Menu
Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

paulmsn
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Just been reading there could be stricter controls coming soon. With growing numbers if cases reported all over the city
Oddly yesterday they go ahead with a mass testing center in D8 that reportedly had thousands  people turn up to

Part of the growing case numbers is because of the testing.  I am guessing that they are finding people who didn't know they were infected and people who were reluctant to see a doctor for their symptoms, so the count goes up with the additions.  At least they seem to have arranged the lines better -- the early photos I saw had people standing bunched up together, but more recent photos show them sitting in chairs spaced further apart.

goodolboy
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Just been reading there could be stricter controls coming soon. With growing numbers if cases reported all over the city
Oddly yesterday they go ahead with a mass testing center in D8 that reportedly had thousands  people turn up to

Part of the growing case numbers is because of the testing.  I am guessing that they are finding people who didn't know they were infected and people who were reluctant to see a doctor for their symptoms, so the count goes up with the additions.  At least they seem to have arranged the lines better -- the early photos I saw had people standing bunched up together, but more recent photos show them sitting in chairs spaced further apart.

early photos I saw had people standing bunched up together, but more recent photos show them sitting in chairs spaced further apart

I agree, the photos I have seen about the testing on Sunday here at Celadon City were well organised & everyone spaced apart.  But I can tell you the first tests 2 weeks back were a total shambles & if ever there was a chance of me getting Covid it was then.

mtgmike
Jlgarbutt wrote:

I'm in Go Vap.  We had to get tested at one of those mass testings a month ago.  Three days ago they did testing again, but only one person per household had to go to represent the house this time, which was much faster with more distancing.  My wife and I don't go out anymore, not since the first round of testing over a month ago.  I'm hesitant to get deliveries too, but we can't do without food.

Anyone know the current policy, if you have incidental contact with a person classified as F0, say through food delivery, do they let you stay in your house or do you go to centralized quarantine?  What if someone in the house tests positive in one of these screenings?  Are you permitted to make arrangements for your pets if you are sent to quarantine elsewhere?

OceanBeach92107
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

That's significant, and as I (and many others) predicted.

I am 100% for 100% testing, because testing confirms the logic that the virus must be more widespread than official scientific data suggests it to be.

Yet testing of living people doesn't reveal any more deaths, only cases of infection.

So, the more testing that is done worldwide, the lower the percentage of fatalities will be.

Basic math.

The virus will not be any less fatal, and all virus-related deaths will be true tragedies.

However, instead of the media and others alarming people with a possibility of 2% of infections resulting in fatalities, the actual rate of 2 tenths to 3 tenths of a percentage point will finally be reported, in line with the estimates by the Governor of New York and the infamous Bakersfield physicians on YouTube.

paulmsn
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

That's significant, and as I (and many others) predicted.

I am 100% for 100% testing, because testing confirms the logic that the virus must be more widespread than official scientific data suggests it to be.

Yet testing of living people doesn't reveal any more deaths, only cases of infection.

So, the more testing that is done worldwide, the lower the percentage of fatalities will be.

Basic math.

The virus will not be any less fatal, and all virus-related deaths will be true tragedies.

However, instead of the media and others alarming people with a possibility of 2% of infections resulting in fatalities, the actual rate of 2 tenths to 3 tenths of a percentage point will finally be reported, in line with the estimates by the Governor of New York and the infamous Bakersfield physicians on YouTube.

However, no, that won't happen.  Odd that you believe a politician and lying doctors over most of the experts.  You also seem to have forgotten that most people think that COVID-19 deaths have been significantly underreported worldwide.  Also note that Cuomo has been shown to have undercounted nursing home deaths and the state is still undercounting deaths because of the process they use.

goodolboy

Opposite our old apartment block at Moscow Tower Q12 there is an empty apartment block, really nice place too but never had people in it. It was built by the government to house people displaced for some road project but the people refused to go in (well that's what the story was) anyways its now been turned into an emergency Covid hospital & that's 100% Ms My showed me the photos she had been sent of it.

https://thanhnien.vn/thoi-su/tphcm-trie … odarmtMtf4

goodolboy

I personally tend to take a more pragmatic view of things & dont look at stats from experts & scientists & all I know is this...

Today on BBC news they featured the situation in Indonesia & interviewed 1 a coffin maker & 2 a grave digger & both said they had seen a significant like 3 x increase in business since the latest outbreak there.

Oxygen in very short supply from  normal.

Now it was the same in India & Brazil & that for me tells it all for me to make my own summery of the situation & stay locked up tight until hopefully it blows over.
Also if you are stats driven I saw a graph on the situation in UK right now on BBC & yes the Covid positives are going up quite drastically but on the other hand the hospital intake & deaths are nothing like previous outbreaks & the common denominator  is the vaccine.

Jlgarbutt

Someone the poorly organised mass testing last week we have now been informed that have positive test results in one block (Lexington E) which is mainly shops and offices.

These workers are often seen buying snacks for vinmart for lunch and eating outside with no masks despite signs.

goodolboy

so ends another day in the dog house, more TV, more PS2, more free food deliveries & can you believe it a nice letter & envelope from Gamuda Land with a gift voucher in it for 500,000vnd. Now how generous is that!

mtgmike
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Someone the poorly organised mass testing last week we have now been informed that have positive test results in one block (Lexington E) which is mainly shops and offices.

These workers are often seen buying snacks for vinmart for lunch and eating outside with no masks despite signs.

Do you know how many days after the testing they informed people about the results?  Our hem got the test again 3 days ago, nothing's happened here yet since then.  My in laws got tested 4 days ago, officials showed up to cordon off some houses near them this morning.

We haven't been out of the house since the first round of testing at the end of May.  From what I can hear outside, it sounds like business as usual for some, cards, beer, and karaoke at night, kids playing during the day.

goodolboy

a message from a neighbour also in lock down. Hope no adverts in my photo attached.

Nếu ai đó nói với bạn : ở chung cư chán lắm, chẳng quen thân ai, đi làm về là đóng cửa nhà nào biết nhà nấy thôi. Thì ngồi xuống đây, để tui kể cho nghe về block F của tui nhé 😁
Một ngày đẹp trời tự dưng lầu 9 phong toả vì có F1. Tất cả mọi người trong block F đều lo lắng. Nhưng thay vì lo lắng mình dính Covid theo, thì nỗi lo lắng đó lại là “liệu lầu 9 có đủ đồ ăn trong 2 tuần phong toả ko?”  Và thế là rất nhiều mạnh thường quân lên tiếng, những gói đồ tiếp tế thực phẩm gạo, mì của hội phụ nữ phường, những bữa ăn sáng của cư dân trong block F và block khác, những chai trà sữa ngon lành liên tục đc đem tới cho lầu 9.
Bất chợt lầu 9 block F trở thành con cưng của cả chung cư. Ai cũng quan tâm và mong họ đc an toàn, bình an và nhanh chóng đc gỡ phong toả để có thể tự do đi lại.
Covid đi qua có thể để lại nhiều tàn dư về việc ảnh hưởng kinh tế, nhưng chắc chắn, nhờ có Covid mà con người gần nhau nhiều hơn, có thời gian ngồi lại để lắng nghe nhau, để tự nhìn nhận lại bản thân trong suốt khoảng thời gian bận rộn mình đã thiếu sót những gì 😊
Sài Gòn ơi, mạnh mẽ lên nhé 💪
Thương lắm ❤️

food-3.png

Erikji

Who can tell me the difference between the Directive 16 and the Directive 10 ?
Now Saigon applies the directive 16 for 2 weeks minimum.

OceanBeach92107
goodolboy wrote:

a message from a neighbour also in lock down. Hope no adverts in my photo attached.

*snip* (Vietnamese letters wouldn't copy for me)

Google translate says:

"If someone tells you: living in an apartment is very boring, do not know anyone, come home from work and close the door and know each house.  So sit down and let me tell you about my F block.
One fine day, suddenly the 9th floor was blocked because there was F1.  Everyone in block F is worried.  But instead of worrying about getting Covid, that worry is "will the 9th floor have enough food during the 2 weeks of lockdown?"  And so many sponsors spoke up, food supplies of rice and noodles from the ward's women's association, breakfasts of residents in block F and other blocks, delicious milk tea bottles were continuously received.  brought to the 9th floor.
Suddenly, the 9th floor, block F, became the darling of the whole apartment.  Everyone is concerned and wishes them to be safe, at peace, and soon to be lifted from the blockade so they can move around freely.
The passing of Covid may leave many remnants of economic impact, but certainly, thanks to Covid, people are closer together, have time to sit back and listen to each other, to reflect on themselves in the future.  What have I been missing all this busy time.
Saigon, be strong.
I love you so much."

goodolboy

I know everyone can just click & look at the Government Portal by them selves, but for them that dont know here is the latest news from them on the HCMC covid situation & restrictions from their Portal.

http://news.chinhphu.vn/Home/People-ent … /44507.vgp

Ciambella
Erikji wrote:

Here's the comparison, just for you!  wink.png

Directive 10:  People should only go out when really necessary.
Directive 16:  Social isolation. People must stay home, only go out when really necessary.

Directive 10:  Gatherings of more than 3 people in public are not allowed, except in offices, hospitals, and schools.
Directive 16:  Gatherings of more than 2 people in public are not allowed, except in offices, hospitals, and schools.

Directive 10:  Social distancing is 1.5 meters at the minimum.
Directive 16:  Social distancing is 2 meters at the minimum.

Directive 10:  All non-essential businesses and pop-up markets must cease.
Directive 16:  All business operations and services are temporarily suspended.

Directive 10:  Production and trading establishments, essential services, factories, and workshops are allowed to operate but epidemic prevention must be ensured.
Directive 16:  Establishments dealing in all goods including essential goods and services are operational but must strictly implement anti-epidemic measures.

Directive 10:  All passenger transportation must cease.
Directive 16:  Passenger transportation is not allowed unless absolutely necessary.

Directive 10:  Food and essential goods transportation, workers shuttles, and transporting production materials are allowed but epidemic prevention must be ensured.
Directive 16:  All movements from the epidemic area to other localities must cease, except in special cases.

mtgmike

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/988642/h … vices.html

I'm hearing takeaway is also being suspended.  Apparently you can still order food delivery from the supermarkets, but not from restaurants.  That's what this seems to indicate and what my wife is telling me, but I'm not sure, correct me if I'm mistaken. 

This article also mentions more locations for centralized quarantine for F0s, including asymptomatic patients.  I guess this means if someone tests positive they are going to one of these places whether they fall ill or not?  Maybe the home quarantine is only a possibility for F1s and above?

goodolboy

if you go to the supermarket, be prepared for a possible long wait. A friend sent me this photo taken at AEON supermarket  Tan Phu.

long-wait.png

jayrozzetti23
mtgmike wrote:

I'm hearing takeaway is also being suspended.  Apparently you can still order food delivery from the supermarkets, but not from restaurants.  That's what this seems to indicate and what my wife is telling me, but I'm not sure, correct me if I'm mistaken.

It seems that you are correct. This article mentions that:

Starting Friday, HCMC will halt all lottery services, either via retailers or street vendors, as well as food and drink takeaways for 15 days.

The rules are part of social distancing measures for Ho Chi Minh City to curb the Covid-19 spread.

It will also suspend all motorcycle taxi drivers, either traditional or ride-hailing, for the 15-day period, but shipping services are to continue.

For the food and drink takeaways, even shipping services via food delivery apps must also be suspended.

Source: HCMC suspends lottery, takeaway services
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hcmc- … 05943.html

paulmsn

I went to the small Coop in my neighborhood and the newer grocery store near it, and though there were multiple people in each store, it wasn't too crowded.  I couldn't buy everything I wanted because they were out of some things, but I am fairly stocked up now.  I will go to the big Ministop late tonight again -- maybe they will have tomatoes and cantaloupe pieces.

Jimpdxusa

Much of what you are describing happened here. Looks like VN is taking it seriously and rolling out some of these measures quicker that the US. That is great to see.

It will get better.  Here in USA we seem be over the hump and cases are down significant. When it first started people kind of freaked out.  Store shelves were empty of many items like toilet paper and staple foods we’re quickly gone. Stores put rations in place such as 1 or 2 per customer. Eventually when more was learned about the virus and supply chain adjusted store shelves were filling again.

Here is how the USA combatted the virus.  (Not saying it’s the only way, or right way, just our approach)

Vaccinate first responders, healthcare workers, teachers, grocery employees & elderly first .  Then go down in age step by step until vaccines are readily available as younger people are more resilient to the virus.  As vaccines become available make it easy for the population to get it.  I got mine via a drive through location when my age group was allowed.

Schools, businesses and social services moved as much of their offerings online as possible.

It will be ok and It will get better but follow basic guidelines. If not for you, for your loved ones and fellow citizens.

Wash your hands regularly, like a lot, like too much..

Use hand sanitizer if possible.

Wear a mask anytime/every time you go out.

Be diligent with social distancing. No seeing friends, family members outside of your four walls. Use zoom/FaceTime or any other video communication to stay connected with friends & loved ones.  You can even make it fun.  Heck I even had a weekly video happy-hour with my pub friends where we all made cocktail at home and visited.  We had drinking games, we had 10 questions, we did two truths and a lie and they had to guess.  Other groups we played games online and used the chat feature.  Family was just group video sessions.  Heck I saw my family more vie video than I typically do in real life.  There are many ways to stay connected you just need to be creative. 

Try to shop off hours, later or earlier to avoid the masses.

If you do need to get out for fresh air or sunshine go to places that are not crowded such as parks or hikes in nature where others are less likely to be there.

Until vaccine was readily available the only time we went out was to get food.  Some people are mission critical and need to get out such as police, medical, etc. respect that and don’t try to sneak out and blend in.

Get the shot(s) as soon as they are available.

Be patient and let the process and guidelines do their job and it will get better.

It blows me away why many Americans won’t do these basic measures due to f-ing politics.  Do your part for your loved ones and fellow citizens.  We all need to do our part.

It will get better.

That was our approach.  Again not right or wrong, just how we did.  Tenses, first person and such, well a writer I will never be. Don’t mean to sound preachy if it comes across that way.

Ciambella
Jimpdxusa wrote:

Tenses, first person and such, well a writer I will never be.

If that sentence didn't come from a writer, then you're a very good impersonator.  top.png

paulmsn

I went to get some money and food around 11:20 pm, but the TPBank ATM I use was empty.  I went to another one in District 1, but it had a sign that said "ATM for lease".  The third closest one is in District 3 near the big Coop, but I didn't have much time before midnight, so I gave up and went to the big Ministop. I managed to get some very unripe tomatoes and some carrots, but they had no packaged cantaloupe pieces or grapefruit slices, so I bought a little combo pack of fresh fruit and some Dole fruit and gelatin cups.  I only know one of the fruits in the package, mango, but I guess I'll find out how the other ones taste. 

I saw two police cars with their lights flashing in the neighborhood.  One of them was talking over their loudspeaker, but I don't know Vietnamese.  Maybe they were saying, "Go home now, you idiots."

OceanBeach92107
Jimpdxusa wrote:

Much of what you are describing happened here. Looks like VN is taking it seriously and rolling out some of these measures quicker that the US. That is great to see.

It will get better.  Here in USA we seem be over the hump and cases are down significant. When it first started people kind of freaked out.  Store shelves were empty of many items like toilet paper and staple foods we’re quickly gone. Stores put rations in place such as 1 or 2 per customer. Eventually when more was learned about the virus and supply chain adjusted store shelves were filling again.

Here is how the USA combatted the virus.  (Not saying it’s the only way, or right way, just our approach)

Vaccinate first responders, healthcare workers, teachers, grocery employees & elderly first .  Then go down in age step by step until vaccines are readily available as younger people are more resilient to the virus.  As vaccines become available make it easy for the population to get it.  I got mine via a drive through location when my age group was allowed.

Schools, businesses and social services moved as much of their offerings online as possible.

It will be ok and It will get better but follow basic guidelines. If not for you, for your loved ones and fellow citizens.

Be diligent with social distancing. No seeing friends, family members outside of your four walls. Use zoom/FaceTime or any other video communication to stay connected with friends & loved ones.  You can even make it fun.  Heck I even had a weekly video happy-hour with my pub friends where we all made cocktail at home and visited.  We had drinking games, we had 10 questions, we did two truths and a lie and they had to guess.  Other groups we played games online and used the chat feature.  Family was just group video sessions.  Heck I saw my family more vie video than I typically do in real life.  There are many ways to stay connected you just need to be creative. 

If you do need to get out for fresh air or sunshine go to places that are not crowded such as parks or hikes in nature where others are less likely to be there.

Until vaccine was readily available the only time we went out was to get food.  Some people are mission critical and need to get out such as police, medical, etc. respect that and don’t try to sneak out and blend in.

Be patient and let the process and guidelines do their job and it will get better.

It blows me away why many Americans won’t do these basic measures due to f-ing politics.  Do your part for your loved ones and fellow citizens.  We all need to do our part.

It will get better.

That was our approach.  Again not right or wrong, just how we did.  Tenses, first person and such, well a writer I will never be. Don’t mean to sound preachy if it comes across that way.

Maybe you would also recommend that vegetarians avoid eating meat, or tell members of AA to avoid drinking alcohol?

You seem like a nice, well-intentioned guy.

But your post (and a previous post hijacking a thread in the Danang forum) show that it's more important for you to share what's going on in the USA than it is for you to learn what has been going on in Vietnam.

It's a bit mind boggling that you would hold the USA's example up as some sort of guidance as to how Vietnam (including foreigners who live in Vietnam) should best go forward from this point.

It would truly serve you well to spend some time educating yourself about the total pandemic experience so far in Vietnam.

THIGV
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It would truly serve you well to spend some time educating yourself about the total pandemic experience so far in Vietnam.

I am sure that you are aware that I dislike criticism of people who, in a well meaning manner, describe their own experience.  However, I do agree that the US model at least until 2021 is hardly one to emulate.  Even today, the Federal nature of the governmental structure means 50 different sets of rules and vastly different rates of immunization.  I am sure that if it were not for financial constraints, Vietnam would have inoculated the vasts majority of its population by now.

goodolboy
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Jimpdxusa wrote:

It will get better.

Maybe you would also recommend that vegetarians avoid eating meat, or tell members of AA to avoid drinking alcohol?

You seem like a nice, well-intentioned guy.

But your post (and a previous post hijacking a thread in the Danang forum) show that it's more important for you to share what's going on in the USA than it is for you to learn what has been going on in Vietnam.

It's a bit mind boggling that you would hold the USA's example up as some sort of guidance as to how Vietnam (including foreigners who live in Vietnam) should best go forward from this point.

Yea I read that post, had a chuckle & thought hummmmmmmm USA & UK for that matter would not be in my top 10 countries to quote as how to handle Covid thats for sure.

Lots of other countries out there you could quote as a role model in their response to Covid including Vietnam!

Jimpdxusa

Fair enough.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

goodolboy
paulmsn wrote:

I went to get some money and food around 11:20 pm, but the TPBank ATM I use was empty.  I went to another one in District 1, but it had a sign that said "ATM for lease".  The third closest one is in District 3 near the big Coop, but I didn't have much time before midnight, so I gave up and went to the big Ministop. I managed to get some very unripe tomatoes and some carrots, but they had no packaged cantaloupe pieces or grapefruit slices, so I bought a little combo pack of fresh fruit and some Dole fruit and gelatin cups.  I only know one of the fruits in the package, mango, but I guess I'll find out how the other ones taste. 

I saw two police cars with their lights flashing in the neighborhood.  One of them was talking over their loudspeaker, but I don't know Vietnamese.  Maybe they were saying, "Go home now, you idiots."

Round here there are at least 4 Celadon City groups on FB & some on Zalo. Every day there are shops & individuals advertising everything from cooked food, fresh veg to face masks & all deliver to your door FOC & the prices are very reasonable. Yesterday there was lots of photos & posts about disruptions to supply chain of predominantly fresh fruit & veg , one photo showed long lines of trucks heading to HCMC  on the main Tay Ninh Moc Bai road. This morning though things seem to have got a bit better with lots of posts with fresh vege & fruit available.
Yesterday I still managed to get potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, pumpkin, apples, grapes, pineapple & oranges delivered to the floor 9 security point ( we are still in apartment quarantine 8 days to go )  but for some reason no one could supply beetroot.

As a follow up to my previous post & photo about the possible long waits at supermarkets (AEON Tan Phu) my friend Mr Don went there last evening & gave up. He then went to Big C Pandora & only had 5 minutes to sit & wait to get in & everything was in plentiful supply there he said.

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:
Erikji wrote:

Here's the comparison, just for you!  wink.png

Directive 10:  People should only go out when really necessary.
Directive 16:  Social isolation. People must stay home, only go out when really necessary.

Directive 10:  Gatherings of more than 3 people in public are not allowed, except in offices, hospitals, and schools.
Directive 16:  Gatherings of more than 2 people in public are not allowed, except in offices, hospitals, and schools.

Directive 10:  Social distancing is 1.5 meters at the minimum.
Directive 16:  Social distancing is 2 meters at the minimum.

Directive 10:  All non-essential businesses and pop-up markets must cease.
Directive 16:  All business operations and services are temporarily suspended.

Directive 10:  Production and trading establishments, essential services, factories, and workshops are allowed to operate but epidemic prevention must be ensured.
Directive 16:  Establishments dealing in all goods including essential goods and services are operational but must strictly implement anti-epidemic measures.

Directive 10:  All passenger transportation must cease.
Directive 16:  Passenger transportation is not allowed unless absolutely necessary.

Directive 10:  Food and essential goods transportation, workers shuttles, and transporting production materials are allowed but epidemic prevention must be ensured.
Directive 16:  All movements from the epidemic area to other localities must cease, except in special cases.

In line with that, the US Embassy sent this email update today:
~
Ho Chi Minh City: OnJuly 9, 2021, Vietnamese authorities implemented Directive 16 in Ho Chi Minh City and surrounding areas for 15 days. This directive requires many types of businesses that had been able to operate under the previous directives to close, stipulates a 30 percent in-presence staffing limit for those entities allowed to stay open, and requires travelers from Ho Chi Minh City to other locations to self-quarantine at home for at least seven days and conduct mandatory COVID-19 testing.

U.S. citizens are reminded that under this citywide social distancing order, residents and visitors should only go out to buy food and medicine, seek medical attention, or work at locations identified as essential. The U.S. Mission in Vietnam advises U.S. citizens to follow guidelines imposed by Vietnamese authorities and stay home as much as possible.

Directive 16 in Ho Chi Minh City imposes additional limits on our ability to provide consular services and keep our staff and customers safe. Therefore, the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City will be closed for all but emergency services to U.S. citizens until at least July 26, 2021

goodolboy

nuff said.......sort of says it all really about how it is in HCMC now .

https://tuoitre.vn/o-quan-12-xin-qua-go … 710603.htm

dionstravels

there's 24 letters in the greek alphabet
we're only at the 4th letter so far
with delta

6019dca07ed9a.image.jpg?width=400&height=225

THIGV
dionstravels wrote:

there's 24 letters in the greek alphabet
we're only at the 4th letter so far
with delta

Actually we are up to Lambda, which I think is the 11th letter, so nearly half way.  Not all variants end up being significant.  Lambda is presently classified by WHO as a variant of interest (VOI).

WHO Tracking SARS-CoV-2 variants

goodolboy

Day 9 quarentene/lock down. Want to share this photo that shows the Vietnamese spirit in adversity at its best. So this guy has set up a veg delivery service from his English school so that Celadon City residents have easy access to fresh veg & he is just one of about 20 I see on FB now. Yesterday the free food deliveries (dick eggs) continued for us on floor level F9 & I managed to get payment deliveries of bananas, oranges & kiwi fruit. I also ordered 1kg apples from a lady in block E who is selling them. She delivered them to the quarentine collection point & refused point blank to accept any payment for them. I felt so embarised about it but grateful at the same time for her generosity.
On a slightly less posative note I saw a video that is circulating about the situation at the new temp hospital that is set up D12 beside my old apartment block & lets just say it was just a bit worrying to say the least. I cant post it on here but anyone who has any doubts about the situation in HCMC it would certainly give them food for thought.

veg-1.png

veg.png

Ciambella

Vung Tau will be under lockdown for 30 days starting Monday.  I haven't seen the official document yet, but UBND has been telling everybody to prepare for what they said is a "total lockdown."

Last week, for some strange reason, I ordered a 5kg bag of Barilla spaghetti, made a big batch of bolognese sauce and a batch of pesto for my husband; they're all in Mason jars.  Yesterday, I made a big batch of tofu in tomato sauce for myself (I've stopped eating meat for almost 4 months now) and store it also.  In addition, we have every needed ingredient for different dishes of nouilles, so we won't need to buy groceries for a long time. 

I have thousands of ebooks and audiobooks to read/listen, half a dozen projects to do, and enough music for husband to listen to for the rest of his life.  We have a treadmill, a stationary bike, and two ab crunchers in our apartment.  We're set.

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:

Vung Tau will be under lockdown for 30 days starting Monday.  I haven't seen the official document yet, but UBND has been telling everybody to prepare for what they said is a "total lockdown."

Last week, for some strange reason, I ordered a 5kg bag of Barilla spaghetti, made a big batch of bolognese sauce and a batch of pesto for my husband; they're all in Mason jars now.  Yesterday, I made a big batch of tofu in tomato sauce for myself (I've stopped eating meat for two months now) and store it also.  In addition, we have every needed ingredient for different dishes of nouilles, so we won't need to buy groceries for a long time. 

I have thousands of ebooks and audiobooks to read/listen, half a dozen projects to do, and enough music for husband to listen to for the rest of his life.  We have a treadmill, a stationary bike, and two ab crunchers in our apartment.  We're set.

Not to mention, escape to the rooftop with some great views when you get cabin fever in your apartment.

And the stairwell is wonderful exercise.

Ciambella
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Not to mention, escape to the rooftop with some great views when you get cabin fever in your apartment.

And the stairwell is wonderful exercise.

Yes on both.

Budman1

When they pull these folks off the street:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/i … 07260.html

It's time to stock up on groceries, supplys, beer and smokes, because things are gonna get tight.

Rick

jayrozzetti23
Ciambella wrote:

Vung Tau will be under lockdown for 30 days starting Monday.  I haven't seen the official document yet, but UBND has been telling everybody to prepare for what they said is a "total lockdown".

How are they defining a "total lockdown"?

Is it similar to the current situation in HCMC, i.e. people can go to the bank, supermarket, pharmacy, hospital?

Ciambella
johnross23 wrote:

Is it similar to the current situation in HCMC, i.e. people can go to the bank, supermarket, pharmacy, hospital?

That's the part I can't verify. 

Logically speaking, we should be under Directive 16 as Saigon.  Literally speaking, the 3rd paragraph of the directive indicated that  "[everyone to] follow the principle of family being isolated from other families, village isolated from other villages, commune isolated from other commune, district isolated from other districts, province isolated from other provinces."

This morning, UBND Ward 2 told vendors, shop owners, and anyone who listened that it's a "total lockdown, no one can be out, every family should prepare to have enough food for 30 days."

Personally, I think they're being too enthusiastic.

BTW, even though the bank is essential to the economy, going to the bank is not an essential activity.  It's up to the local authority to allow or disallow it.

There were long lines in front of several ATMs today; semi-hidden food shops on Le Loi (off the roundabout -- a great street for fresh and take away food before and during Covid, up until now that is) ran out of everything; Lotte Mart wasn't crowded but half of the bins in the refrigerator section were empty.

OceanBeach92107
johnross23 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Vung Tau will be under lockdown for 30 days starting Monday.  I haven't seen the official document yet, but UBND has been telling everybody to prepare for what they said is a "total lockdown".

When Danang was on "total lockdown", those were the limitations.

No outdoor activity for the sake of exercise was allowed.

So if you were walking on the street or riding a bike and you were stopped, you had to show that you were traveling to an essential activity, such as one of the things you've listed.

You might recall that I had said it was very good for people who owned a grocery store that also served food.

Because the grocery store could stay open while their café/restaurant had to stop service, but if you knew the owner, they would make coffee and some simple food items back in the kitchen and you could carry that out packaged in with your groceries.

I'm sure that was technically illegal, but for some of the foreigners that was the only way they were getting anything to eat.

paulmsn

On a brighter note, Da Nang has reopened their beaches again.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles