Menu
Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

AndyHCMC
gobot wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Yeah trying to explain the difference between a cake and a biscuit was a 40 min conversation

Vietnamese is such an expressive language.

Baguette? banh mi
Loaf? banh mi
Sliced bread? banh mi
Croissante? banh mi
Cookie? banh mi
Muffin? banh mi
Angel food cake? banh mi
Anything with flour as an ingredient? banh mi   Ah, I think I learned the trick...  hmm.png

Yeah GF and I have been making bread loafs, bread with cheese and bacon, Cake, biscuits,
bread rolls when she shouts for the boys to come and try she always shouts banh mi

Ciambella
gobot wrote:

Baguette? banh mi
Loaf? banh mi
Sliced bread? banh mi
Croissant? banh mi
Cookie? banh mi
Muffin? banh mi
Angel food cake? banh mi
Anything with flour as an ingredient? banh mi   Ah, I think I learned the trick...  hmm.png

You should've consulted your wife before posting that, Gobot.

Loaf:  Bánh mì khối
Rolls:  Bánh mì tròn or bánh cuộn
Bread stick:  Bánh que
Sliced bread:  Bánh mì cắt lát
Sweet bread:  Bánh mì ngọt
Croissant: Bánh sừng bò
Cookie:  Bánh quy
Biscuit:  Bánh bích quy (from biscuit in French)
Angel food cake:  Bánh bông lan
Choux:  Bánh su kem (from choux à la crème)
Cheesecake:  Bánh kem phô-mai
Cake:  Bánh ngọt or bánh ga tô  (from gateau)
Birthday cake:  Bánh sinh nhật
Tart:  Bánh nhân trái cây
Pancake:  Bánh rán chảo
Puff pastry:  Bánh ngàn lớp

Anything with flour as an ingredient: bánh, followed by a modified noun.

THIGV
gobot wrote:

How many Vietnamese words do you know that translate into English as simply noodles?

OceanBeach92107
Andybris2020 wrote:

I wonder when they will start doing this in HCMC.

Da Nang uses drones to search for people leaving their homes when they are separated, they will be fined 7 million VND.

I just bought a drone I wonder if I can voluteer?

I'll fit mine out with dye dropping system to make all the idiots easier to round up.

An official news article about it:

baodanang.vn/english/photo-news/202108/da-nang-deploys-flycams-to-monitor-residents-compliance-with-stay-at-home-order-in-alleys-3888548/

goodolboy

I am so lucky to live here at Celadon City Emerald. Our investor is number 1, they really sympathise & take care of the residents & the workers here so good in these difficult times. THANK YOU GAMUDA LAND.

GAMUDA-LAND.png

EMERALD-COVID-UPDATE2.png

AndyHCMC
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Da Nang uses drones to search for people leaving their homes when they are separated, they will be fined 7 million VND.

I'll fit mine out with dye dropping system to make all the idiots easier to round up.

baodanang.vn/english/photo-news/202108/da-nang-deploys-flycams-to-monitor-residents-compliance-with-stay-at-home-order-in-alleys-3888548/

I messaged a guy in our street who we are friendly with,, said im sick of people going out in the street no masks and sent him the story and said i should fly up and down the street scare them back in,,, he sent a laughing emoji,,, everyone knows its your drone they have all seen you and whole family standing in st when you got it,,,, oh yeah i forgot that bit....

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

I am so lucky to live here at Celadon City Emerald. Our investor is number 1, they really sympathise & take care of the residents & the workers here so good in these difficult times. THANK YOU GAMUDA LAND.

https://i.postimg.cc/yDmcJMjr/GAMUDA-LAND.png

https://i.postimg.cc/4mhzG79G/EMERALD-COVID-UPDATE2.png

Great that you give them a shout out, seen many bad stories out there nice to hear about the good ones as well, I did notice when you posted your covid info the English (did you need a English to Scottish english translator?   lol.png  )  was excellent unlike all the ones we got when we were living in a high rise apartment block.

dan nhacca

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : please post information in english only, thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Great that you give them a shout out, seen many bad stories out there nice to hear about the good ones as well, I did notice when you posted your covid info the English (did you need a English to Scottish english translator?   lol.png  )  was excellent unlike all the ones we got when we were living in a high rise apartment block.

Actually they send the Covid details by e mail in Vietnamese & English, its about time Google Translate English to Scottish iz weel min! I see these days a lot of internet sites give the option of English USA, English Australian (hows yer roo Blue) , English Irish, English Indian, so why did English Scottish miss out och I the noo?

As far as apartment blocks are concerned all I can say is thank god we moved out of Moscow Tower to come here. That place was terrible & getting worse. But hey....you pays your money & you gets what you pay for. Not always the case from what I see & hear but in our case I cant fault Celadon City, Gamuda Land, the management company CBRE & the resident support groups are JUST THE BEST.

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Actually they send the Covid details by e mail in Vietnamese & English, its about time Google Translate English to Scottish iz weel min! I see these days a lot of internet sites give the option of English USA, English Australian (hows yer roo Blue) , English Irish, English Indian, so why did English Scottish miss out och I the noo?

As far as apartment blocks are concerned all I can say is thank god we moved out of Moscow Tower to come here. That place was terrible & getting worse. But hey....you pays your money & you gets what you pay for. Not always the case from what I see & hear but in our case I cant fault Celadon City, Gamuda Land, the management company CBRE & the resident support groups are JUST THE BEST.

so why did English Scottish miss out och I the noo? maybe they had a hard time pulling one out the pub?  hmm.png

OceanBeach92107
Andybris2020 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

I messaged a guy in our street who we are friendly with,, said im sick of people going out in the street no masks and sent him the story and said i should fly up and down the street scare them back in,,, he sent a laughing emoji,,, everyone knows its your drone they have all seen you and whole family standing in st when you got it,,,, oh yeah i forgot that bit....

Maybe you just need...

A Bigger Drone

😎

AndyHCMC
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Maybe you just need...

A Bigger Drone

😎

They would go back in but only because of some old fat westerner bouncing from one side of the street to the other screaming "how do I turn it off"

gobot
Ciambella wrote:

You should've consulted your wife before posting that, Gobot.
Anything with flour as an ingredient: bánh, followed by a modified noun.

Ok, language in my D8 house is probably unique and I shouldn't have generalized to more literate Vietnamese houses.  Here bánh mi is a broad category that doesn't need finer distinctions to avoid ambiguity - the stuff is rare in the house.

Like stateside, or in the air, a common answer to "What's for dinner?" is chicken or beef. That is usually specific enough for the asker, 'Braised chicken in a raspberry mustard roux with capers' is too much information. But Americans aren't generic about "baked goods". I never even heard the term baked goods until I was 40. Who says that?

The only "bánh mi" the elders in the family eat is baguettes, and only on soupy curry night, curry is never served with rice here.

The boy is more adventurous: donuts, sliced white bread, sweet waffles from the street vendor. His parents get pound cake once in a while. Me, I get excited to find real loaves, scones, muffins, cinnamon twists in precious bakeries for expats in PMH & Thao Dien.
When I get home and open the bag, I just hear "bánh mi".

Ciambella
gobot wrote:

Me, I get excited to find real loaves, scones, muffins, cinnamon twists in precious bakeries for expats in PMH & Thao Dien.
When I get home and open the bag, I just hear "bánh mi".

Whenever I ask my Vietnamese relatives to pick up something for us (I dislike food shopping), I have to tell them the specific names, else they would get to the store and send back photos of everything for me to select.  I didn't know any of those names until we moved here.

Ciambella
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Maybe you just need...

A Bigger Drone

😎

That's very cool.  I would love to have one.   top.png

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Maybe you just need...

A Bigger Drone

😎

They would go back in but only because of some old fat westerner bouncing from one side of the street to the other screaming "how do I turn it off"

I have a decent sized helicopter with a camera under neath.. can I play too ?

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Maybe you just need...

A Bigger Drone

😎

I have a decent sized helicopter with a camera under neath.. can I play too ?

Really? Where the heck do you fly that? I havnt seen any rc clubs here or flying fields,, i was into rc gliders back in Aus and would love to teach the boys,,, seeing drone laws are tight as here i have to be careful when u play with it, but ive seen many youtube vids of locals doing it, i even asked about licence at shop where i bought they said dont fly above police near army or gov building,,, ill wait and see if i get arrested if i ever get to Vung Tau and fly around the island off the beach ,,   ⛱

I just sent you a pm.

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Maybe you just need...

A Bigger Drone

😎

That's very cool.  I would love to have one.   top.png

Love to see you trying that on mine it's 249g (8.7 oz)
& fits in the palm of your hand,,, may have to upgrade the motors   hmm.png

goodolboy

Oh Oh they are setting up for re testing. 38 positive & high risk identified at last big testing 4 days back. Just gotta hope I dont get the call yikes.png   

testing-again.png

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

Oh Oh they are setting up for re testing. 38 positive & high risk identified at last big testing 4 days back. Just gotta hope I dont get the call yikes.png   

https://i.postimg.cc/34pjGJLy/testing-again.png

I just got back from 2nd test, well organized although people were a little close.

We are nervous now because found out a positive case where the idiots in street go and buy smokes and sit and talk.

Fingers crossed for you both.

Update on GF Sister & GF and her Mum who all tested positive 3 weeks after 1st AZ jab, all doing well they just hay fever and feeling "normal" they have yet to see if they go down hill in the second stage where it hits their lungs,,, so far so good. they are 31, 30, 52 and no underlying problems.

AndyHCMC

Daily life goes on,,, a frequent attendee of the beer club next door (when it was open) somehow managed to go cross ward borders and started a drinkathon next door sitting outside to smoke, 8pm it was ok then at 9 - 10pm the guy who joined in from across the road had way too many and stood outside the adjoining house screaming anti comm party slogans (think he is peeved at being locked in as he was always in and out the street), swearing all to the dismay of the family inside with a boy and girl under 5.

The guy in the room same floor as us next door started shouting to him what he was going to do with his head (something that may be impossible to do) if he dint shut up and go back inside.

Many complaints to the ward lady as she notified us to go get tested this morning,,, I think he may have lost some standing in the pecking order in the street after that stunt, seeing today is Sept 2.

Every village has an idiot, we seem to have all of Phu Nhuan 14 wards living here in the same st.

goodolboy
Andybris2020 wrote:

Daily life goes on,,, a frequent attendee of the beer club next door (when it was open) somehow managed to go cross ward borders and started a drinkathon next door sitting outside to smoke, 8pm it was ok then at 9 - 10pm the guy who joined in from across the road had way too many and stood outside the adjoining house screaming anti comm party slogans (think he is peeved at being locked in as he was always in and out the street), swearing all to the dismay of the family inside with a boy and girl under 5.

The guy in the room same floor as us next door started shouting to him what he was going to do with his head (something that may be impossible to do) is he dint shut up and go back inside.

Many complaints to the ward lady as she notified us to go get tested this morning,,, I think he may have lost some standing in the pecking order in the street after that stunt, seeing to day is Sept 2.

Interesting especially as you say considering the date. dumbom.gif

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

The guy in the room same floor as us next door started shouting to him what he was going to do with his head (something that may be impossible to do) if he dint shut up and go back inside.

Many complaints to the ward lady as she notified us to go get tested this morning,,, I think he may have lost some standing in the pecking order in the street after that stunt, seeing today is Sept 2.

Every village has an idiot, we seem to have all of Phu Nhuan 14 wards living here in the same st.

Interesting especially as you say considering the date. dumbom.gif

Yeah not a good idea especially seeing when he gets out his drunken fart sac he will see a street lined with VN flags.

goodolboy

A STRANGE SITUATION & A MATTER OF INTEREST..............................

As told before Ms My & myself got the first Astra jab 8.8.2021 & we both have stamped certificate to prove it. Soon after we got the jab we logged into the National government portal to check our status & both were showing still to get first vaccine. Yesterday we logged in again (think Ms My got a message to check) & lo & behold Ms My is showing as having the first Astra vaccine & then we had to fill in when & where she wanted the second one. Then logged in to check my situation & it says I am still awaiting the first one even although I have at least 3 times filled in on line at ward level & at Emerald support group that I have had it.
Anyone else in the same situation after checking the national Covid portal? Just interested as I am quite sure I will get the call at Ward level when I have to go get the second one.

AndyHCMC

latest covid plan

At the same time, authorities should soon study the regulations to apply vaccination certificates to life, such as traveling, using public services...

Jlgarbutt

Second round of testing here yesterday. 1200 door to door tests with maybe 20 refusing to open doors and be tested. I would have thought it's mandatory at this stage.

Second jab booked up for third week of September.. Moderna again for me

No hints at what happens next regarding lockdown down or social distancing.. just gotta sit and wait.

goodolboy
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Second round of testing here yesterday. 1200 door to door tests with maybe 20 refusing to open doors and be tested. I would have thought it's mandatory at this stage.

OFFS 4 days back many here refused too, they just did not show up, out of 300 + Block F ( 1 from each apartment) that were supposed to go lucky if well say between 50 & at the very most 100 got done & by 11.30 & lots of tannoy messages the testing team gave up & headed for lunch 11.30 & never came back.

Just from what I have read that's far to short a time between the first & the second jab.

No hints at what happens next regarding lockdown down or social distancing.. just gotta sit and wait.

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:

You seen the story about black particles found in batches of it?
The reports were Japan and Spain apparently, hopefully none turn up here.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

In the Moderna Vaccine? That's just great... Oh well if you can't see it with the naked eye..what harm could it possibly do. Maybe it's bat droppings from Wuhan for extra potency

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

In the Moderna Vaccine? That's just great... Oh well if you can't see it with the naked eye..what harm could it possibly do. Maybe it's bat droppings from Wuhan for extra potency

HAHAHAHA

mtgmike
Andybris2020 wrote:

latest covid plan

At the same time, authorities should soon study the regulations to apply vaccination certificates to life, such as traveling, using public services...

There's no room in my Tet funds to cover certificates to life.

AndyHCMC

The army uses bicycles to transport food

HO CHI MINH CITY 27 bicycles of the 5th Division (Military Zone 7) were requisitioned to transport food into the deep alleys and distribute it to the people.

goodolboy

Thank you Gamuda land for the gifts you bring to residents Celadon City Emerald today. We are so lucky in these difficult times.

Today 5 people working management office tested positive Covid, hope they recover soon & are well.

gift-2.png

gift-1.png

goodolboy

First thing I will do after lock down is go see my friends

ducks.png

geese.png

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/K1RTxJR6/ducks.png

https://i.postimg.cc/PpB3QP0x/geese.png

Hopefully locals haven't caught and eaten them.

I already plan to stop off at Starbucks, and then either Mekong Merchant in Thao Dien or Union Jack's.

Failing that, Catphe in the city.. good price coffee and cats craving attention (no smutty jokes)

Lots of people are still seriously looking at paying for vaccine.. Pfizer and Moderna being offered at 3 million plus and because locals are concerned about Sinopharm I can see the greedy sellers making high profits.

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

As long as they not in local pet hospital with "bird flu"

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

As long as they not in local pet hospital with "bird flu"

Doh.. now I have cravings for crispy aromatic duck pancakes with Hoi sin sauce..

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I already plan to stop off at Starbucks, and then either Mekong Merchant in Thao Dien or Union Jack's.

Failing that, Catphe in the city.. good price coffee and cats craving attention (no smutty jokes)

Lots of people are still seriously looking at paying for vaccine.. Pfizer and Moderna being offered at 3 million plus and because locals are concerned about Sinopharm I can see the greedy sellers making high profits.

Well liking coffee Starbucks is not on my list of places to go, when/if lockdown is lifted I will pack the night before, wake & make a coffee on our Nova Simonelli commercial machine we have in our coffee shop and down it as fast as I can and all of us will go to Vung Tau, not knowing where we will go from there or when we will be back, we have zero plans for when released except get the heck out the house.

We heard last night my sisters Gf's mother who tested positive is now in hospital on oxygen, so we have come to realise that we could be locked down or catch some virus and drop dead any time in the future so go make the most of it when we can.

Maybe there will be some promotions for flights and we will go visit Hanoi, Sa Pa , Da Nang, Ba Na Hills, with the boys and video with the flycam we just bought, anything to make some memories instead of sat looking at walls for months on end if/when released we are among the lucky ones still alive.

gobot

It's going to come down in phases...

When I can leave the house, I'll go to Vietnamese cafes, Vietnamese stores, buy candy, go swimming, walk around this district I am tired of.

When I can leave the district, I'll do Airbnb weekends or hotels in D7, Thao Dien. Eat and drink imported. Take tennis lessons. Do the malls, parks, get a new Mac if they are out yet.

When I can leave the city, jeez so many trips - VT, Mekong, still haven't been to the capital, Phu Quoc, Da Nang, ...

When the border opens, going to the states for a month, both coasts, see family and old friends, order Amazon, maybe two months, Mexico. Fweedom.  cool.png

goodolboy

I did worry about that too but them photos were taken today well video actually by one resident who obviously dont give two monkeys about lock down & posted them on one of the Celadon City FB groups

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles