for the people of Ho Chi Minh City"

goodolboy
colinoscapee wrote:

If people cant survive on 25 an hour, they need to take a good look at their lifestyle. Many of these people eat and drink every day in overpriced western style cafes and bars. They live in trendy apartments close to D1 so as to be close to the bars and nightclubs.100- hours per month = $2500 a month, about 60 million a month, if they cant survive on that, then there are serious problems.

exactly, blow the lot, live for the day & when the crap hits the fan........oh poor me, look how bad my life is now, I am living off the charity of the Vietnamese people, oh thank you for taking care of me during my difficult time. Bet when they were coining it in they never gave a s**t for the same Vietnamese who out of the kindness of their hearts now bring them food & suspend their rents.

goodolboy
paulmsn wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I didn't call them bums or ascribe any other characteristics to them like you did, other than being indigent, which was the trust of the articles.  That attack fails badly.

By your position, I meant the argument that you were making, not how much money you have.  Odd that you assumed that I was talking about wealth. 

Nor did they grovel -- care groups came to them with food and money and they accepted.  Why you find that personally embarrassing is beyond me.  You can always claim there are people worse off, but that's not a logical argument against helping them or anyone else.  So rationalize away your uncaring and disparaging attitude if you wish, but you're looking really bad.

Funny you should say that its making me look bad, seems to me there are a lot more on here that have a similar attitude about these people & not many with your do goodie posts. It seems to me you have a bias towards their situation which makes me believe you are actually one of them & looking for sympathy.

AndyHCMC
colinoscapee wrote:

I agree on the lifestyle part, I knew a couple who made 60mill  and was always going to western style food and drink places when they could buy the same beer for 18k, they moved into an expensive apartment and spent big time, they came to one of he cheapest places in asia spent the same as back home.

Their outlook was hey its so cheap why not live way better than we can back home.

For those who have spare cash or goods to share, please set up a thread where people can go to get help and information & where to send money or items to those in need.

I have spare rice and noodles that I can donate if someone is willing to set up the pick-up and delivery logistics side which I know nothing about in HCMC.

Its far better to help than "be offended on someone elses behalf".

AndyHCMC
Erikji wrote:

"Prime Minister: The army is in charge of providing food for the people of Ho Chi Minh City"

We went out this morning to go supermarket, traffic was 10 x what it was last time we went, bikes and people everywhere, frantic messages from friends and relatives asking if we have food to last us.

Definatly a different sound in their voice when they contact us, my GF sister contacted us in tears did not have work and can not go get food now, could we save food scraps for her!  we went straight out and met her at checkpoint with supplies and cash, she was a total wreck as we handed the supplies over, so was my GF on the drive back at the thought of her sister eating food scraps.

goodolboy

One of our many free food for poor people groups inside Celadon City. Every day they they have police clearance to go out to work work work deliver to the Vietnamese families round here. I am so proud of them. Never make a huge deal about it, never tell everyone how much money they are spending on it. Just good people doing their bit, like the Vietnamese do.

our-help-group.png

our-help-group-2.png

our-help-group-3.png

paulmsn
Erikji wrote:

I went, and it wasn't too busy -- maybe 15-20 people waiting at the grocery stores.  I couldn't find everything, but I have enough to eat for a week or two.

Ciambella
paulmsn wrote:

One more time, and this is the last time:   

I've allowed heated arguments started by you even when they're not part of the conversation, but I'll not tolerate the insults you fling at other members.  Even children at playground are taught to play nice and not calling other children names.

I strongly suggest that you start to think twice and reread what you type before hitting "Send".

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

One of our many free food for poor people groups inside Celadon City. Every day they they have police clearance to go out to work work work deliver to the Vietnamese families round here. I am so proud of them. Never make a huge deal about it, never tell everyone how much money they are spending on it. Just good people doing their bit, like the Vietnamese do.

https://i.postimg.cc/t1CZbPBG/our-help-group.png

https://i.postimg.cc/KRxmCb9d/our-help-group-2.png

https://i.postimg.cc/7GqydM9S/our-help-group-3.png

After learning about sister GF said what about volunteering, not sure if 1 AZ shot would cover us much if we went out delivering around the city.
Would certainly give us something to do each day and get out the house though.
I wonder how much protection the blue all in ones and a face shield give?

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:

Well said.. despite what we have ALL said about the police previously and overlooking minor indiscretions they are out there doing an amazing job.

This time last year it was nowhere near as bad as things are now, I had to visit the locals station to get a letter signed for my TRC and witnessed the police first hand gathering, sorting and allocating food parcels to the proper residents... A very humbling experience

https://i.postimg.cc/t1CZbPBG/our-help-group.png

https://i.postimg.cc/KRxmCb9d/our-help-group-2.png

https://i.postimg.cc/7GqydM9S/our-help-group-3.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles