Menu
Expat.com

Tax on personal household goods when relocating to PR

Last activity 11 May 2020 by wpotvin

Sobedani

We have seen different information on what is taxed when you move it to PR. 

Some sources state that the entire shipment, if over $2500 , is taxable.  Others read that if there is a single commodity or "collection" that is valued at over $2500, then that is taxable.

Does anyone have any recent experience with or knowledge of this?

Thank you,
Danielle

ReyP

You work that out with the shipper. It is my understanding that all of your household is completely tax free with the exception of individual items that have values in excess of 3,500. Individual items, not the value of your entire household!!! They have a form where you declare it, so it is up to you to declare it or not

I payed nothing in taxes for my household shipment. Only for the car.

Now the above is shipping from the states, if you are overseas I have no idea.

RudyEW

ReyP,

Great information.  Good to know.  What taxes are involved with shipping a car? I will ship from the states.  Any information you can provide will be helpful.   Thanks.

Rudy

wpotvin

There is a 25% excise tax for bringing a car into PR.  The value is based on the invoice on a new car or a value set by PR on a used one.  There is a website to get the appraisal and tax estimate https://siscon.hacienda.gobierno.pr/Sis … 1Form.aspx .

Shipping is in the range of $1000 from NY, $700 from Fla.  The dance goes something like this:

0. Get a PR car insurance policy. Ship car.
1. Shipper notifies you that the car is in port in San Juan
2. You go to the port with documents from the shipper and lots of IDs.  Bring your Social Security Card (weird but they want it.)
3. At the port, first, go to the shipping office then the tax office (Same building in Port).  Get tax papers.
4. Go from port to Hacienda tax office downtown and pay the tax.  Some say bring cash, but I recently paid with a Master Card.
5. Go back to port and pick up the car, they give you a temp plate.
6. Go to an inspection place (at many gas stations). Get the inspection,
7. Goto DMV - PR DMV competes with those in any country.  Tip - be there before they open in the A.M..  They hand out appointment tickets and cut off the line when they have all they can handle that day.  Tickets are gone very early.   Wait in line - could be several hours.  If you ask, they will give you an estimate of what time your number may come up, so you can go away and come back at some risk.
8.  Get your plates and drive off.
9. Stop at the nearest toll plaza and get a toll pass kit (toll passes are essential) complete the registration online.

See- it is simple.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Puerto Rico

All of Puerto Rico's guide articles