Menu
Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:

Hopefully locals haven't caught and eaten them.

I did worry about that too but them photos were taken today well video actually by one resident who obviously dont give two monkeys about lock down & posted them on one of the Celadon City FB groups

Ducks need a GoPro to capture lockdown Dodgers.. detective quack and chief inspector drake

THAITUNG111
goodolboy wrote:

First thing I will do after lock down is go see my friends

https://i.postimg.cc/K1RTxJR6/ducks.png

https://i.postimg.cc/PpB3QP0x/geese.png

I see that they are free swimming and roaming, does anyone feed them?
I will go to some local cafe, enjoying their noise and chaotic, that I hate before

AndyHCMC

Seeing that everyone is talking about what to do when/if after covid lock-down, out of curiosity I looked on Traveloka (other online booking services are available) to see what flight prices were,, if I look at HCMC to Hanoi, Phu Quoc, Da Nang all September is 3.5m+ then in October it drops to 5**k - 6**k I wonder if they know something we don't?

Or maybe someone only changed September and left October at old prices?

AndyHCMC
THAITUNG111 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I will go to some local cafe, enjoying their noise and chaotic, that I hate before

Drop around my house,,, with 3 boys under 14 you can have all the noise and chaos you can take, heck I'll even let you babysit them for a couple of months.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
THAITUNG111 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Drop around my house,,, with 3 boys under 14 you can have all the noise and chaos yo can take, heck I'll even let you babysit them for a couple of months.

Give it a day and your miss them 🤠

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
THAITUNG111 wrote:

Drop around my house,,, with 3 boys under 14 you can have all the noise and chaos yo can take, heck I'll even let you babysit them for a couple of months.

Give it a day and your miss them 🤠

Oh no I wouldn't, we went up Da Nang, Hue, Hanoi & Sa Pa just as they started to lock down we were away for 7 days,, I think it was 6days 23hrs 59 seconds before we missed them.

Grandma & Grandpa seems just as happy to see us as we were to see boys,,, no idea why?  cool.png

pogiwayne
Andybris2020 wrote:

Seeing that everyone is talking about what to do when/if after covid lock-down, out of curiosity I looked on Traveloka (other online booking services are available) to see what flight prices were,, if I look at HCMC to Hanoi, Phu Quoc, Da Nang all September is 3.5m+ then in October it drops to 5**k - 6**k I wonder if they know something we don't?

Or maybe someone only changed September and left October at old prices?

That means that the cheap seats are sold out. This is a normal evolution for Airlines. The travel companies will buy up most of the cheap seats early in anticipation of a need.
Airlines do get insider information but during the worldwide pandemic it hasn't been very reliable.

goodolboy

Our investor Gamuda Land at Celadon City Emerald has donated these new bikes for residents to use when lock down ends............just got to hope its sooner rather than later then otherwise they might seize up lol.png

bikes.png

AndyHCMC
goodolboy wrote:

Our investor Gamuda Land at Celadon City Emerald has donated these new bikes for residents to use when lock down ends............just got to hope its sooner rather than later then otherwise they might seize up lol.png

https://i.postimg.cc/Jy67bSt1/bikes.png

Seems a bit of a weird thing to do? or maybe their thinking is no money for petrol so bike to go shopping/work?

Good on them though they certainly going to get a lot of positive things said about them, as you said "well done Gamuda"

AndyHCMC

On the Good new front:- Online school started yesterday we set up the spare room as a classroom I set up my laptop for the eldest and their old laptop connected to tv so the twins could sit together on a desk and both do work at the same time and see the info on the larger screen, yesterday the eldest complained he could not hear the teacher so I lent him my over-ear headphone with mic the deal was he cook breakfast seeing he has to get up early.

So I just had breakfast in bed with a coffee and he gets to hear his teacher which i'd say was a win - win.

I pity him trying to hear anything tomorrow over the twins chaos as they fight to use the mouse hahaha.

Guest2023

During this long and tedious lockdown, I have come to realise that I am quite happy to wear my lime green mankini day and night, day-in,day-out.I have also become quite fond of listening to The Great Speeches of Winston Churchill and singing Jehovah Witnesses tunes whilst slapping my buttocks with a stick of celery.

These goods times shall be missed.

Jlgarbutt
colinoscapee wrote:

During this long and tedious lockdown, I have come to realise that I am quite happy to wear my lime green mankini day and night, day-in,day-out.I have also become quite fond of listening to The Great Speeches of Winston Churchill and singing Jehovah Witnesses tunes whilst slapping my buttocks with a stick of celery.

Borat has landed and gotten all religious and misty eyed over WW2.

The elders at kingdom hall would frown upon you for listening to any war time related speeches.. they are not the word of God.

And for goodness sake, what did the celery do to you?

AndyHCMC
colinoscapee wrote:

I did hope one day to stumble upon your neck of the woods, say hello over a beer,,, I'm having second thoughts  hmm.png

Guest2023

I came to realise something many years ago. Answering the door naked when JW's arrive unannouced will instantly place you on the "dont go to this house" list

Guest2023
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I did hope one day to stumble upon your neck of the woods, say hello over a beer,,, I'm having second thoughts  hmm.png

I have a certificate from the Wolston Park Mental Hospital for the criminally insane that states I am mentally sound.

Do you have one?

AndyHCMC
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I have a certificate from the Wolston Park Mental Hospital for the criminally insane that states I am mentally sound.

Do you have one?

No but my ex wife worked there as a psych nurse from 1990 so I can ask her to email me one   big_smile.png
I used to drop her off and pick her up everyday when we got to Australia and only had 1 car, Its now called The Park Center.

Jlgarbutt
colinoscapee wrote:

I came to realise something many years ago. Answering the door naked when JW's arrive unannouced will instantly place you on the "dont go to this house" list

Ah see back home my friends were "Jehovah's biscuits" and they shared some interesting ideas how to maximise the number or positive door visits.

Awkward grumpy guy... Send two hot chicks ...
Awkward argumentative guy... Send the most wacky out there dude in the congregation.

Me personally I prefer the hot chicks... Many of them are god botherers because the family made rhckice.m get them away from their bibles and a fee shots down their neck and they're hot to party

The amount of affair behinds closed doors would shock you. Older men bored with wives often hooked up with the 18 year olds..

Guest2023
Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Ah see back home my friends were "Jehovah's biscuits" and they shared some interesting ideas how to maximise the number or positive door visits.

Awkward argumentative guy... Send the most wacky out there dude in the congregation.

Me personally I prefer the hot chicks... Many of them are god botherers because the family made rhckice.m get them away from their bibles and a fee shots down their neck and they're hot to party

The amount of affair behinds closed doors would shock you. Older men bored with wives often hooked up with the 18 year olds..

I worked with former JW's back in the 80s. Also heard many of their sordid going-ons.

Jlgarbutt
colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I worked with former JW's back in the 80s. Also heard many of their sordid going-ons.

What yuou see in public the "look how pure and kind we are nonsense" quickly vanished when they used to join us for sunday football... diity sods, fowling let right and center, plus enough swear words to shock even the most foul mouthed

AndyHCMC

Well thats vaccines, free bikes, mental people, religion, covered,, moving on.... whats next

Guest2023
Andybris2020 wrote:

Well thats vaccines, free bikes, mental people, religion, covered,, moving on.... whats next

Drunk midgets selling sex toys door-to-door.

Jlgarbutt
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Would midgets need smaller toys? Just asking for a neighbour... Haha

AndyHCMC
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Well at 5 foot 3 and liking beer i have the first 2 covered

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Five foot three? Really ??

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Well 5 foot 2 1/2" but i dont want the short jokes

Guest2023
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Well 5 foot 2 1/2" but i dont want the short jokes

That would be extremely rude to make fun of your shortness.

Sit back in your highchair and chill out to this

Ciambella

The forum has been peaceful for 3 whole days.  My husband and I (my temperament affects him so he's in this too) thank all 5 of you -- Phil, Alan, Steve, Andy, and Jlgar -- for your help in changing the mood of the forum and affectively giving me this respite.  I needed it (and still do.)   thanks.gif

AndyHCMC
Ciambella wrote:

The forum has been peaceful for 3 whole days.  My husband and I (my temperament affects him so he's in this too) thank all 5 of you -- Phil, Alan, Steve, Andy, and Jlgar -- for your help in changing the mood of the forum and affectively giving me this respite.  I needed it (and still do.)   thanks.gif

Well the mood was good until Colin mentioned walking around in a mankini then I had to hold back being sick all over my screen.
To make matters even worse he admitted to answering the door naked! I'm still trying to shake that image out my head.  joking.png

AndyHCMC

For those looking for something a bit different to Chicken, Beef, Pork etc My GF bought some EMU, normally we get beef and thin slice it for Pho, noodle dishes, or fast grilling on electric bbq, chunks in stews and curry it's around 240k a kilo (2.2lb) and she gets nice tasking beef.

She saw a supplier on FB who was selling Ozzie Emu at 130k kg frozen so we grabbed a kilo because it was easy to ship.

It was fantastic pan frying thin cut like sushi tuna, we had it with noodles and vegies and have just finished eating it in a curry I highly recommend it if anyone wants a link to his FB page.

Any other ideas for new stuff to try that's deliverable.

I believe he has Kangaroo & goat available as well.

AndyHCMC

Yippee! peace at last, all 3 boys now doing online schooling which means a few hours of relaxation for mum - great.

e4dfcd174b39bd67e428.jpg

AndyHCMC

Just been called & done 3rd covid test, rumour is seeing we are a green zone we may get let out in the street just not out of our ward if good results.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:

For those looking for something a bit different to Chicken, Beef, Pork etc My GF bought some EMU, normally we get beef and thin slice it for Pho, noodle dishes, or fast grilling on electric bbq, chunks in stews and curry it's around 240k a kilo (2.2lb) and she gets nice tasking beef.

She saw a supplier on FB who was selling Ozzie Emu at 130k kg frozen so we grabbed a kilo because it was easy to ship.

It was fantastic pan frying thin cut like sushi tuna, we had it with noodles and vegies and have just finished eating it in a curry I highly recommend it if anyone wants a link to his FB page.

That brings back memories of a back packing trip up the west coast where we got invited to breakkie at an emu farm.. a bit dubious at first but tasted great..

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

That brings back memories of a back packing trip up the west coast where we got invited to breakkie at an emu farm.. a bit dubious at first but tasted great..

When did you go?

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

When did you go?

Started in Perth, up the coast to Cervantes, Lancelin, Kalbarri Gorge, Overlander, Monkey Mia and back again.the return leg just three of use and stopped at a farm that usually housed upto 50. Farmer gets home and says sod it.. let's go to the local pub.. meet some other land owners, one of which run an Emu Farm...bingo .come over for breakfast

AndyHCMC
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

When did you go?

Started in Perth, up the coast to Cervantes, Lancelin, Kalbarri Gorge, Overlander, Monkey Mia and back again.the return leg just three of use and stopped at a farm that usually housed upto 50. Farmer gets home and says sod it.. let's go to the local pub.. meet some other land owners, one of which run an Emu Farm...bingo .come over for breakfast

I only got to Perth, Freemantle, Broome, Curtin.  I loved the way Perth was set out rail line and road each side nice place.

I'm definitely an EMU convert, we just ordered another 5 kg at 130k its cheap eating,, I'm gonna try it in chunks on a kabab stick with mushrooms and vegies see how it comes up on a BBQ.

Jlgarbutt
Andybris2020 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

When did you go?

I only got to Perth, Freemantle, Broome, Curtin.  I loved the way Perth was set out rail line and road each side nice place.

I'm definitely an EMU convert, we just ordered another 5 kg at 130k its cheap eating,, I'm gonna try it in chunks on a kabab stick with mushrooms and vegies see how it comes up on a BBQ.

WA is a nice place.. great road and rail set-up, much prefer it to over east. Always made me chuckle at teh train stations out of town.. kiss n ride signs to denote drop off points

Sydney just felt like London in the sun.

Ciambella
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Next time you're at an emu farm, ask to buy a bottle of emu oil if they make it (most do before they use the meat for eating).  It's excellent for all skin problems -- moisturizer, anti-wrinkle, anti-immaflatory, regular burn, sunburn, cut, minor wounds, acne, rosacea, itchy, massage for arthritis, and repelling insects.  Or if you're not at an emu farm, buy it anyway from a legit business.

For a decade now, I've been using emu oil for all of the things listed above except acne and rosacea, and it has worked very well in every case.

In VN climate, you'll need to store it in the fridge to prevent/slow down its process of turning rancid.

Jlgarbutt
Ciambella wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Next time you're at an emu farm, ask to buy a bottle of emu oil if they make it (most do before they use the meat for eating).  It's excellent for all skin problems -- moisturizer, anti-wrinkle, anti-immaflatory, regular burn, sunburn, cut, minor wounds, acne, rosacea, itchy, massage for arthritis, and repelling insects.  Or if you're not at an emu farm, buy it anyway from a legit business.

For a decade now, I've been using emu oil for all of the things listed above except acne and rosacea, and it has worked very well in every case.

In VN climate, you'll need to store it in the fridge to prevent/slow down its process of turning rancid.

Always got asked to take some home by friends, never used it myself.. haha no wrinkles just yet

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:

Sounds like a process that might help a lot of aging expats postpone a similar ending...

wink.png

Ciambella
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Always got asked to take some home by friends, never used it myself.. haha no wrinkles just yet

Like using sunblock before going outside to prevent possible sunburn, you wear moisturizer and anti-wrinkles before they appear on your face, neck, hands, etc.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles