Menu
Expat.com

DAILY LIFE IN VIETNAM DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC 2020-2021

Last activity 16 April 2022 by goodolboy

Jlgarbutt
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

That's an interesting update.. since our testing a couple of weeks back we have heard nothing since. Guessing the one person that test positive was enough?

As for the shops.. in some places very unusual things seem to seek out faster than stuff I would have thought locals buy first.

Local bakery stops doing ordinary Bahn Mi and just sells rye bread instead.. but for some reason they add fruit to the mix .

The nasal Saab thing doesn't sound like much fun..

Maybe they wanted to make sure they got everyone by going floor to floor. 

In my neighborhood, three stores used to sell packages of sliced fruit of various kinds, but after the shutdown, I could find none until just a couple of days ago.  The grocery I usually go to has successively had a cooler case full of beef and nothing else, then only pork, then only chicken and now back to pork.  I guess it's just whatever they can get that day.

I see some shops fill empty shelves with more product that is already on other shelves.

Today My Market have s lunch time delivery so go to look, now considering their limited freezer space I was surprised to see the entire delivery consisted of around 3000 frozen pizzas and nothing else.. either they take anything supplier offers or someone has a hankering for pizza nearby.

Slowly but surely shops have less and less choice .

MarkinNam
goodolboy wrote:

Day 7 self imposed isolation in apartment :-

Update from yesterday, Q 12 Tan Thoi Nhat

Barrier tape on main entrance to the park below my place torn down again this morning, park pretty busy, badminton people back, kick the shuttle cock thingy people back, mum's with kids out having a stroll, pretty much back to normal at the park really & not much signs of social distancing message getting through. I miss the morning hot ladies aerobics display though, ah well cant have everything.
Ms My made a run to AEON CITYMART yesterday (double bonus points 30th) she was  all masked up & said everyone entering the shop had to have temperature taken now.
Gonna keep an eye weekly on the air pollution levels just as a matter of interest as the lock down her gets more intense or relaxed whatever & however it pans out.
Opposite the apartment work goes on unabated on a nice house being built & have watched its progress with interest, start to finish will be less that 6 months I think.

https://aqicn.org/city/vietnam/ho-chi-m … consulate/

https://i.ibb.co/ssKZdMx/20191118-141545.jpg https://i.ibb.co/8Ph9V47/20191220-144620.jpg https://i.ibb.co/4ssDQ1Q/20200331-084148.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/F6RhwNK/20200331-085622.jpg

The boss must be cracking the whip, workers still at it

MarkinNam

Life sounds like a Graham Greene novel

Jlgarbutt

Just be notified by building management that another round of testing will take place after the hit and miss mass testing.

Each floor will be called seperately with one mber for each apartment having the test.

However this time, we are.to report to the designated area and take a test kit.. and swab our own nostrils... 😮

Has anyone else head this sort of thing ? Not sure I like the idea of sticking something that far up my nose... How far is too far?🤔

goodolboy
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Just be notified by building management that another round of testing will take place after the hit and miss mass testing.

Each floor will be called seperately with one mber for each apartment having the test.

However this time, we are.to report to the designated area and take a test kit.. and swab our own nostrils... 😮

Has anyone else head this sort of thing ? Not sure I like the idea of sticking something that far up my nose... How far is too far?🤔

The last tests we got was same as that other guy, 2 nostrils & the swab right in to the hilt, wiggle & turn a few times & that was it done. Cant see anyone doing that voluntarily yikes.png

Jlgarbutt

Yeah you're not selling it to me.. the though of self testing is not a pleasant one..

paulmsn
Jlgarbutt wrote:

...Not sure I like the idea of sticking something that far up my nose... How far is too far?🤔

If you start to black out, you've gone too far.

paulmsn

Some more restricitions:

"Banking and securities services in Ho Chi Minh City will be reduced to minimal levels, while unnecessary construction projects will be suspended, the ministry said in a statement."

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci … 021-07-23/

Also, approval of Nano Covax may be delayed, because Nanogen was asked to send its samples to foreign laboratories for testing and evaluation to ensure objectivity.  I was hoping the ministers would approve it at their meeting on 22 July.

goodolboy

A snapshot of some life round here in pictures during lock down Tan Phu

COVID-PICS.png

gobot

I am catching up on the forum, started with this thread, 3 pages back, early July.
All the doom and gloom about case numbers... Comical because that was nothing.
I'll add this post for posterity.
Today Saturday night Jul 24, English VNExpress sez Vietnam has a new daily record, 9225 cases.
Google "vietnam covid" for the graph. Well, that graph is a day old.

AITNXp.png

The lockdown isn't working, is it?  Yet wouldn't it be worse without a lockdown?

I blame the ferocious delta. It is striking a virgin population, very few have antibodies because border closures protected the populace from the weak early variants.
What we are seeing is March 2020 but going straight to delta outbreak.
Everyone will get this eventually, plus there are already multiple deltas and epsilon.

Medscape medical newsletter has good daily articles. Signup is free. Here's one:
'Dealing With a Different Beast': Why Delta Has Doctors Worried

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/95 … 0_MSCPEDIThttps://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 30008.html

paulmsn

I went shopping using the coupons that restrict us to certain days.  The doorman wanted to know where I was going, so I showed him the coupons and pointed down the street.  The coupon plan didn't reduce the wait outside -- 20-30 minutes.  Inside, I still felt too close to others, but then the aisles are tight in these neighborhood grocery stores.  Today they had only beef, so I bought a package.  I got some vegetables and bananas and dragonfruit, although the bananas are very green. 

Somehow, because the line was not neatly formed and split in two near the entrance, about 5 people who came after me got in ahead of me.  One simply darted in while the guy at the door was handing out bags of banh mi to customers.

I also went to the Ministop because the grocery didn't have ice cream, candy or the drinks I wanted.   ​They had one package of cubed fresh cantaloupe, which made me happy. 

Because I couldn't carry enough bottles to fully replenish my supply of drinks, I will go again on Tuesday to a different grocery.  Maybe they will have pork or chicken there.

I don't like that I can't go to the big Ministop just outside my neighborhood, but my friend has it much worse.  She has to make a food order and the guards bring it to the gate -- she can't go out at all.

Swee Loke

You are still going out and exposing yourself? Pay a little more, order stuff online and have them delivered,  just be a little safe. The latest count was 81k cases and HCM has close to 5k daily and I hear ambulances almost too frequently to be of comfort.

Jlgarbutt
Swee Loke wrote:

You are still going out and exposing yourself? Pay a little more, order stuff online and have them delivered,  just be a little safe. The latest count was 81k cases and HCM has close to 5k daily and I hear ambulances almost too frequently to be of comfort.

I agree risks are higher but I still prefer to go myself, partly because it's just a short trip out and hellos to break up the monotony but also if you are choosing your own fresh produce you get to check before you buy

As for the locals who decide waiting in line outside the shop or even choosing to ignore the limit on customers per store .. well that's just plain selfish

Also worthy of note.. with the last lockdown numbers of cases were still rising despite many people using grocery delivery... And it has been mentioned since that buyers and delivery riders are to avoid direct contact.. maybe there are cases linked to or traceable to these riders. You don't have to look too hard to find groups sitting around waiting for the next job chatting with each other without masks

Erikji
gobot wrote:

What we are seeing is March 2020 but going straight to delta outbreak.

That's the result of the "zero covid - zero vaccine" strategy (Vietnam, Japan, Australia, etc.).
These arrogant countries did not find necessary to pre-order Pfizer in the beginning of the year.
Now they're deadlocked.

goodolboy

Here at Celadon City Tan Phu things just got a whole lot tougher getting deliveries of groceries. Just put an order in to my fruit & veg online supplier & she told me that after 6 pm the police have told her no more deliveries.
Ms My just showed me a video district 7 about police telling "shippers" (motorbike delivery guys) to disperse & go home.
Looking like we are in for a long haul this time.

Jlgarbutt

I heard rumours to that effect.. not good outlook.
I'm guessing delivery orders are unintentionally helping the spread..

Ciambella
Jlgarbutt wrote:

In VT, volunteer delivery people (there are many) are tested every 3 days free of charge.  Shipping companies are charged a minimal fee for their paid employees.

The most recent test was two days ago on July 23; all 798 delivery people were test and all 798 results were negative.

paulmsn
Swee Loke wrote:

No thanks, I can't see buying fruits and vegetables, or meat, online without seeing them.  Since my previous method of going to a convenience store at 3 am to avoid crowds has been stymied (just outside my neighborhood, with guards patrolling the exit), this is the only option.

OceanBeach92107

I've deleted my account. It should be gone sometime after Monday when they get a chance to process it.

I wanted to leave everyone with this video of my friend, saxophonist Trần Mạnh Tuấn, reaching out to entertain and comfort and encourage so many people on lockdown quarantine in many high-rise buildings in Ho Chi Minh City.

YouTube video link

Peace, good health, prosperity and good luck to everyone!

OB

goodolboy
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I've deleted my account. It should be gone sometime after Monday when they get a chance to process it.

I wanted to leave everyone with this video of my friend, saxophonist Trần Mạnh Tuấn, reaching out to entertain and comfort and encourage so many people on lockdown quarantine in many high-rise buildings in Ho Chi Minh City.

YouTube video link

Peace, good health, prosperity and good luck to everyone!

OB

Good luck OB we have had our moments but I for one will miss your banter, advice & comments on the forum, gonna be kind of boring without you big_smile.pngone.png

Ciambella
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Enjoy your free time away from the forum, and see you at the other places.

goodolboy

Last night I made up an online order to my basket for delivery from AEON Tan Phu & could have placed the order but wanted to add to it in the morning. Alan not lucky, went in online this morning & could not add to the order so hey ho thought oh well I will just order whats on the basket. No No that wont happen either now, no place order tab available.
On the positive side got a sliced (sandwich) bread order I placed last night, a delivery of Pho, 4 big bottles of drinking water & a bunch of bananas all ordered last night hanging on my door first thing this morning.

I know its early early days but I live in hope these days & see (I think) a reduction in the Covid numbers especially in HCMC & Bin Duong on the Ministry of Health page this morning so lets hope the lock downs are having an effect.

Ciambella
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ciambella wrote:

In VT, volunteer delivery people (there are many) are tested every 3 days free of charge.  Shipping companies are charged a minimal fee for their paid employees.

The most recent test was two days ago on July 23; all 798 delivery people were test and all 798 results were negative.

This afternoon, 3 days after the last test, another routine mass test was given to 1095 delivery people in VT. All 1095 results were negative.

Jlgarbutt
Ciambella wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ciambella wrote:

This afternoon, 3 days after the last test, another routine mass test was given to 1095 delivery people in VT. All 1095 results were negative.

Thats good news.. but means what they deliver must somehow carry trace infection..

paulmsn
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Thats good news.. but means what they deliver must somehow carry trace infection..

How do you figure?  You started from a rumor that delivery people were transmitting the virus.  Test results seem to make that unlikely, so you now say the goods themselves must be infected.  There's no logic there, because you've not actually shown that deliveries transmitted the virus in the first place.  Rumors are not fact.

Jlgarbutt
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

How do you figure?  You started from a rumor that delivery people were transmitting the virus.  Test results seem to make that unlikely, so you now say the goods themselves must be infected.  There's no logic there, because you've not actually shown that deliveries transmitted the virus in the first place.  Rumors are not fact.

This isn't a rumour, there have been several cases in HCM of grab riders testing positive.. who come into contact with shoppers and receivers.. if they was no risk of close contact or transference by items then why are we all using hand sanitizer stations at every building ?

paulmsn
Jlgarbutt wrote:

[
This isn't a rumour, there have been several cases in HCM of grab riders testing positive.. who come into contact with shoppers and receivers.. if they was no risk of close contact or transference by items then why are we all using hand sanitizer stations at every building ?

Where did I say there was no risk?  The risk is much less compared to the risk of inhaling someone else's exhalations, though.  Good hygiene is important, but not nearly as important as everyone wearing masks.

Jlgarbutt
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

[

Where did I say there was no risk?  The risk is much less compared to the risk of inhaling someone else's exhalations, though.  Good hygiene is important, but not nearly as important as everyone wearing masks.

Same place I said it was a rumour I'm guessing

goodolboy
Jlgarbutt wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

The bit I dont get is this.....................so from what I can gather Grab & other "shippers" have been stopped doing home deliveries. So now if we want to get groceries we have to physically go to the shops say like Big C, AEON etc, which is not easy round here anyways cos you have a good chance of being stopped by the police & fined. But if you actually make it to the Supermarket or mini market you are then exposed to like hundreds of other shoppers (more now cos online & home delivery is finished) fighting your way shoulder to shoulder at the check outs,  shop workers, check out attendants, contact with people in elevators, parking ticket attendants, etc where as with home delivery you at least have the chance to pay on line, triple mask up, spray hands & go pick them up keeping acceptable distance from the delivery guy. I would think as an individual that way I am less exposed to possibly getting infected.

Jlgarbutt
goodolboy wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

How do you figure?  You started from a rumor that delivery people were transmitting the virus.  Test results seem to make that unlikely, so you now say the goods themselves must be infected.  There's no logic there because you've not actually shown that deliveries transmitted the virus in the first place.  Rumors are not fact.

This isn't a rumor, there have been several cases in HCM of grab riders testing positive.. who come into contact with shoppers and receivers.. if they were no risk of close contact or transference by items then why are we all using hand sanitizer stations at every building?

The bit I don't get is this.....................so from what I can gather Grab & other "shippers" have been stopped doing home deliveries. So now if we want to get groceries we have to physically go to the shops say Big C, AEON, etc, which is not easy around here anyways cos you have a good chance of being stopped by the police & fined. But if you actually make it to the Supermarket or mini-market you are then exposed to hundreds of other shoppers (more now cos online & home delivery is finished) fighting your way shoulder to shoulder at the checkouts,  shop workers, check out attendants, contact with people in elevators, parking ticket attendants, etc whereas with home delivery you at least have the chance to play online, triple mask up, spray hands & go pick them up keeping acceptable distance from the delivery guy. I would think as an individual that way I am less exposed to possibly getting infected.

I agree.. bigger the store surely the bigger the risk. And if you get stopped by the police how can you prove or disprove you are going to the supermarket. Added to which the lack of items on shelves makes getting what you need harder these days. The local bakery near me has a decent choice most days, yesterday trying to buy Banh Mi I watched as one local bought every stick they had for his family without considering those in the line behind him. In total, he walked out with the last 14 sticks

As for deliveries... I had two Shopee orders arrive this morning, admittedly from 4 or 5 days ago... both are definitely non-essential, and still, they deliver.

Too many lose interpretations of what is necessary and what isn't. I have seven seen a few sellers on Shopee offering their goods with "free" fruit to qualify as non-essential.

Ciambella
goodolboy wrote:

The bit I dont get is this.....................so from what I can gather Grab & other "shippers" have been stopped doing home deliveries. So now if we want to get groceries we have to physically go to the shops say like Big C, AEON etc, which is not easy round here anyways cos you have a good chance of being stopped by the police & fined.

They deliver here in VT.  In fact, the number of delivery people has increased by tenfold.  Some are paid; many are volunteers.  They deliver from any essential and non-essential online orders that can go through; groceries from supermarkets, stores, and farms; and charity pick up and deliver.  One charity group just picked up financial donation from me this morning to buy food for mothers with young children.

From our balcony looking down, the only movements we see on the street are from the delivery motorbikes.

Since the lockdown on July 14, no one in our building (it's a small building) has been outside the gate except to accept the deliveries.

goodolboy

Since the lockdown on July 14, no one in our building (it's a small building) has been outside the gate except to accept the deliveries.

same here yikes.png

Jlgarbutt
Ciambella wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

The bit I dont get is this.....................so from what I can gather Grab & other "shippers" have been stopped doing home deliveries. So now if we want to get groceries we have to physically go to the shops say like Big C, AEON etc, which is not easy round here anyways cos you have a good chance of being stopped by the police & fined.

They deliver here in VT.  In fact, the number of delivery people has increased by tenfold.  Some are paid; many are volunteers.  They deliver from any essential and non-essential online orders that can go through; groceries from supermarkets, stores, and farms; and charity pick up and deliver.  One charity group just picked up financial donation from me this morning to buy food for mothers with young children.

From our balcony looking down, the only movements we see on the street are from the delivery motorbikes.

In priced blocks around here are the same.. go to the shop around 9am and there are as many as 20 different delivery riders waiting outside for residents to collect parcels . And from what I can see most is not essentials

Measures are in place to stop direct contact.. but see most use COD so it's kind of unavoidable

paulmsn

I went to check if the guards would still let me go to the big Ministop just outside our neighborhood, but they said no, as expected.  So I went to the little Ministop, which didn't have many of the things I wanted, also as expected.  Still, I've managed to replace most of the things I used up from the three stores I went to and my refrigerator is full.  Now a whole lot of cooking to use the vegetables I have before they wilt.

mtgmike

I developed a tooth infection that is worsening, out in Go Vap, HCMC.  The nearby clinic I typically use is closed.  I found an open clinic in another district.  What transport services are open right now?  If I find transport, what is needed to cross police checkpoints?

goodolboy

Bit naughty I suppose but I got a Shopee delivery Duracell batteries this morning, not essential I suppose. But in my defence 2 were for the air pump for my fish bowel & "Bubbles" the Gold Fish was looking a bit off colour without daily shot of air & the others were for my battery shaver & need to keep up appearances even although I dont go out these days. cool.png

Jlgarbutt

Shopee delivery here too.. except it was broken on arrival... Ah the joys of online shopping. I just wish returns were as easy as say.. Amazon..one day ..

We are still getting non essential deliveries here all the time.. not sure how they classify something as essential

Wonder if that 1/200 trumpeter model kits counts🤔 could argue I'm bored.. haha

paulmsn

HCMC may extend the shutdown for 1-2 weeks, according to this article.  Not unexpected, even though there is finally a slight downward trend in cases nationally.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hcmc- … 32111.html

goodolboy
paulmsn wrote:

HCMC may extend the shutdown for 1-2 weeks, according to this article.  Not unexpected, even though there is finally a slight downward trend in cases nationally.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hcmc- … 32111.html

For me it just shows how well the hard lock down is working & without it the numbers would be in the tens of thousands not thousands & until the vaccination program is well under way & in the high % of population the lock down could be here & needed for some time & now with the 6pm to 6 am curfew in HCMC looks like the government are going all out to contain this outbreak & shows how serious they are taking it.

Here at Celadon City this morning its announced that they have set up temp accommodation & all employees incl security, cleaning, gardening, maintenance & office will now have to live "in house" until further notice.

Ms My's youngest sister works at a factory in Binh Duong & all employees (more than 3,000) have been living & working inside the factory now for more than 2 weeks. Just think how people in the West would react or cope with that!

Erikji

The lockdown will probably for 2 months.

Source: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/nuts- … 29833.html

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles