Menu
Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

goodolboy
Erikji wrote:

Read the link, even the officials seached the list. The zones green/yellow/orange/red have NOT YET be defined. Just some green zone recently, it has not been done for all the city, for example the yellow color.

Ciambella wrote:

Based on your posts, it seems that you enjoy criticizing Vietnamese authority at every opportunity..

I notice you don't accept the freedom of expression. I bring sourced information and debate. No insults, respect. I've been living in vietnam for a lot longer than you.
Probably you report my posts in order to be deleted for "omg, politic!!!"

Some friends on our Zalo Celadon City support group sent me this & explained what it means

color-codes.png

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Erikji wrote:

Read the link, even the officials seached the list. The zones green/yellow/orange/red have NOT YET be defined. Just some green zone recently, it has not been done for all the city, for example the yellow color.

Ciambella wrote:

Based on your posts, it seems that you enjoy criticizing Vietnamese authority at every opportunity..

I notice you don't accept the freedom of expression. I bring sourced information and debate. No insults, respect. I've been living in vietnam for a lot longer than you.

Some friends on our Zalo Celadon City support group sent me this & explained what it means

https://i.postimg.cc/ZWCsMd0Y/color-codes.png

Yep we have same for Phu Nhuan which was what I was commenting on and the example I talked about sending you,,, I see you found it.

The information about zones is out there if you know where to find it from your local peoples committee or facebook.

Hey GOB could you do your magic and post the one for phu nhuan I sent you seeing i'm useless at posting images please.

AndyHCMC
Erikji wrote:

Ciambella wrote:

I've had my fair share of posts deleted or under review but if you have been here on expat for any length of time you know Ciambella is huge wealth of knowledge about most thing Viet and only steps in when people get off topic, political or forum will get into trouble by talking anti - VN or Gov stuff.

She is Viet and has her hands full keeping us lot inline trying not to get the forum in deep poo with any comments against gov etc,,,

The information your talking about my VN GF found on our local facebook group which she is a member of as are most locals so they have much more info than us expats, if you go to facebook and search for Tôi là dân then put your district in you will get all the local info, which is in viet

Most of it does not translate with google translate for some reason on my computer so my GF tells me what it's about and I post it on the site for people trying to find info.

Thats maybe why why the sites you are looking at dont have the local peoples committe info on it being  a news media news site not specific to your ward.

I never find the stuff my GF finds as she is on 5 times more news sites than I am, is saigon born and gets messages and calls from people about latest posts about everything going on.

Lock down has every on on edge at at the end of their tempers - be great if we could all invite people around and have a party and relax but,,,, we cant so we go on here and spit at each other,,,

I for one am so looking forward to jumping on my bike taking a ride to Vung Tau and forgetting about all this covid stuff, whenever that might be.

The latest news and SMS is no dont go out it was a wrong post by media saying we could go out.....

Will be an interesting 2 weeks,, glad we have heaps of popcorn to make for watching movies if we can find any we havnt seen yet sad.png

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

Will be an interesting 2 weeks,, glad we have heaps of popcorn to make for watching movies if we can find any we havnt seen yet sad.png

My husband has been watching the same movies dozens of time due to the lack of new materials.  Just in the last 21 days of this month, he has watched Battleship (Liam Neeson) 5 times already.  I have a digital library of 70 movies (none of them he has seen), but he refuses to watch them on the laptop.

Jlgarbutt
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

My husband has been watching the same movies dozens of time due to the lack of new materials.  Just in the last 21 days of this month, he has watched Battleship (Liam Neeson) 5 times already.  I have a digital library of 70 movies (none of them he has seen), but he refuses to watch them on the laptop.

So copy them to USB and plug in the back of teh TV to watch them.. all TVs from the last 8-10 teams years can do this

I often do the same or find old TV series to wath. House MD season 1-5 is great viewing during covid

goodolboy
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

My favourite is ...Sink The Bismark & the series Winds of War..........................do you ever watch the series Escape To The Chateau you would like it I think.

goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Erikji wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZWCsMd0Y/color-codes.png

Yep we have same for Phu Nhuan which was what I was commenting on and the example I talked about sending you,,, I see you found it.

The information about zones is out there if you know where to find it from your local peoples committee or facebook.

Hey GOB could you do your magic and post the one for phu nhuan I sent you seeing i'm useless at posting images please.

lock-down-listist.png

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

If he likes movies about Ships try watching "The Last Ship" - its a series about (wait for it) a virus and they have to find the answer,,, it only had 3 seasons but was a great watch if he is into military type movies.

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

If he likes movies about Ships try watching "The Last Ship" - its a series about (wait for it) a virus and they have to find the answer,,, it only had 3 seasons but was a great watch if he is into military type movies.

That sounds like something he would like. Thank you.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

That sounds like something he would like. Thank you.

There was 5 seasons,, not 3.
Another good series is "The Rookie" stars Nathan Fillion of "Firefly" & "Castle" it's about a middle aged guy quiting his job and joining the Police Force,,, well written and worth a look.

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

So copy them to USB and plug in the back of teh TV to watch them.. all TVs from the last 8-10 teams years can do this

I often do the same or find old TV series to wath. House MD season 1-5 is great viewing during covid

My GF has been watching all 10 series of "The Walking Dead" just what we need in the middle of covid - a Zombie movie....

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

Another good series is "The Rookie" stars Nathan Fillion of "Firefly" & "Castle" it's about a middle aged guy quiting his job and joining the Police Force,,, well written and worth a look.

He said he has watched a couple episodes of The Last Ship and really likes it, so I'm going to find all  5 seasons for him.  He also watched a few episodes of The Rookie but doesn't like police show.   
I just put Edge of Tomorrow (sci fi with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt) on a USB (thanks, Jlgarbutt - completely skipped my mind about the USB) and it's now running on the TV.  Let's see if he likes it.

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

My GF has been watching all 10 series of "The Walking Dead" just what we need in the middle of covid - a Zombie movie....

lol.png

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

My favourite is ...Sink The Bismark & the series Winds of War..........................do you ever watch the series Escape To The Chateau you would like it I think.

Bismarck is a good one..
More recent take on take USS Indianapolis men of mercy .

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

He said he has watched a couple episodes of The Last Ship and really likes it, so I'm going to find all  5 seasons for him.  He also watched a few episodes of The Rookie but doesn't like police show.   
I just put Edge of Tomorrow (sci fi with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt) on a USB (thanks, Jlgarbutt - completely skipped my mind about the USB) and it's now running on the TV.  Let's see if he likes it.

Ok after EOT get Oblivion another great Tom Cruise movie, Elysium & The Martian is Matt Daemon, PacificRim 1 & 2 that should keep him busy for a week lol

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Ok after EOT get Oblivion another great Tom Cruise movie, Elysium & The Martian is Matt Daemon, PacificRim 1 & 2 that should keep him busy for a week lol

Could always download the walking dead.. awesome zombie series.. bit gorey in places but a great time killer too

Easy to get downloads of movies anyway wanting some help let me know

AndyHCMC

Army In HCMC full lockdown and some muppet is sat out in the street with no mask getting his hair cut by the local barber who has no mask and drives around the ward doing haircuts, with yesterdays numbers 11,346 cases and 737 dead!

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:

Army In HCMC full lockdown and some muppet is sat out in the street with no mask getting his hair cut by the local barber who has no mask and drives around the ward doing haircuts, with yesterdays numbers 11,346 cases and 737 dead!

Someone probably thinks this an essential or emergency service...

There are always going to be people who ignore the rules, same in the UK.. someone I know is pub manager and chose to avoid the rules and got caught.

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Someone probably thinks this an essential or emergency service...

There are always going to be people who ignore the rules, same in the UK.. someone I know is pub manager and chose to avoid the rules and got caught.

Now thanks to his little stunt,, the family of 8, 4 doors down have come out with their baby and are walking around chatting with no masks.

goodolboy

Oh No................................Covid comes back to our apartment block Celadon City Emerald block F 9.xx. Family of 6 with 3 confirmed f0

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

Oh No................................Covid comes back to our apartment block Celadon City Emerald block F 9.xx. Family of 6 with 3 confirmed f0

Well with people going out as they fancy and the grab for food from Friday I think there is going to be a HUGE spike in next few days, with influx of military medical people hopefully the city is equiped if there is.

I cant believe the casual way people are just walking around and still popping out for things like 2 vn bread rolls or a pack of fags.

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:

Seems to be a daily occurance now, lockdown was supposed to stop it but all it did was encourage people to go out and buy food ahead of the closure, I turn creating more F0

Next door neighbour has quick test results, both positive.. not sure about their three kids.

Keep your doors closed..and wait... And wait

I notice looking our from the balcony traffic is still flowing, not sure how some are essential services. Lorries carrying food I get, but there are quite a few scooters zipping along the main road also

goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Well with people going out as they fancy and the grab for food from Friday I think there is going to be a HUGE spike in next few days, with influx of military medical people hopefully the city is equiped if there is.

I cant believe the casual way people are just walking around and still popping out for things like 2 vn bread rolls or a pack of fags.

I have got to say that here it has not been like that this time round & I would say at least 95% (just my estimate no reliable proof) of residents here are abiding by the rules. The barrier tapes are still intact after 3 weeks & thats a sure sign people here are taking it seriously. At this time of day 9am I took the photo the gardens here would be full of people walking, talking & grannies out with the kids. Now no one its dead. This is a gated community & the outer security gates were sealed off about 4 days back with exit & entry by permit only. If shippers do get in past the outer security they are then stopped at the next security gates at the entry to each precinct & get no farther & you have to go get your stuff from them there.
Security & cleaners etc have to stay inside the complex now, eat, sleep work. There is a temp accommodation for them now.

Thing is here its such a big development & food etc has to come in somehow & just one delivery guy passing it on is difficult to prevent I suppose.
I agree with Jigar boy the days before hard lock down was put in force the scenes at the supermarkets was ripe for a super spreader event for sure. Friend of mine went to Aeon & gave up, he then went to Big C & it was chaos sent some photos but wont post them.

security.png

empty-gardens.png

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I have got to say that here it has not been like that this time round & I would say at least 95% (just my estimate no reliable proof) of residents here are abiding by the rules. The barrier tapes are still intact after 3 weeks & thats a sure sign people here are taking it seriously. At this time of day 9am I took the photo the gardens here would be full of people walking, talking & grannies out with the kids. Now no one its dead. This is a gated community & the outer security gates were sealed off about 4 days back with exit & entry by permit only. If shippers do get in past the outer security they are then stopped at the next security gates at the entry to each precinct & get no farther & you have to go get your stuff from them there.
Security & cleaners etc have to stay inside the complex now, eat, sleep work. There is a temp accommodation for them now.

Thing is here its such a big development & food etc has to come in somehow & just one delivery guy passing it on is difficult to prevent I suppose.
I agree with Jigar boy the days before hard lock down was put in force the scenes at the supermarkets was ripe for a super spreader event for sure. Friend of mine went to Aeon & gave up, he then went to Big C & it was chaos sent some photos but wont post them.

For the time being can still got both local Vinmarts here, not as many people around but you do see some of the regulars sitting in their cars... Windows down with the feet sticking out while they some. Not sure how that counts as essential.

Also see the local Shinhan bank is open as normal, so clearly some services assume they are allowed to open..

https://i.postimg.cc/9whM5vCZ/security.png

https://i.postimg.cc/SnqFcCGS/empty-gardens.png

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

After now months of "just 2 more weeks" I'm getting pretty peeved at people going out for what they think is essential everyone in HCMC had prior warning of the lockdown from Monday - we already have had a delivery of basic food   oil, fish sauce etc from ward officials there should no reason anyone is going out unless an emergency and that does not include a packet of cigs or a bread roll.

Their stupidity is now causing everyone to be locked down longer, everytime they wander out for a stroll and chat they may bring covid into our street then it will spread and cause more lock-down.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

After now months of "just 2 more weeks" I'm getting pretty peeved at people going out for what they think is essential everyone in HCMC had prior warning of the lockdown from Monday - we already have had a delivery of basic food   oil, fish sauce etc from ward officials there should no reason anyone is going out unless an emergency and that does not include a packet of cigs or a bread roll.

Their stupidity is now causing everyone to be locked down longer, everytime they wander out for a stroll and chat they may bring covid into our street then it will spread and cause more lock-down.

It's frustrating for sure.. and I see the same as you most days, but this kind of thing isn't exclusive to Vietnam. Back in England people were doing the same, Australia too.. no doubt most countries.

fred2796
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Their stupidity is now causing everyone to be locked down longer, every time they wander out for a stroll and chat they may bring covid into our street then it will spread and cause more lock-down.

... as i was saying to JG, the govt totally lost the plot by announcing a total LD - and then letting thousands upon thousands of people flock & crowd to the supermarkets for panic buying  - a super super spreader event/s sponsored by the govt. gob smacking stupidity.

i hate to  think what is going to happen now.

btw, here in CT, all the (few) local shops (in our lock-down area) are running out of food and closing. Mrs Hien went very early and nothing at small market and last vinmart closed.

so now what?

PS the quote markers might be wrong when i deleted the earlier text

Budman1
fred2796 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Their stupidity is now causing everyone to be locked down longer, every time they wander out for a stroll and chat they may bring covid into our street then it will spread and cause more lock-down.

... as i was saying to JG, the govt totally lost the plot by announcing a total LD - and then letting thousands upon thousands of people flock & crowd to the supermarkets for panic buying  - a super super spreader event/s sponsored by the govt. gob smacking stupidity.

btw, here in CT, all the (few) local shops (in our lock-down area) are running out of food and closing. Mrs Hien went very early and nothing at small market and last vinmart closed.

so now what?

Fred a little help if you don't mind guy. I just remembered your in Can Tho, I'm way south of you and not getting much info about the restrictions. Our bank is in CT and there's not a branch where we live so, are the roads into CT on QL1 completely blocked? They haven't done much or any testing here much less starting to give out VAXs. Any idea what I would need to get through the CP's? My beer and smoke funds are getting seriously low. Appreciate any inside you could provide.
Rick

AndyHCMC

Is there no online ordering in your area? Do you have a facebook group for your ward/area to order stuff?

THAITUNG111

Can Tho lotte mart is now opening. I went there last week and there are full of goods, including food. I think you can ask locals for a ticket that you can use for buying food purpose. It's a lot easier to live there than in Ho Chi Minh city now.

AndyHCMC
THAITUNG111 wrote:

Can Tho lotte mart is now opening. I went there last week and there are full of goods, including food. I think you can ask locals for a ticket that you can use for buying food purpose. It's a lot easier to live there than in Ho Chi Minh city now.

A note for people who need food, we live in HCMC and yesterday got a food bag, some are getting food and 1.2mill cash if the ward committe deems them poor and in need, we have seen many friends post messages they too have had bags of food, if you are in need first contact your ward committee they are listening and trying their best to help if you ask.

If outside of HCMC hopefully you have ward or district committe people who can help, beware though there is a scam where people are asking for 500k - 1mill and asking for money upfront which has been reported on news media as a scam..

The combo packs are 150k -300k in this area, we have several to pick from some only have one but if you are veg only maybe you can ask them to give you a no meat option like a couple of our friends have asked for.

fred2796
Budman1 wrote:
fred2796 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

so now what?

Fred a little help if you don't mind guy. I just remembered your in Can Tho, I'm way south of you and not getting much info about the restrictions. Our bank is in CT and there's not a branch where we live so, are the roads into CT on QL1 completely blocked? They haven't done much or any testing here much less starting to give out VAXs. Any idea what I would need to get through the CP's? My beer and smoke funds are getting seriously low. Appreciate any inside you could provide.
Rick

sorry, r. just saw this by accident almost.

basically every ward is/should be strictly locked down

we are in Pho Tho ward and we can shop 2nd day, but going out is very strictly controlled
yesterday only vinmart left was closed and local market not have anything. tomorrow when we go again, we see

last week, we had man you pick up from MM for us. apparently can not do that now.

we are scrounging the last of the red wine around .. not sure it will last or if they will get more stock

was just saying elsewhere that apparently our sm corner shop (25m) still has plenty of rice (and beer, oil, eggs)

they have blocked off local closed vinmart (and atm at same time). CP will let you go to different (only) vinmart outside ward (and can go to atm at the same time). but yesterday it was closed too. we will see tomorrow.

we can still get cash from AU with Hai Ha. he comes to CP, and we go there and pick up.

but they are really strict (here) about where you go and check everything.

my daughter is still working in pharmacy in CT, and CP (police) still give her a hard time and check exact route she will take there and back

re VX, i would hv had 1st shot last week (over 60s), but they wouldn't do (having waited two hours) because i hv some allergy so they say go to some hospital (this is obviously precaution in case i have allergic reaction). in fact all three expat i know of, they will not give VX for medical reasons.

does this help?

fred2796
THAITUNG111 wrote:

xin chao em

i don't see how this works as they will not let people outside ward

can you possibly explain?

Budman1
fred2796 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

so now what?

Rick

sorry, r. just saw this by accident almost.

basically every ward is/should be strictly locked down

we are in Pho Tho ward and we can shop 2nd day, but going out is very strictly controlled
yesterday only vinmart left was closed and local market not have anything. tomorrow when we go again, we see

last week, we had man you pick up from MM for us. apparently can not do that now.

we are scrounging the last of the red wine around .. not sure it will last or if they will get more stock

was just saying elsewhere that apparently our sm corner shop (25m) still has plenty of rice (and beer, oil, eggs)

they have blocked off local closed vinmart (and atm at same time). CP will let you go to different (only) vinmart outside ward (and can go to atm at the same time). but yesterday it was closed too. we will see tomorrow.

we can still get cash from AU with Hai Ha. he comes to CP, and we go there and pick up.

but they are really strict (here) about where you go and check everything.

my daughter is still working in pharmacy in CT, and CP (police) still give her a hard time and check exact route she will take there and back

re VX, i would hv had 1st shot last week (over 60s), but they wouldn't do (having waited two hours) because i hv some allergy so they say go to some hospital (this is obviously precaution in case i have allergic reaction). in fact all three expat i know of, they will not give VX for medical reasons.

does this help?

Thanks Fred. It at least gives me a idea of the situation there. I'll check with our bank tomorrow and see if they'll deliver. The manger offered too a few weeks ago and I declined, didn't think we'd be locked down this long. I just read that CT is going to be locked down till around the 8th of Sept. Sure will be glad when they get this under control.  Thanks again.
Rick

fred2796

@budman. if you have money in US, RIA service will still do same cash delivery service as HAI HA in AU (i believe) ... but that depends if you in/near major town i suspect

PS what is your location now?

PPS we can bring beer (and food) to ward CP for you (Cai Rang Hospital) , but i suspect that you can not drive there. let us know.

Budman1
fred2796 wrote:

@budman. if you have money in US, RIA service will still do same cash delivery service as HAI HA in AU (i believe) ... but that depends if you in/near major town i suspect

Thanks again Fred but I'm not about to do that, besides were so far out in the sticks that my internet connection is two beer cans connected downtown with a really long string. I can get anything we need delivered to the house, the problem is getting the green stamps with Uncle Ho's picture on them to pay for the goods. I ain't about to asks the folks to wait and pay later, not my style.
Rick

Yoda0807
Budman1 wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

Thanks again Fred but I'm not about to do that, besides were so far out in the sticks that my internet connection is two beer cans connected downtown with a really long string. I can get anything we need delivered to the house, the problem is getting the green stamps with Uncle Ho's picture on them to pay for the goods. I ain't about to asks the folks to wait and pay later, not my style.
Rick

Didn’t read this thread entirely but can’t you do bank transfer online?  Either bank transfer to delivery person or have someone spot you and transfer to his/her account?

goodolboy
Budman1 wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

Rick

Easy for me to say here in HCMC but since lock down most food deliveries wont take hard cash & everything done online bank transfer for as little a bill as 20k.  Also most Vietnamese use MoMo for paying for things round here.

Sure I am teaching you to suck eggs but if you have phone connection have you thought about Mobi 90 for internet?

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
fred2796 wrote:

Rick

Easy for me to say here in HCMC but since lock down most food deliveries wont take hard cash & everything done online bank transfer for as little a bill as 20k.  Also most Vietnamese use MoMo for paying for things round here.

Sure I am teaching you to suck eggs but if you have phone connection have you thought about Mobi 90 for internet?

We just had ward committe lady & a policeman knock on door, asking/telling (not sure which) to go out street next to school and get tested,,,, everyone in street went and got it done.

Didnt hurt but now i cant stop sneezing,,,, now I have to clean my screen yet again after Colinoscapee's joke this morning  lol.png

fred2796

@Can Tho Cai Rang
two local Vinmarts re-open today. prices down to almost normal Hien says.
local market closed
so v little fruit & veg. hv some locals come around.
Hien is ordering some things like prawns from locals online as far as i can understand (how they get prawns is a mystery)
we only get water because Hien find someone in local CT FB group. ditto prawns etc above.
this FB group above seems to operating as something of a co-op.
all a bit of a 'black box' to me
but i think you are stuffed if you are actually poor and/or you not understand Internet and/or your phone run out of money

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles