Menu
Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

AndyHCMC

GF very creative take on bacon egg & toast : who seems to spend all of her time looking at food ideas, cooking food or eating food,,,  Iv'e never seen a 48kg person eat so much and not turn in to a 90kg person,,,,   hmm.png

20210829-101550.jpg

goodolboy

MORE COVID TESTING DAYS CELADON CITY EMERALD BLOCKS E & F.
The goodolboy was one of the first in line & it was done very professionally this time. Well managed, good social distancing & people guiding & policing the line. So happy to do it this time. 5 minutes total including leaving the apartment getting there, getting done & leaving.

testing.png

20210829-090430.jpg

20210829-102847.jpg

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

Well it certainly did the rounds, my GF was certainly peeved, just shows people arnt going to stand for anyones bad behaviour.
I bet no one goes back online and sends everyone a message sayimg the above info.

When people get the news from TikTok, they'll never see a retraction. 

The entire identity of TikTok is its malice design.  The US Armed Forces have forbidden personnel from using it because it's a threat to cybersecurity. Israeli cybersecurity company Check Point has investigated it and concludes it has backdoors, major vulnerabilities, and overall security issues.  Reddit CEO and co-founder Steve Huffman describes it as a “fundamentally parasitic app that is always listening” and calls it a “spyware”.  Apple claims it has caught TikTok using clipboard capture mechanisms to spy on millions of users.  The list goes on. 

When TikTok users repost anything on FB, the link leads back to TikTok, the number of viewers who are at risk increased exponentially.  And the veracity of the content?  Who cares.  The Chinese did not create TikTok to give their citizens and the world a platform to share the truth.   

You bet that no one goes back online and sends everyone a message, I'll go one step further and bet that not one Vietnamese who watched that video would even try to find out whether it contains the truth.

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

GF very creative take on bacon egg & toast : who seems to spend all of her time looking at food ideas, cooking food or eating food,,,  Iv'e never seen a 48kg person eat so much and not turn in to a 90kg person,,,,   hmm.png

https://i.postimg.cc/0KnJ2Qgr/20210829-101550.jpg

Are those eggs poured into a bell pepper?  That's such a great idea!  I don't eat eggs and my husband rarely does, but I'll copy the idea and make it for him one of these days.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Well it certainly did the rounds, my GF was certainly peeved, just shows people arnt going to stand for anyones bad behaviour.
I bet no one goes back online and sends everyone a message sayimg the above info.

The entire identity of TikTok is its malice design.  The US Armed Forces have forbidden personnel from using it because it's a threat to cybersecurity. Israeli cybersecurity company Check Point has investigated it and concludes it has backdoors, major vulnerabilities, and overall security issues.  Reddit CEO and co-founder Steve Huffman describes it as a “fundamentally parasitic app that is always listening” and calls it a “spyware”.  Apple claims it has caught TikTok using clipboard capture mechanisms to spy on millions of users.  The list goes on. 

When TikTok users repost anything on FB, the link leads back to TikTok, the number of viewers who are at risk increased exponentially.  And the veracity of the content?  Who cares.  The Chinese did not create TikTok to give their citizens and the world a platform to share the truth.   

You bet that no one goes back online and sends everyone a message, I'll go one step further and bet that not one Vietnamese who watched that video would even try to find out whether it contains the truth.

I updated my GF with your info, she smiled and said nothing.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/0KnJ2Qgr/20210829-101550.jpg

Are those eggs poured into a bell pepper?  That's such a great idea!  I don't eat eggs and my husband rarely does, but I'll copy the idea and make it for him one of these days.

Yes I thought it worthy of a photo for the creativity, In Australia I have used onion to do the same on a BBQ to put an egg in on top of a steak, I supose you could do it with large beef tomatoes as well.

It must have been on FB somewhere she has been making all manner of things over the last week I've never seen before,, some I hope to never see again, her chocolate biscuits could have been used for war ration packs as hardtack biscuits, babies teething rusks or dog chews for cleaning their teeth.

Great in tea you get 4 dips out of them before they start to go soggy however there is no tea left to drink sad.png

Jlgarbutt
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

News from TikTiok? There was me thinking it was just for the cute girl  dance move video's

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

she has been making all manner of things over the last week I've never seen before,, some I hope to never see again, her chocolate biscuits could have been used for war ration packs as hardtack biscuits, babies teething rusks or dog chews for cleaning their teeth.

Great in tea you get 4 dips out of them before they start to go soggy however there is no tea left to drink sad.png

Vietnamese cannot make biscuits even with a recipe because they don't know what the taste and texture are supposed to be.  Contrarily, I can cook a few Vietnamese dishes but they don't taste like Vietnamese food because I never remember which dish needs salt and which needs fish sauce, which ingredients go together and which should never be seen in the same pot.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

she has been making all manner of things over the last week I've never seen before,, some I hope to never see again, her chocolate biscuits could have been used for war ration packs as hardtack biscuits, babies teething rusks or dog chews for cleaning their teeth.

Vietnamese cannot make biscuits even with a recipe because they don't know what the taste and texture are supposed to be.  Contrarily, I can cook a few Vietnamese dishes but they don't taste like Vietnamese food because I never remember which dish needs salt and which needs fish sauce, which ingredients go together and which should never be seen in the same pot.

Yeah trying to explain the difference between a cake and a biscuit was a 40 min conversation

goodolboy
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

I taught Ms My to do Scottish Shortbread & Oat Cakes, she then did some for her family when she went to Mekong & they loved them. Two contrasting tastes Shortbread sugary, Oat Cakes salty! Now I need to move on to Jock Pie & White Pudding.

Jlgarbutt

Since arriving here 18 months ago I haven't added salt to anything I eat.. now the salt in it might be different story... But if you don't see it.. it does no harm. 😜

I remember saying I want to make a Bolognese and ask where I can buy mince... Only girl in shop hands me.... A packet of mints..

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Since arriving here 18 months ago I haven't added salt to anything I eat.. now the salt in it might be different story... But if you don't see it.. it does no harm. 😜

I remember saying I want to make a Bolognese and ask where I can buy mince... Only girl in shop hands me.... A packet of mints..

haha reminds me of a time in Malta early 80's wife & I were sat around pool talking to a couple from up north, we all had a few drinks under our belt, I asked what he did for a crust he said Car Parts sales,,, wife then went on for 5 mins telling him we were replacing all ours and what did he recommend long lasting and good price, rest of us eventually stopped laughing and told her " CAR PARTS not CARPETS", at lease the swimming trunks were easy to wash the beer off.

goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

haha reminds me of a time in Malta early 80's wife & I were sat around pool talking to a couple from up north, we all had a few drinks under our belt, I asked what he did for a crust he said Car Parts sales,,, wife then went on for 5 mins telling him we were replacing all ours and what did he recommend long lasting and good price, rest of us eventually stopped laughing and told her " CAR PARTS not CARPETS", at lease the swimming trunks were easy to wash the beer off.

So this is a true story too & long before Sat Nav.........me & the ex are in the town of Blue Ridge Georgia heading over the Blue Ridge Mountains. So goes in to a store & asks one lady if I can buy a MAP. Sure she said we got MAPS come with me & I will show you. So she takes me to a selection of MOPS. Oh no I said I want a MAP, yea she says there you go take your pick. So then I pretends to open up a MAP & she twigs...............starts p***ing her self & said ahhhh you want a MAAYAP......sure we got them too & took me to the check out & sure enough there were a selection of MAAYAPS  & killing ourselves laughing about it. She said man you "Scotchpeople" do talk funny lol.pngdumbom.gif

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

So this is a true story too & long before Sat Nav.........me & the ex are in the town of Blue Ridge Georgia heading over the Blue Ridge Mountains. So goes in to a store & asks one lady if I can buy a MAP. Sure she said we got MAPS come with me & I will show you. So she takes me to a selection of MOPS. Oh no I said I want a MAP, yea she says there you go take your pick. So then I pretends to open up a MAP & she twigs...............starts p***ing her self & said ahhhh you want a MAAYAP......sure we got them too & took me to the check out & sure enough there were a selection of MAAYAPS  & killing ourselves laughing about it. She said man you "Scotchpeople" do talk funny lol.pngdumbom.gif

A Scotsman pulling up an Americans accent both who can't speak English now thats funny.

River Frogs

Classic and my belly laugh for the day.

AndyHCMC

Bad news, just found out GF's sister, partner, partners mother and girl who share house all tested positive after AZ jab 1st August.
Having had a fever 3 days, they contacted ward and got test kit, DR said over danger now, they are being treated at home, mother is shit scared and blood pressure high.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:

Bad news, just found out GF's sister, partner, partners mother and girl who share house all tested positive after AZ jab 1st August.
Having had a fever 3 days, they contacted ward and got test kit, DR said over danger now, they are being treated at home, mother is shit scared and blood pressure high.

That's bad news.. at least the vaccine they have before will lessen the effects..

Blood pressure stopped me getting couple of weeks back, today I have moderna.

So apples and bananas all help to lower blood pressure.. as does orange juice.. plus many people don't realise lack of water or dehydration actually causes a lot of high readings.... Low water levels make the blood stickier..

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

That's bad news.. at least the vaccine they have before will lessen the effects..

So apples and bananas all help to lower blood pressure.. as does orange juice.. plus many people don't realise lack of water or dehydration actually causes a lot of high readings.... Low water levels make the blood stickier..

Yeah mine was sky high as well, but nothing to do water, it was the fear of dropping dead with a blood clot,,, it was a long 30 min wait to get it rechecked after jab.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Yeah mine was sky high as well, but nothing to do water, it was the fear of dropping dead with a blood clot,,, it was a long 30 min wait to get it rechecked after jab.

Mines white coat syndrome... Back home and self test back to normal.

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. When will they receive the next test, or will they be doing it themselves at home?

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Mines white coat syndrome... Back home and self test back to normal.

Haha I remember talking abou t this back 7th August when I went, I have the some,, Ciambella has the opposite,,,,

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. When will they receive the next test, or will they be doing it themselves at home?

Unsure, she just got off zalo call, she thinks 7 and 10 days they reported to ward having fever medical came to them and tested, they gave medicine for diarrhea, sore throat & panadol they charged them 270k for the medicine, she has no work and we gave food and money 10 days ago, they thought F0 got assistance with medicine if no money.

0f178537c8553e0b6744.jpg

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

Unsure, she just got off zalo call, she thinks 7 and 10 days they reported to ward having fever medical came to them and tested, they gave medicine for diarrhea, sore throat & panadol they charged them 270k for the medicine, she has no work and we gave food and money 10 days ago, they thought F0 got assistance with medicine if no money.

Have your GF's relatives contact Bảo Hiểm Xã Hội of the ward or district with this information, which was published on People, the official government newspaper:

"Deputy General Director of Vietnam Social Insurance Pham Luong Son said that this agency has directed social insurance agency of provinces and cities to provide medicine, medical examination, and treatment for patients of Covid 19, whether they're being isolated in a facility or at home. For patients with health insurance (Bảo Hiểm Y Tế), the remaining of expenses not covered by health insurance will be paid by social insurance (Bảo Hiểm Xã Hội)."

This is the original Vietnamese version if they need to read or show to the medical people:

"Báo Nhân Dân, Tiếng Nói của Đảng, Nhà Nước và Nhân Dân Việt Nam đăng tái như sau:

"Phó Tổng Giám đốc Bảo hiểm xã hội (BHXH) Phạm Lương Sơn cho biết cơ quan này đã chỉ đạo BHXH các tỉnh, thành phố cùng với cơ sở khám, chữa bệnh (KCB) chuẩn bị đầy đủ lượng thuốc men liên quan đến việc khám, chữa bệnh, nhu cầu sử dụng thuốc của người bệnh. Với các bệnh nhân bị cách ly, dù là cách ly tập trung hay tại nhà có nhu cầu KCB, ngoài chi phí đặc trị cho Covid-19, những chi phí còn lại của người có thẻ BHYT sẽ được cơ quan BHXH chi trả 100%."

PS:  The above policy only applies to people with medical insurance.  I'm sorry to say that if they don't have insurance, then they have to pay all expenses themselves.  It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

Ciambella

PPS: Whether or not their medical expenses are covered, they're qualified for 80k worth of prepared food or grocery per person per day if they can show proof of their financial difficulty.

Travelfar
goodolboy wrote:

... So then I pretends to open up a MAP & she twigs...............starts p***ing her self & said ahhhh you want a MAAYAP......sure we got them too & took me to the check out & sure enough there were a selection of MAAYAPS  & killing ourselves laughing about it. ... lol.pngdumbom.gif

Boy can I relate to this!

My family and I had just relocated to Oklahoma and were buying various food items to stock our empty kitchen.  We needed several cooking ingredients like cumin, oregano, and couldn't find them in a large supermarket so we asked a cashier which aisle had the spices.

She looked at me as if I were an alien and replied, "Spices?"

"Yes, spices" I replied.  And again her response was, "Spices?"

"Yes", I said, "like salt and pepper."

Her face lighted up and she replied, "Oh!  SpAHces!" and told me the aisle number.

AndyHCMC
Travelfar wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

... So then I pretends to open up a MAP & she twigs...............starts p***ing her self & said ahhhh you want a MAAYAP......sure we got them too & took me to the check out & sure enough there were a selection of MAAYAPS  & killing ourselves laughing about it. ... lol.pngdumbom.gif

Boy can I relate to this!

My family and I had just relocated to Oklahoma and were buying various food items to stock our empty kitchen.  We needed several cooking ingredients like cumin, oregano, and couldn't find them in a large supermarket so we asked a cashier which aisle had the spices.

She looked at me as if I were an alien and replied, "Spices?"

"Yes, spices" I replied.  And again her response was, "Spices?"

"Yes", I said, "like salt and pepper."

Her face lighted up and she replied, "Oh!  SpAHces!" and told me the aisle number.

HA HA can be challenging speaking with NON-ENGLISH speakers  cool.png

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:

PPS: Whether or not their medical expenses are covered, they're qualified for 80k worth of prepared food or grocery per person per day if they can show proof of their financial difficulty.

I've forwarded it all to them - Thank you.
GF is at door having a spray at our rep about sisters ward.

Yes she has insurance

AndyHCMC

I wonder when they will start doing this in HCMC.

Da Nang uses drones to search for people leaving their homes when they are separated, they will be fined 7 million VND.

I just bought a drone I wonder if I can voluteer?

I'll fit mine out with dye dropping system to make all the idiots easier to round up.

Drones over Da Nang

AndyHCMC

Just been shown a FB post of GF niece who is a nurse who had covid and then went back to work in hospital, it showed her in protective gear, mask, face shield, gloves, blue suit eye glasses steamed up, saying she works 8 hrs before can take off to eat or drink! protective gear cost 300k and only 1 per day, she was feeding a lady sick with covid and said she felt like snatching the milk out of her hand and drinking it so was so hungry and thirsty.

They cant touch anything then drink or eat and their pro gear is expensive!

She said "I work for you please stay at home" so sad to hear.

AndyHCMC

Link for live info on infected locations
Click on 3rd from bottom to see every case in your area (Yellow person with red cross on)

Live data

AndyHCMC

Fire In Phu Nhuan 40 mins ago 1 dead, gas explosion on ground floor people trapped upstairs small alley fire engine could not get in.
People did not run away they stood and watched!

Link to Video on Facebook

AndyHCMC

After listening to my GF laughing her ass off I eventually found out why,,, looks like people have been creative with food as well

210180596-307603351062838-3950601685862404322-n.jpg 211291195-307603274396179-4178327450932051951-n.jpg

212189339-307603311062842-6769688731328133932-n.jpg 213007331-307603397729500-3403346061303369118-n.jpg

215021893-307603227729517-2793516413548149505-n.jpg

AndyHCMC

209714742-307603561062817-8457360641031334184-n.jpg 210064555-307603431062830-8277257627986506212-n.jpg 210990339-307603514396155-2848586303970135400-n.jpg 212757990-310860767403763-4488732151016346136-n.jpg

213202213-307730101050163-3487968428223336646-n.jpg 213500475-307603474396159-8230042945096942445-n.jpg 215270820-307603604396146-4439975227567210845-n.jpg 216589057-310860864070420-5741451847620906767-n.jpg

217102598-310860817403758-7099290793230120076-n.jpg 217604131-313882093768297-6479169821842115903-n.jpg 218973780-313882060434967-7989416624764402463-n.jpg 219290875-316824020140771-7358116674709283353-n.jpg

220983447-316823983474108-8674818411931403164-n.jpg 221119876-316824176807422-7848847410349669096-n.jpg 221177247-316823833474123-3081020280322832662-n.jpg 221516447-316824066807433-5867594668169913821-n.jpg

222254928-316823926807447-1066459773506644783-n.jpg

Ciambella
Andybris2020 wrote:

After listening to my GF laughing her ass off I eventually found out why,,, looks like people have been creative with food as well

Halloween comes early.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Halloween comes early.

Forget the egg in bell pepper scare the cr** out of the kids when open their lunch box  cool.png

goodolboy

The management company tries to keep the residents fully in the picture & now sends us an update by e mail detailing the Covid situation inside Celadon City Emerald & its good to know the situation & where the infected apartments are. This afternoon they disinfected the all lobbies again with a dusting machine.

EMERALD-COVID-UPDATE.png

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

The management company tries to keep the residents fully in the picture & now sends us an update by e mail detailing the Covid situation inside Celadon City Emerald & its good to know the situation & where the infected apartments are. This afternoon they disinfected the all lobbies again with a dusting machine.

https://i.postimg.cc/gX1f2s72/EMERALD-COVID-UPDATE.png

Translation good, I tried to overlay the info with live data,, seems the live site maybe lagging a few days?

AndyHCMC

Oh my gawd and they wonder why,,,,,,, ward lady circled, I didnt have my tape with me but don't think it was 2m, we just found out there is a covid case around the corner (out of the house and street we were told to ALL STAY IN) where the guy with no shirt goes round to to chat and buy his cigerrettes, along with the youth who is always sat with no mask, we pointed this out and did he know, oh yes he said thats what we were sat talking about  joking.png

a3c2e09aa9ed5fb306fc.jpg

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:

Link for live info on infected locations
Click on 3rd from bottom to see every case in your area (Yellow person with red cross on)

Not sure who updates that but clicking on my area shows no cases and have five living next door 😮

Live data

gobot
Andybris2020 wrote:

Yeah trying to explain the difference between a cake and a biscuit was a 40 min conversation

Vietnamese is such an expressive language.

Baguette? banh mi
Loaf? banh mi
Sliced bread? banh mi
Croissante? banh mi
Cookie? banh mi
Muffin? banh mi
Angel food cake? banh mi
Anything with flour as an ingredient? banh mi   Ah, I think I learned the trick...  hmm.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles