Importing a car to Romania from the US

Hello everyone, I had a question, because I have no idea who to contact about this in Romania in terms of official places, or firms, to get definite legal answers or anything (if you have any recommendations of who to contact, that would be very appreciated) I plan on moving to Jupanesti Gorj or Arad

I'm planning on leaving the US for good and moving to Romania permanently, although I'm not a Romanian citizen, but I am an American citizen, (I speak fluent Romanian though) that's already a different issue but adding details if it helps, I wanted to see how importing a car would be and what to expect in fees at minimum, an idea, or what anyone would recommend in this situation that has gone through importing a car to Romania based off of my current situation.

One thing that scares me is I've heard from a few people that importing and registering 3.6L v6 engine would be crazy expensive in Romania, considered a small engine in the USA, but a big engine in Romania, but then I also don't even know if registering or importing a 3.6L is even legal in Romania because the engine might be too big? All speculation at this point, I don't know who to officially contact for information.

I'm planning on bringing a salvage rebuilt 14 Cadillac CTS VSport Twin Turbo 3.6L v6 420hp/430tq (on stock tune) that I've owned for 3 years and already paid sales tax on here in the US. Do I have to also pay the VAT taxes in Romania too? I ask because I'm planning on permanently moving there, not sure if they can waive it like other countries can in that case when you move there permanently that I've read about, If Romania doesn't do that, what would be the % for VAT?

Would there be any other way to avoid the VAT tax or minimize the amount by shipping it to another country? Shipping alone is like 3x cheaper in Germany, but then they want a 31% deposit which is unrealistic to then also register in Romania until you get your refund from Germany, too much cash I don't have. (I've heard the VAT in Romania can be more expensive than my cars value since its salvage) but the car is otherwise flawless

Although I'm not looking to do anything illegal, definitely only looking for only legal pathways because I would NOT want to risk my future chance at citizenship in any case, if that's not even possible to lessen or waive, or avoid VAT, please let me know, this is going to be the first time in my life doing anything, or making a big move like this.

I've also heard that you can drive with US plates, in my case Arizona plates for a limited amount of time in Romania? Does anyone know how many months or years you can do that for before the car has to be registered there? This would be very helpful as it would give me time to raise more money.

For anyone familiar, if importing a "big" 3.6L engine in Romania is unrealistic in terms of costs, I also have the option of getting a salvage CTS with a small 2.0 engine for a few thousand before I leave the US, so if you guys are familiar with engine sizes and costs in Romania and think I should do that instead of importing a v6, please let me know, I don't mind losing the engine itself.

I just put a lot of money into my current car in body kits and what not, and I could just swap them on a smaller 2.0 engine identical car if I have to, in the worst case scenario which would still work out, I just don't want to lose all the money I put into it (I spent like 10K on it in parts last month) before I knew I would even be leaving the US, and exporting a smaller engine 2.0 salvage car and swapping body panels would still be cheaper than buying a new car in Romania, so that's my situation, starting a new life there from scratch.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or advice
Thank you

Gas in Europe is not as cheap as it is in the USA. How many miles does your car do by the gallon?

Hi,

Sorry, but I'm going to have to break your American habits.

First point: to be able to register in Europe a vehicle not marketed, it will be necessary to pass by a technical control and the change of many parts. At a minimum, all windows / headlights & accessories / ... must be changed because everything must be validated via European standards.

Second point: the larger the engine, the more you will pay in entry fees / registration tax / annual tax taxes / insurance / ... Whatever its year of construction

Third point: you will make thieves happy. Because a vehicle of this style will get you noticed immediately. And not for good reasons ...

Fourth point: the cost of gasoline is at least 3X higher than in the USA.

Fifth point: if you ever break something, you will row to find authorized parts on the European market ...

In conclusion, sell your adult toy to buy locally ...

SimCityAT wrote:

Gas in Europe is not as cheap as it is in the USA. How many miles does your car do by the gallon?

16/24, slightly less than a 2.0 motor with a 2.0 engine that does 22/30 mpg, I am expecting fuel to be $6 a gallon after liter conversion, I am aware of that.

phipiemar wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, but I'm going to have to break your American habits.

First point: to be able to register in Europe a vehicle not marketed, it will be necessary to pass by a technical control and the change of many parts. At a minimum, all windows / headlights & accessories / ... must be changed because everything must be validated via European standards.

Second point: the larger the engine, the more you will pay in entry fees / registration tax / annual tax taxes / insurance / ... Whatever its year of construction

Third point: you will make thieves happy. Because a vehicle of this style will get you noticed immediately. And not for good reasons ...

Fourth point: the cost of gasoline is at least 3X higher than in the USA.

Fifth point: if you ever break something, you will row to find authorized parts on the European market ...

In conclusion, sell your adult toy to buy locally ...

I understand this, however selling is not an option, I would lose 10k just in parts in the last month alone, therefore I am looking for advice or what to expect in fees for anyone who's imported a car in Romania because the car is coming with me 100%, all I've heard is speculation in my personal life, no definite answers of how the import process is, and I don't know anyone that has imported a car in the past to Romania, so I don't know what to expect which is why I am coming here, and if a smaller 2.0 engine would be wisest to import, I could certainly do that and just swap body panels on an identical car in order to cut my losses, as I can easily get a basically new car for a few thousand in that case (salvage) and ship and still come up cheaper, where I wouldn't have the chance to do that in Europe, would be losing huge amount of money if selling, and I would have to pay full retail price on a car in Europe
Thank you

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v … dex_en.htm

Hello,

Let's clarify few things.  You are an adult and vaccinated.  You do what you want as we do what we want.  Many of us have traveled / lived in many countries.  The answers given are based on our experiences. If that doesn't satisfy you, it's your right.  As it is the right of everyone on the forum to respond or not to a discussion.  On this ...  :cheers:

PS: I have a lot of Romanian friends and your adventure is part of the story style that always makes them laugh.

Hello,
Andrei here, I can help you with the car import from us.

I know some guys who did that.
Let me know if you still need help

Regards.

Wow

It's not really like this Idk what experience you had in Romania and in what city you live. But definitely it's not like you describe.

Nobody will still your car who told you that?? You think this is the only US supercar in Romania?

You don't have to change LOTS of parts to pass the inspection. did you do it before?
I have lot's of guys who import cars from us and is nothing like you say
You just misinform and I don't think this is the point of the forum. You just wrote some thought that you think it's like this but You Don't Know.

And  the service shouldn't be a problem there are lots of good mechanics all over the country.
This is not the ONLY american car in Romania.

Relax.

Have the o good one mate!

Andrei Dragos wrote:

Wow

It's not really like this Idk what experience you had in Romania and in what city you live. But definitely it's not like you describe.

Nobody will still your car who told you that?? You think this is the only US supercar in Romania?

I think you're reading other people's replies, I agree with you, attention will be anywhere no matter what country, saying the car will attract attention and "thieves" just because it's in Romania is just silly and odd to mention, because that's everywhere and changing a million parts doesn't sound right to comply with EU standards, I haven't heard Romanians say they had to do this..

Basically my main question if you could help me Andrei was, if bringing a 3.6L to Romania was even worth it, or if I should just swap all my body parts
(additional $10,000 in body kit parts I recently purchased that I don't want to lose)
to an identical car with a smaller 2.0 Liter engine instead and then import that car instead, I've heard others say that 3.6L engines can be very expensive for yearly taxes in Romania as it's considered a big engine, so that was my main question? Here in the US it's a small engine.

Also is restored salvage allowed in Romania? A car that fully passed all US inspections and was deemed safe for the road and has a history of salvage, but no longer has salvage and fully rebuilt?

Thank you

hey my whatsapp no is +XXXX

Moderated by Julien 3 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Andrei Dragos wrote:

hey my whatsapp no is **********

Share personal details via private messages

So what did you do, what was the outcome? I am thinking of doing the same.